Sharing the 53 man roster

13player

As a current executive I can only say what a bad idea!

I have learned over the years that allowing two people to have authority over the same thing is asking for big trouble, and Pegula knows this. Having two employees share responsibility means you have employees sharing accountability on the same job. What you have just created is a power struggle waiting to happen, even when the decision making responsibilities are clearly drawn.

I am surprised that this has come out, I would be surprised if Whaley was ok with this and I would not be surprised that if the new coach gets any say over the roster, he will feel like he has won the first fight, even though it may not have been intended that way.

Pegula has put himself in a position to pick a side of the war that is yet to come at some stage and unless the new coach screws things up worse than Whaley (which I don't think is possible) if this actually does happen Whaley knows his days are numbered.

This coaching hire happened fast! and that's ok but Pegula did not get to where he is because he is stupid and cant make decisions, so here is what I think Pegula is doing, again strictly looking at it from a business side with cold emotion.

- Something happened on the phone call with Rex for the owner to quickly speed up his plan, if things went down the way they did and Pegula needed to control the situation, I believe Rex forced Pegula to react prematurely which is part of being a leader.

- If Pegula is ok to buyout Rex's enormous contract its not because he can its because he had a plan and Rex maybe unknowingly pushed Pegula to act faster.

- Pegula is not dumb, so why does say he may allow the roster to be shared, means two things, he is not happy with the job Whaley has done, so he just planted the first seed of doubt in his GM. His GM is now on the hot seat and he knows it if he did not know it already, again believing Pegual won't allow them to share the responsibility, he is to smart to make that mistake.

-Now Pegual will get to see how Whaley reacts, Pegula did not get rich because he gave money away, so I believe he is setting up Whaley. Insecurity at an executive level is as bad as have two QBs, your always on the hot seat.

I would guess that Whaley is looking to the future and Pegula knows it. Whaley does not want to get fired and hurt his future opportunities because he has not done a good job here and other owners will look to this and it may impact his decision as well as theirs.

So here it is, I think Pegula planted the seed of discussion to open the door of a peaceful transition of power, Pegula saves money by not firing him and Whaley saves face by not being fired, Pegula gives him a nice going away check but certainly way less than firing him and Whaley gets to resign because of a difference of opinion on how to move the club forward.

I think Whaley and Rex were both gone this year but Pegula is not a football guy and neither is Russ, so they need someone to lead the QB search as well as Draft prep that is why Pegula could not allow Rex to control the situation, He canned Rex, to make sure that did not happened, Hired the anti Rex fast, a guy he feels good about, a guy he knows wants the chance to run the team and the roster and start the qb and draft process, this allows him to make a deal with a horrible GM, save cash and now take a little time to find the right GM, who wants a 4 - 3, likes the coach and will work with the team and office with no accountability on the roster side and little need to in fight.

Whaley will be gone in the next 8 weeks

Just my opinion.

Has this come out? Where are you hearing this?

Leroi, who is the best inside source we have on this board, has said that Whaley drove the process. I know JW has hinted that is not his understanding, but I find it hard to believe a power play against Whaley is about to happen. If the Pegulas wanted rid of him they'd have fired him with Rex. Monos and Hanrahan would have been quite capable of running an interview process if needed.

I have learned over the years that allowing two people to have authority over the same thing is asking for big trouble, and Pegula knows this. Having two employees share responsibility means you have employees sharing accountability on the same job. What you have just created is a power struggle waiting to happen, even when the decision making responsibilities are clearly drawn.

I am surprised that this has come out, I would be surprised if Whaley was ok with this and I would not be surprised that if the new coach gets any say over the roster, he will feel like he has won the first fight, even though it may not have been intended that way.

I agree, very bad idea for exactly the reasons you cite: everybody's decision is no one's accountability.

Where has this come out? I've heard speculation, but have the Bills actually announced this?

Also, it would be very unusual (I think) to fire a GM just before the NFL draft. Teams usually cut ties either after the season, or after the draft.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

It was posted in Sully's story on the new hiring.

I would have agreed with you before the hiring, but this are starting add up, Rex was a reactionary firing, We know he wanted to fire him but from all accounts Rex wanted to speak with Pegula privately after a conference call with Pegula, Whaley and Rex, next thing you know Rex is gone and Pegula telling everyone that that was not the plan at that moment and Whaley knew nothing about it.

That to me tells me Pegula was forced to react for a very specific reason, Guys like Pegula just don't stray from a plan without a very good reason.

Again strictly speaking from a cooperate executive point of view.

Something is going on at Bills drive this whole thing went down to fast, there has to be at least one more ball to drop here.

I would have agreed with you before the hiring, but this are starting add up, Rex was a reactionary firing, We know he wanted to fire him but from all accounts Rex wanted to speak with Pegula privately after a conference call with Pegula, Whaley and Rex, next thing you know Rex is gone and Pegula telling everyone that that was not the plan at that moment and Whaley knew nothing about it.

That to me tells me Pegula was forced to react for a very specific reason, Guys like Pegula just don't stray from a plan without a very good reason.

Something is going on at Bills drive this whole thing went down to fast, there has to be at least one more ball to drop here.

Well then it's likely his opinion/speculation and not actually fact. He doesn't know for sure that and is likely writing his own narrative.

I agree, very bad idea for exactly the reasons you cite: everybody's decision is no one's accountability.

Where has this come out? I've heard speculation, but have the Bills actually announced this?

Also, it would be very unusual (I think) to fire a GM just before the NFL draft. Teams usually cut ties either after the season, or after the draft.

I agree, But New coach, New Era! coach will decide who they resign, 26 players no joke here and probably wants to be held accountable for his team, not Rex and Whaley's team, make sense to axe Whaley now and start fresh, with new regime deciding who they resign, who the draft and who they go after in free agency. Still time to find a GM, but with all player decisions going to the coach, he really does not need Whaley or a GM.

The shared power thing was in Sully's story posted on our board.

Edited by 13player

Well then it's likely his opinion/speculation and not actually fact. He doesn't know for sure that and is likely writing his own narrative.

I think he's likely writing a narrative he's heard from someone at OBD, but not necessarily someone who is in the "inner circle"

It's notable that a bunch of stuff that's come out (Lynn being a lock, coaching search being a sham) appear to have been mistaken.

I think he's likely writing a narrative he's heard from someone at OBD, but not necessarily someone who is in the "inner circle"

It's notable that a bunch of stuff that's come out (Lynn being a lock, coaching search being a sham) appear to have been mistaken.

Very possible. I just don't believe anything that he says. If it was a different source (outside TBN) then I would take it serious.

Pegula has put himself in a position to pick a side of the war that is yet to come at some stage and unless the new coach screws things up worse than Whaley (which I don't think is possible) if this actually does happen Whaley knows his days are numbered.

This coaching hire happened fast! and that's ok but Pegula did not get to where he is because he is stupid and cant make decisions, so here is what I think Pegula is doing, again strictly looking at it from a business side with cold emotion.

- Something happened on the phone call with Rex for the owner to quickly speed up his plan, if things went down the way they did and Pegula needed to control the situation, I believe Rex forced Pegula to react prematurely which is part of being a leader.

- If Pegula is ok to buyout Rex's enormous contract its not because he can its because he had a plan and Rex maybe unknowingly pushed Pegula to act faster.

- Pegula is not dumb, so why does say he may allow the roster to be shared, means two things, he is not happy with the job Whaley has done, so he just planted the first seed of doubt in his GM. His GM is now on the hot seat and he knows it if he did not know it already, again believing Pegual won't allow them to share the responsibility, he is to smart to make that mistake.

-Now Pegual will get to see how Whaley reacts, Pegula did not get rich because he gave money away, so I believe he is setting up Whaley. Insecurity at an executive level is as bad as have two QBs, your always on the hot seat.

I would guess that Whaley is looking to the future and Pegula knows it. Whaley does not want to get fired and hurt his future opportunities because he has not done a good job here and other owners will look to this and it may impact his decision as well as theirs.

So here it is, I think Pegula planted the seed of discussion to open the door of a peaceful transition of power, Pegula saves money by not firing him and Whaley saves face by not being fired, Pegula gives him a nice going away check but certainly way less than firing him and Whaley gets to resign because of a difference of opinion on how to move the club forward.

I think Whaley and Rex were both gone this year but Pegula is not a football guy and neither is Russ, so they need someone to lead the QB search as well as Draft prep that is why Pegula could not allow Rex to control the situation, He canned Rex, to make sure that did not happened, Hired the anti Rex fast, a guy he feels good about, a guy he knows wants the chance to run the team and the roster and start the qb and draft process, this allows him to make a deal with a horrible GM, save cash and now take a little time to find the right GM, who wants a 4 - 3, likes the coach and will work with the team and office with no accountability on the roster side and little need to in fight.

Just my opinion.

So, Whaley tells Pegula that he should hire the guy. Then immediately after that (within a few weeks), a power struggle erupts and Whaley is let go?

I don't see that happening this year. Maybe next year or some year thereafter.

McDermott probably has mad love for Whaley at this point and is going to be more willing to work with him than a lot of coach/GM relationships. They will agree on most things this year. If Whaley didn't think they would, he would have never recommended the hiring.

A power struggle is a possibility way down the road (at least a year from now). It does not make sense any time in the immediate future.

If Pegula had intended to part ways with Whaley all along, he would have just parted ways with Whaley and moved on. He wouldn't do it as you are suggesting. He would have just hired his new guy and had that new guy help him find a coach.

Isn't it far more likely that Whaley is a team player and gives the coach a lot of say in personnel (as it appears he has done so far since being GM)? Isn't it far more likely that Pegula is assembling a team of people who can work together and win as a team rather than separating responsibility so that he has someone definitive to BLAME when things go wrong?

You implied that you are an executive. When a business owner/entrepreneur is building a team to run his company - does he worry about who he is going to blame if things go wrong? - Answer - no he doesn't - unless he is a self-absorbed douche with no self esteem - or maybe some second generation rich kid who inherited daddy's money/business.

If he is a normal, intelligent, highly successful entrepreneurial business owner (as Pegula has proven to be) he assembles a team of top notch people he trusts to work together for the common good of the enterprise.

Edited by PolishDave

So, Whaley tells Pegula that he should hire the guy. Then immediately after that (within a few weeks), a power struggle erupts and Whaley is let go?

I don't see that happening this year. Maybe next year or some year thereafter.

McDermott probably has mad love for Whaley at this point and is going to be more willing to work with him than a lot of coach/GM relationships. They will agree on most things this year. If Whaley didn't think they would, he would have never recommended the hiring.

I think the "coach will have control over the 53" or "coach will share control" reports are part of the narrative that Whaley did not recommend or was against the hiring, and the Pegulas overruled it.

That seems to be what Wawrow is hinting at, though if he were confident in his sources, he would publish to that effect.

Others have said it isn't so (Sal for example, though his report is a day old; Leroi on this board, for those who feel his gouge is good). You are absolutely correct that if the reports about Whaley being "in the doghouse" and overruled are true (after announcing that he is leading the coaching search), the Pegulas should immediately part ways with Whaley.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Just my opinion.

You are over-thinking the situation to the extent that it borders a conspiracy. With respect to the Rex firing I don't doubt that Rex initiated the phone call and asked if it was true that the owner was considering firing him he should do it before the final game. You are making it seem that it forced the owner to do something that he didn't want to do. That in my opinion is a wrong interpretation of the situation.

Rex isn't usually the smartest person in the room, unless he is in the room with his brother. But he isn't so stupid that he doesn't know how the business he is in works. The reality is that Rex knew that there was substance to the swirling rumors that he was going to be fired soon after the season. It's understandable that he didn't want to face the NY media and the media in general before and after the game dealing with the questions pertaining to his coaching demise.

Let's look at this issue from Pegula's perspective. He is the owner who watches the games. He sees a defense led by a self-proclaimed defensive guru being shredded. He sees a team with a high payroll for players and coaches playing with a lack of intelligence and discipline. The longer Rex coached this team the more chaotic and ineptly it performed. The remedy is simple for the owner: Get rid of the fool that I mistakenly hired. After every season there is an organizational meeting to review the status of the team and the performance of the staff. It's not difficult to conclude that Rex was going to be fired for cause i.e. hideous incompetence.

The issue of Whaley's authority on whether it diminishing or not with the new HCing hire is a manufactured issue not grounded on the reality of how Whaley and this franchise functions. Whaley is not a dictatorial GM who foists his decisions on people. His approach to managing is emphasizing collaboration. Let's look at how he treated Rex? He gave him everything he needed to succeed. He dedicated a draft and free agency to bring in his kind of players. Whatever staff Rex wanted (including his sloppy brother) who added another layer of confusion and incompetency to the mix the braggart HC got. My central point is that there is no authority issue between the GM and HC because this GM is one of the most accommodating bosses in the league. There is no need for a HC to demand an expansion of his responsibilities/authority because it isn't an issue.

The issue of job security for Whaley is the same as it is for all GMs. If you don't win at a satisfactory level that meets the owners' expectations you will be gone. The belief that Whaley will be gone in the next 8 weeks or so is ridiculous.

Edited by JohnC

Next time lead with the Sully info then i dont have to read the analysis based of something this hack said

You are over-thinking the situation to the extent that it borders a conspiracy. With respect to the Rex firing I don't doubt that Rex initiated the phone call and asked if it was true that the owner was considering firing him he should do it before the final game. You are making it seem that it forced the owner to do something that he didn't want to do. That in my opinion is a wrong interpretation of the situation.

Rex isn't usually the smartest person in the room, unless he is in the room with his brother. But he isn't so stupid that he doesn't know how the business he is in works. The reality is that Rex knew that there was substance to the swirling rumors that he was going to be fired soon after the season. It's understandable that he didn't want to face the NY media and the media in general before and after the game dealing with the questions pertaining to his coaching demise.

Let's look at this issue from Pegula's perspective. He is the owner who watches the games. He sees a defense led by a self-proclaimed defensive guru being shredded. He sees a team with a high payroll for players and coaches playing with a lack of intelligence and discipline. The longer Rex coached this team the more chaotic and ineptly it performed. The remedy is simple for the owner: Get rid of the fool that I mistakenly hired. After every season there is an organizational meeting to review the status of the team and the performance of the staff. It's not difficult to conclude that Rex was going to be fired for cause i.e. hideous incompetence.

I agree, Rex knew he was on the "hot seat", not necessarily for lack of playoffs but for the way his D and his team performed.

I think Rex pushed the issue, not because he didn't want to face the NY media, but because he wanted to see his son play in Clemson's championship game. How many times in a guy's life is he going to have that opportunity?

The issue of Whaley's authority on whether it diminishing or not with the new HCing hire is a manufactured issue not grounded on the reality of how Whaley and this franchise functions. Whaley is not a dictatorial GM who foists his decisions on people. His approach to managing is emphasizing collaboration. Let's look at how he treated Rex? He gave him everything he needed to succeed. He dedicated a draft and free agency to bring in his kind of players. Whatever staff Rex wanted (including his sloppy brother) who added another layer of confusion and incompetency to the mix the braggart HC got. My central point is that there is no authority issue between the GM and HC because this GM is one of the most accommodating bosses in the league. There is no need for a HC to demand an expansion of his responsibilities/authority because it isn't an issue.

The issue of job security for Whaley is the same as it is for all GMs. If you don't win at a satisfactory level that meets the owners' expectations you will be gone. The belief that Whaley will be gone in the next 8 weeks or so is ridiculous.

Again, just looking from a business point, something happened on that conference call to force Pegula to react. You are all right, Rex may have said some insulting things and Pegula reacted. I just don't think that Pegula is that kind if guy, In the past he has shown that he is sometimes to passionate but if he had made the plan to fire Rex, and I believe he did, why did he react so fast before the end of the season.

Just an Opinion.

Not for the first time this week I am 100% with you John.

13player suggests Terry acted suddenly in firing Rex. I submit he didn't. I submit he realised his mistake during year 1 of the shambles and came extremely close to making Rex a 1 and done coach. The ONLY and I do believe ONLY reason he didn't is because he realised it is a bad look for a new owner to make his first hire, give the guy a 5 year deal and get rid after 1 year. I think Rex had to make the playoffs or was out from the very start this year.

Not for the first time this week I am 100% with you John.

13player suggests Terry acted suddenly in firing Rex. I submit he didn't. I submit he realised his mistake during year 1 of the shambles and came extremely close to making Rex a 1 and done coach. The ONLY and I do believe ONLY reason he didn't is because he realised it is a bad look for a new owner to make his first hire, give the guy a 5 year deal and get rid after 1 year. I think Rex had to make the playoffs or was out from the very start this year.

I never suggested he acted suddenly, I am stating he acted out side his plan. I believe he wanted to fire Rex, I also believe he had a plan on how and why he was going to do it. I know very few executives in any industry that act outside the plan unless something forces then to change the plan and not discuss with any key trusted sources and request opinions.

He may have said to himself - Aw screw it I was going to Fire Rex next week but he just pissed me off so I will do it now without seeking any counsel, that is well with in his rights to do. I just do not know any executives outside of Trump who operate this way. Decisions are made for a desired outcome, calculated, managed and prepared for, when you change the plan because you feel like changing the plan, you willingly put the rest of your teams plan in Jeopardy.

I could be overthinking this, I just believe something bigger is out there, to me the proof points to Whaley is next, and for all those people who don't think he would let Whaley lead the search and then fire the guy. This happens all time here is the reason - if they had a plan which they did it would have involved Whaley, he also would have had many discussions on the type of guy they wanted, so continue with the plan in place, just pick up best you can on where you broke away from it.

Ultimately Pegula must have wanted the new coach that was chosen and he signed off on, Whaley was just a Pion to bring in the people.

Again just my opinion and thinking through as a business person. Whaley's days are numbered.