Bucs prefer opposite approach to Bills at QB

RJsackedagain

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Bucs/Buc...ontract_t.shtml

255482[/snapback]

I think this is a bit of a cheap shot by Gruden at MM & TD. They have obviously seen enough of JP in mini camp, training camp, pre-season and practice both on the field and in the film room to feel that he is ready to assume the responsibility.

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

255482[/snapback]

I had the same notion as John Gruden, when it was specualated that TD and MM's decision was somewhat influencd by Roethlesberger's success in Pittsburgh!

255482[/snapback]

Somehow I doubt he gave Rich Gannon the same speech.

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers.

No kidding, Chuckie. Chris Simms sank like the Titanic in big games and fell out of the first round ( draft ) for that reason.

No kidding, Chuckie. Chris Simms sank like the Titanic in big games and fell out of the first round ( draft ) for that reason.

255508[/snapback]

Mr. Simms never really seemed to shine in a big game against Oklahoma, or any other college team. If his name wasn't Simms, would he have even been drafted????

I started a thread about this 3 weeks ago...Gruden makes a valid point

255498[/snapback]

I just gotta ask, what kind of kool-aid is 80% of this board drinking? Sure I'm not at practice everyday or at mini-camp, but J.P. isn't that good at this point in his career. It will be a very rough season to be a Bills fan unless our running game is soooooooooooo good we won't have to rely on JP. If we do, don't count on playoffs, don't count on a winning season either.

Holy crap! I can't believe Gruden said that about Buffalo. This kind of head coach smack talk rarely happens, I'm shocked. To color the Bills situation as a team "giving" a player a position is completely baseless and shows Gruden is losing his grip in Tampa. Bledsoe defaulted the position to a first round QB pickup last season. Every organization knows that when you spend a first round pick on a QB the clock is running and you must let him play to see if he was the right choice. Simms was a third round choice so he sits his butt on the bench till he proves otherwise. Losman was a much better prospect since he was going in the first round whether it was the Bills, or another team that pulled the trigger. That comment was classless, Gruden is done down there anyways. See ya pieface.

It could be that Chris Simms sucks.  Good thing Rothlisberger didn't go to the Bucs.

255501[/snapback]

Being a UT alum, let me assure you, Chris Simms is not very good! Think left handed, blond haired version of RJ...all the physical tools, absolutely nothing between the ears...not "football tough"! He may turn out to be a serviceable back-up or short term starter, but he will not be a star QB in the NFL. He just does not have the "it" that playing QB successfully, seems to require. You get that rare guy, like a Rich Gannon, who kind of finds "it" after years of riding the pine, and sporadic playing time, but I really don't think Simms is one of those tye players, because he just doesn't seem to handle failure very well. He cracks under pressure, and tends to let mistakes snowball...great arm though!

I think most writers, and most fans are missing two things.

#1)Drew did not fit the style of offense MM wants to run

#2)Drew was not that good last year, and has had one strectch of eight games in the last 5 years where he has done anything. Guess handing the job to Griese last year after Johnson sucked is somehow differant

Gruden's argument isn't out of left field, but I think he's oversimplifying the situation. It’s great in theory to go with the whole best player gets to play philosophy and not hand a position to anyone but it often doesn’t work out well in real life. Because the QB position affects so much of the offensive philosophy and team chemistry you can’t keep on changing it for the flavor of the month. You have to have consistency or you might end up losing your team or your job, just look at Wade “Never Have Losing Seasons” Philips.

Being a UT alum, let me assure you, Chris Simms is not very good!  Think left handed, blond haired version of RJ...all the physical tools, absolutely nothing between the ears...not "football tough"!  He may turn out to be a serviceable back-up or short term starter, but he will not be a star QB in the NFL.  He just does not have the "it" that playing QB successfully, seems to require.  You get that rare guy, like a Rich Gannon, who kind of finds "it" after years of riding the pine, and sporadic playing time, but I really don't think Simms is one of those tye players, because he just doesn't seem to handle failure very well.  He cracks under pressure, and tends to let mistakes snowball...great arm though!

255542[/snapback]

Didn't he often get benched for Major Applewhite during his career? Maybe my memory is getting hazy...

I think most writers, and most fans are missing two things.

#1)Drew did not fit the style of offense MM wants to run

#2)Drew was not that good last year, and has had one strectch of eight games in the last 5 years where he has done anything. Guess handing the job to Griese last year after Johnson sucked is somehow differant

255547[/snapback]

It is true that many on the outside overrate Bledsoe's role in the Bills success but we also have the habit of underestimating his positive effect on some wins. Also, the whole first eight games were his only good games is a bit of an over simplification. He had some flashes in scattered games over his three years here that sometimes gave us some hope. The problem wasn't so much that he was always terrible most of his time, it was his inconsistency, especially in big games.

255508[/snapback]

no offense, but at least sims played in big games. when tulane played texas with losman there, they lost to the tune of 63-0 (or something like that).