Brian Hoyer anybody?

They were 7-6 when they benched Hoyer, not 7-8. They benched him with 3 games remaining.

I accept Hoyer replacing Tyrod is not exciting for 2017. It would not be a move intended to be. It would be about not paying a caretaker massive money while we draft guys to be the long term answer. Whether that is a Watson this year or a Darnold next.

What strikes me as really spinning wheels is constantly trying to reload and build excitement for the year immediately ahead. Eventually this team has to start looking at the long term. As I keep saying if we could find a way to make Tyrod's deal another 1 year type with a cheap out in 2017 I'd be totally in favour of keeping him on. Three years of Tyrod is, to me, spinning wheels even though I totally agree he is the best we have had since the first year of Bledsoe.

Either way - He was benched because he was playing poorly. They went manziel for the last 3 games searching for a spark.

It all comes down to QB in this league. If you think Tyrod and Hoyer are equivalent - I would say go Hoyer. But Hoyer may not come here... Tyrod is under contract so he's a sure thing.

Also - if you think you have the slightest chance of ending this ridiculous playoff drought with Tyrod, you have to pull the trigger. It's embarassing and a stain to the franchise.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was bad against us (we made Peyton Manning and then Aaron Rodgers look bad a couple of weeks later) but he played well that year in Cleveland. They were 7-6 when they benched him for Manziel. It was a management decision not a coaching one. And it was a huge mistake.

He was what he is a middling qb. He wasn't playing well at all. Before the 3 game skid that led to his benching he had 11 tds to 8 ints. He had 2 games completing less than 40% of his passes and this was before his last 3 games where he went for 1 td and 5 ints. He finished the year at 13 tds and 12 ints. If Tyrod proved this year to not be the answer then these numbers absolutely show Hoyer isn't the answer to any question.

not saying he is a good qb but they were 7-4 at one point that season

Tim Tebow led a team to the playoffs and won a game.

Wrong. Cleveland couldn't help him. In 16 games as a starter he went 10-6. That's right... a Cleveland starting Quarterback with a winning record and they ditched him for Jonny freakin' Manziel because the owner wanted to see his boy play.

He started 3 games in 2013 before tearing his ACL against the Bills and Cleveland went 3-0 in those games. Then in 2014 he got them off to a 7-4 start, had two poor games (including one against the Bills) as they dropped to 7-6 and then was benched. It was one of the worst decisions the Browns have made in the last two decades.... and that is saying something.

I'm not sure there are any available who are "better" than Tyrod with the exception of Romo. I don't, however, think his 2nd year was at least as good as his first.... I think there was a slight regression. I also repeat that our line wasn't the problem. He had the longest time to throw of any starting Quarterback in the league. He holds the ball too long. If there is one thing that we could give Tyrod (if despite the stories we keep him) to help take his game on to the next level in year 3 it is a healthy Sammy Watkins and a second major threat on the outside.

That 10-6 is slightly misleading. He gets credit for the Bills game as a w where he went 2-4 before being knocked out of the game. Between the 2 years he went for 18 tds and 16 tds.

I know by reading your last part that you aren't advocating that he is better than Tyrod so I'm not targeting you. I just don't want Hoyer anywhere near this team. I would turn into Ryan/Maj when it came to discussing Hoyer. :nana:

If we don't keep Tyrod we need a veteran presence to compete with Cardale or a potential draft pick. Hoyer is injury prone but has shown some positive things when healthy. QB rating in the 90's in 17 starts the last two years with 25 TD's to 7 INT's. 4 starts this year, before breaking his arm early in his 5th start vs GB. 4 full games games, all over 300 yards passing, 3 games with 2 TD's, no picks. He got his shot with Cleveland, Houston, and Chicago. Not exactly juggernaut offenses. Stat line is trending up fast. I would love to bring Hoyer into the competition.