Women's March On Washington

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did you leave?

I'm gauging perspective.

When I was seven my father broke his back and we moved back east to live with my grandparents while he healed and went through a career change through a vocational program. Two years later, he took a job as an intern making $12k a year as a computer programmer, while my mother worked selling Avon while she raised my three siblings and I. From there, until I moved out of the house at 18 to go to college, we lived in a poor Hispanic neighborhood in a largely shuttered factory town. I was only the second member of my family to attend college.

Actually, I was almost seven. I'm pretty sure I was still six when the move happened.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

When I was seven my father broke his back and we moved back east to live with my grandparents while he healed and went through a career change through a vocational program. Two years later, he took a job as an intern making $12k a year as a computer programmer, while my mother worked selling Avon while she raised my three siblings and I. From there, until I moved out of the house at 18 to go to college, we lived in a poor Hispanic neighborhood in a largely shuttered factory town. I was only the second member of my family to attend college.

Can't help but notice you're intentionally hiding the year.

Can't help but notice you're intentionally hiding the year.

I'm what? You're a idiot.

You're asking me questions. I'm humoring you and answering them, because I'm interested to see where you're trying to take this. Perhaps you should ask different or more specific questions if you're looking to extract specific information. It's not my job to read your mind.

I'm what? You're a idiot.

You're asking me questions. I'm humoring you and answering them, because I'm interested to see where you're trying to take this. Perhaps you should ask different or more specific questions if you're looking to extract specific information. It's not my job to read your mind.

I asked you when. You told me how old you were. Who's the idiot?

I'll ask you point blank then: what years were you in North Las Vegas and in what years were you in a shuttered factory town inhabited largely by Latinos?

I asked you when. You told me how old you were. Who's the idiot?

You asked me when I left, and I answered "when I was seven", which is a perfectly reasonable response to your question. If you wanted to know what year, you should have asked what year. Again, I'm not a mind reader, you muppet.

The move was in late 1982 - early 1983. Following that, we lived in the poor Hispanic neighborhood until 1995.

You asked me when I left, and I answered "when I was seven", which is a perfectly reasonable response to your question. If you wanted to know what year, you should have asked what year. Again, I'm not a mind reader, you muppet.

The move was in late 1982 - early 1983. Following that, we lived in the poor Hispanic neighborhood until 1995.

But long story short, it's been more than 20 years since you've had any experience in any area with poverty. And more than 30 since you've been in a predominately black area.

That's it. That's all I wanted to know. Helps me understand your perspective.

Edited by The Big Cat

But long story short, it's been more than 20 years since you've had any experience in any area with poverty. And more than 30 since you've been in a predominately black area.

Just out of curiosity, what is your point for all this?

Do we have no perspective if we haven't been to a predominantly black area lately?

And further, what is it you think you see in those areas, and how do you believe they got that way?

Grand. I've played your game assuming you were getting to a point.

Can you please make it?

Keep up the good fight. Press.

FWIW... I am opposite. First 20 I spent "spoiled" in West Seneca... Learned a lot through what my parents experienced (yes they stayed together, never split up, like my wife and I the last 23 years... As do her parents) during civil rights movement... Still an echo chamber though in lily white area. Last 30 in areas where it is relatively working types to working poor, to flat out poor, racially diverse. Areas where it is majority AA (my town, not exactly an echo chamber @ 85/15% white & changing)... But a mile over where my wife heads library is 70/30% AA. You probably know the areas. My work, right next to where Obama got his start @ Altgeld (a.k.a.= "Alligator") Gardens

Very diverse... Probably why our thinking is different.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Okay. I fundamentally disagree with you then. The "drug problem" is massively reduced in scope when there is care and stability beginning with the family. And I believe the same is WAY more true for major offenses. So, to me there is a direct line (a home to prison pipeline, if you will) connecting broken homes and the deeds which lead to incarceration.

You mean your attempted deflection to a point I wasn't defending?

In this case: that there should be no consequences for reckless behavior.

If you define strawman in some other way, I'm all ears.

no. you said planned parenthood offered health for men and women. my point is could the woman who gave me whichever VD i had go to planned parenthood time after time and that jst be okayted?

On the topic of perspective, imagination understanding, one of my favorite poems. By Wallace Stevens. Digest it, take it in (only one sentence) & apply it to this thread, life or wherever:

The Snowman

-Wallace Stevens

One must have a mind of winter

To regard the frost and the boughs

Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;

And have been cold a long time

To behold the junipers shagged with ice,

The spruces rough in the distant glitter

Of the January sun; and not to think

Of any misery in the sound of the wind,

In the sound of a few leaves,

Which is the sound of the land

Full of the same wind

That is blowing in the same bare place

For the listener, who listens in the snow,

And, nothing himself, beholds

Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.

Just out of curiosity, what is your point for all this?

Do we have no perspective if we haven't been to a predominantly black area lately?

And further, what is it you think you see in those areas, and how do you believe they got that way?

Grand. I've played your game assuming you were getting to a point.

Can you please make it?

Wasn't making a point, just evaluating my perspective based on others'. May be they know something I don't know. May be I know something they don't know.

To LA's questions: I'm younger than most of you guys, so I think there's some genuine wisdom to tap into on this forum. Some of you are nuttier than squirrel ****, but others seem to articulate the ways of the world in a manner worth paying attention to. I don't think you lack perspective in this sense. But I do think there's a significant gap between the reality that helped your shape your understanding of human nature and the reality that exists in some of these areas.

I don't "think" I see anything in these areas. I know what I see in these areas because I spent a year of my life working on behalf of people in these areas, out of an office IN one of those areas. That was from March 2014 until April 2015. A lot of my preconceived notions were confirmed. But when you have to observe things from the macro level while simultaneously dealing with individuals (as was the nature of my job) the complexity of it all is just insane. And when the stakes are as high as they are (784 homicides in Chicago last year), it's pretty god damned daunting. For reference: a kid was shot about 20 feet from desk, just outside the exterior wall behind where I sat. Sounded like an industrial barrel skidding across the pavement. That was one of about two dozen shootings that happened in about a four block radius during my time, but that's limited to the ones that were reported. I think our neighborhood had seven homicides over the course of that year.

I know that things got that way because of a pervasive culture which deemphasizes family structure and education collided head on with diminishing job opportunities, available guns and public assistance programs and so-called community leaders who were motivated to either maintain status quo or collect for themselves first and foremost. Sprinkle in some paranoia, a little bit of pride and ignorance and a heavy sense of entitlement, and you get a community that's--simply put--stuck. And we weren't even the worst neighborhood in Chicago.

But as the families went, so too did the communities and the agreed upon sense of right and wrong. Now suddenly "dignity" gets defined in a whole new way--It's everybody else's fault by mine and don't you DARE tell me what to do. Then they got guns.

It's my opinion that the moral authority begins at home. And for most of these people, growing up at home meant growing up in chaos. I could go much much deeper, and we can get into the pubic policies which have contributed to all of this. But the long and short of it: that was my experience. I know what I know based on it.

Edited by The Big Cat

Wasn't making a point, just evaluating my perspective based on others'. May be they know something I don't know. May be I know something they don't know.

To LA's questions: I'm younger than most of you guys, so I think there's some genuine wisdom to tap into on this forum. Some of you are nuttier than squirrel ****, but others seem to articulate the ways of the world in a manner worth paying attention to. I don't think you lack perspective in this sense. But I do think there's a significant gap between the reality that helped your shape your understanding of human nature and the reality that exists in some of these areas.

I don't "think" I see anything in these areas. I know what I see in these areas because I spent a year of my life working on behalf of people in these areas, out of an office IN one of those areas. That was from March 2014 until April 2015. A lot of my preconceived notions were confirmed. But when you have to observe things from the macro level while simultaneously dealing with individuals (as was the nature of my job) the complexity of it all is just insane. And when the stakes are as high as they are (784 homicides in Chicago last year), it's pretty god damned daunting. For reference: a kid was shot about 20 feet from desk, just outside the exterior wall behind where I sat. Sounded like an industrial barrel skidding across the pavement. That was one of about two dozen shootings that happened in about a four block radius during my time, but that's limited to the ones that were reported. I think our neighborhood had seven homicides over the course of that year.

I know that things got that way because of a pervasive culture which deemphasizes family structure and education collided head on with diminishing job opportunities, available guns and public assistance programs and so-called community leaders who were motivated to either maintain status quo or collect for themselves first and foremost. Sprinkle in some paranoia, a little bit of pride and ignorance and a heavy sense of entitlement, and you get a community that's--simply put--stuck. And we weren't even the worst neighborhood in Chicago.

But as the families went, so too did the communities and the agreed upon sense of right and wrong. Now suddenly "dignity" gets defined in a whole new way--It's everybody else's fault by mine and don't you DARE tell me what to do. Then they got guns.

It's my opinion that the moral authority begins at home. And for most of these people, growing up at home meant growing up in chaos. I could go much much deeper, and we can get into the pubic policies which have contributed to all of this. But the long and short of it: that was my experience. I know what I know based on it.

Nothing like a consensus of 1.

I can extrapolate society's problems based on a handful of incidents I've witnessed as well. Since this is the way science works, I bet we came to the same conclusions.

Nothing like a consensus of 1.

I can extrapolate society's problems based on a handful of incidents I've witnessed as well. Since this is the way science works, I bet we came to the same conclusions.

Interestingly, I'm sure spending my entire childhood growing up poor, living in minority communities, being in their homes, attending the same schools, playing on the same teams, many of these friendships I still retain, in no way informed me of what it is like to grow up in these circumstances.

this is such a jaded viewpoint confirming how little you actually understand those in poverty, felons/ex-cons, minorities, and many people across this country who struggle to even live paycheck to paycheck. your confirmed pre conceived notions likely becauset you were looking for them - but the importance of that is you already had a viewpoint and bias.

and, yes, i have MUCH more experience with these types of people then you. your one year is a pale comparison.

"...Some of you are nuttier than squirrel ****, but others seem to articulate the ways of the world in a manner worth paying attention to..."

I know I fall on the "nuttier the squirrel ****" (how did Meathead get past that filter) side. This place is so one sided, it's an echo chamber.

Anyway, Great post. It is always nice to see you posting in a place like this.

"...Some of you are nuttier than squirrel ****, but others seem to articulate the ways of the world in a manner worth paying attention to..."

I know I fall on the "nuttier the squirrel ****" (how did Meathead get past that filter) side. This place is so one sided, it's an echo chamber.

Anyway, Great post. It is always nice to see you posting in a place like this.

the echo chamber is only an echo chamber to you because you agree with him. he spoke in platitudes and figuratively. simply because he worked with poor folks doesn't mean he is an expert.

Joseph Goebbels worked with Jews, he must be an expert to quote.