McDermott x's and o's

boyst

What game want? Bandit said he would also help.

This is going to be helpful for our linebackers and corners, specifically the safeties as he doesn't need stellar safety play to hinge his defense upon.

Pass rush is not primary number one for him, its a result of all moving part of his defense.

I'll do the best I can to break down anything ya want. I watch a lot of panther games to watch Newton suck. I'll do a big post tonight, as well.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What game want? Bandit said he would also help.

This is going to be helpful for our linebackers and corners, specifically the safeties as he doesn't need stellar safety play to hinge his defense upon.

Pass rush is not primary number one for him, its a result of all moving part of his defense.

I'll do the best I can to break down anything ya want. I watch a lot of panther games to watch Newton suck. I'll do a big post tonight, as well.

My top 2 from memory would be the Week 1 game vs. Denver--simply because of how well they hid Kuechly from Denver's blocking scheme that was so overtly designed to reach him--and the 2nd NO game in which they held Brees & Co. to 20 points.

Isn't it primarily zone cover 3? So very corner dependent... They let the #1 zone corner in the league walk.

Yes but they've also relied heavily on the ability of all three linebackers to drop quickly into deep zones - that's what I'd like confirmation of JB - seems to me that his defense is helped significantly by having 3 LBs (or at least 2) with almost safety-like speed and dropping ability, which creates very small windows in the zones for QBs to try to thread...

Yes but they've also relied heavily on the ability of all three linebackers to drop quickly into deep zones - that's what I'd like confirmation of JB - seems to me that his defense is helped significantly by having 3 LBs (or at least 2) with almost safety-like speed and dropping ability, which creates very small windows in the zones for QBs to try to thread...

I distinctly recall Luke on a number of occasions doing exactly what you said.

So no keuchley and no norman made for a rough year.

Without treading on the de facto X's and O's, his defense was tailored to LB coverage from guys like Davis/Kuechly/Thompson, all of whom are very athletic and excellent in coverage. Prior to having those 3, he played a LOT of Cover 3. After he got those 3 and could mix and match them in nickel sets, he moved to using more Cover-1.

Without treading on the de facto X's and O's, his defense was tailored to LB coverage from guys like Davis/Kuechly/Thompson, all of whom are very athletic and excellent in coverage. Prior to having those 3, he played a LOT of Cover 3. After he got those 3 and could mix and match them in nickel sets, he moved to using more Cover-1.

Either way we need 4 new safeties, probably 2 LBs, and at least 1 corner.

Got it.

Safe to say that Brandon Spikes won't be part of the team's plans next year... and Preston Brown is probably a goner too. Ragland probably needs to lose some weight and speed-train...

Didn't Atlanta hang like 47 points on them in week 4 or 5?

Julio Jones over 300 yards receiving.

They finished with the 10th defense DVOA, which just shows their schedule was brutal. Our D DVOA went from 27th under Wanny in 2012, to 4th in 2013 under Pettine, to 2nd in 2014 under Schwartz, to 24th in 2015 and 26th in 2016 under Rex.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Either way we need 4 new safeties, probably 2 LBs, and at least 1 corner.

Yeah, that's probably true.

I'd say that re-signing Zach Brown would help the LB situation.

Got it.

Safe to say that Brandon Spikes won't be part of the team's plans next year... and Preston Brown is probably a goner too. Ragland probably needs to lose some weight and speed-train...

No Spikes for sure. If I thought that Preston Brown could fetch a mid-round pick, then I'd say look for a trade, but I don't see that happening. They might have to go the Jim Schwartz method of simply hiding him in zone coverage when they need to--if he plays the Will spot and is the 1st LB off the field in nickel sets, he can probably contribute.

Ragland...sigh. Blokes will laser me for this, but I simply wasn't a Ragland guy. He's more athletic than he gets credit for, but I don't see a Kuechly or a Davis looking at him. Maybe he can drop down to 235ish LBs and acquit himself in coverage as you say...that would be a huge bonus.

Teams get crushed. It happens. Welcome to watching the NFL. Give it a try.

You're reading him wrong methinks...I didn't see that as an indictment so much as a question of how they approached scheming against the opponent.

What I can say is Mcdermott was assistant to Jim Johnson' Philly eagles defense. When Jim Johnson passed Mcdermott was the dc. He is a disciplinarian...He runs the 4 3 defense. GOOD..let him straighten out lazy dareus....

this is a great hire....

If Mccoy comes....Will Phillip Rivers come?

He better get the full 5 year.