A break from the drama

Here's what I see happening:

Lynn stays put as OC and continues to learn. The jump from running backs coach to head coach is too much. The guy hasn't even installed his own offense yet and has a lot to learn about everything outside of the running game.

Coughlin gets the nod for HC. I call him TC 2.0 now because he seemed to soften a little bit over the years and isn't such a sour puss anymore. His Giants players loved him and we would too. Upstate NY roots and ties with Terry already. He brings in a 4-3 D.C., a young physical strong safety, Ragland and Shaq both win starting jobs in the new defense and we get this defense nasty again.

Tyrod re-negotiates a $12M deal with incentives. Gets a new blue chip WR to add to the Sammy, Woods mix.

And the best part is I sign off this message board for 2 months until we get closer to the draft so I can avoid all the negativity which is completely out of hand.

Here's what I see happening:

Lynn stays put as OC and continues to learn. The jump from running backs coach to head coach is too much. The guy hasn't even installed his own offense yet and has a lot to learn about everything outside of the running game.

Coughlin gets the nod for HC. I call him TC 2.0 now because he seemed to soften a little bit over the years and isn't such a sour puss anymore. His Giants players loved him and we would too. Upstate NY roots and ties with Terry already. He brings in a 4-3 D.C., a young physical strong safety, Ragland and Shaq both win starting jobs in the new defense and we get this defense nasty again.

Tyrod re-negotiates a $12M deal with incentives. Gets a new blue chip WR to add to the Sammy, Woods mix.

And the best part is I sign off this message board for 2 months until we get closer to the draft so I can avoid all the negativity which is completely out of hand.

Lynn is not staying if he isn't the HC. Too insulting. Also, he's interviewing with several other teams.

Coughlin's record his last few seasons was not unlike Rex's. He also has his legacy to protect. No way he risks his rep with the Bills job. Besides, his wife wants to live in Florida.

Tyrod isn't renegotiating...unless it is for more money. In a QB-starved league, he will have several teams bidding for him the minute the Bills cut him and some of them will be much more attractive than Buffalo.

Rex Ryan was rightly relieved of his duties. This thread isn't intended to debate that. But it must be said since noting these things will (as always) be misconstrued as a support for him and his defense.

Aaron Williams is no Earl Thomas. But he's a very good player. And two straight years, the defense took a nosedive with him out of the lineup. Incredibly, this point will be debated here. Why, I'm not sure.

Well, if you think it was mostly about losing Aaron Williams, why would you say Rex was "rightly relieved?"

Do you think if they kept Rex and picked up a good safety, the team would be in the playoffs next year?

I am not being a smartass either. I am missing what you are getting at. Sorry.

Well, if you think it was mostly about losing Aaron Williams, why would you say Rex was "rightly relieved?"

Do you think if they kept Rex and picked up a good safety, the team would be in the playoffs next year?

The Pats' two starters at safety are first and second round picks. The Cowboys have a first round pick at safety. The Giants have a #33 pick overall at the safety position (Landon Collins, who was the primary reason for their defensive turnaround this year). KC has a top five pick at safety. Oakland starts a first rounder and second rounder, albeit they were drafted by other teams. Atlanta has a first round safety starter. Seattle starts a first rounder and a second rounder. GB starts a first rounder.

Miami is the only ten-win team without a safety drafted early on, and they have arguably the worst defense in the playoffs.

At this point, going for a safety shouldn't be regarded as crazy talk. The game has changed. Moreover, the Bills have a TERRIBLE safety situation right now.

Edited by dave mcbride

I wasn't getting at any of those things, and tried to communicate that.

But since you asked: Rex was rightly let go because he proved incapable of leading men who can't lead themselves. In addition to losing the guy making on the field calls and executing at a much higher level than the guys behind him on the depth chart, we also lost a leader.

On top of that, Rex was also rightly let go because his team's will to compete seemed to fade with their playoff chances. With Aaron Williams still in the lineup, there's reason to believe that process would have been delayed or possibly never happen.

The Pats' two starters at safety are first and second round picks. The Cowboys have a first round pick at safety. The Giants have a #33 pick overall at the safety position (Landon Collins, who was the primary reason for their defensive turnaround this year). KC has a top five pick at safety. Oakland starts a first rounder and second rounder, albeit they were drafted by other teams. Atlanta has a first round safety starter. Seattle starts a first rounder and a second rounder. GB starts a first rounder.

Miami is the only ten-win team without a safety drafted early on, and they have arguably the worst defense in the playoffs.

At this point, going for a safety shouldn't be regarded as crazy talk. The game has changed. Moreover, the Bills have a TERRIBLE safety situation right now.

The above is good information. Thank you. It might be a bit over simplified, but you do make a point.

That said, all of these teams have a top shelf quarterback. Most are very solid on both lines and deep at wide receiver.

When the Giants drafted Landon Collins at with the first pick of round 2, I was familiar with him and knew it was a good move, even though they traded up for him. That said, in 2014 they drafted OBJ in round 1 and a Center in round 2. In 2015, they also drafted a guard in round 1 before they drafted Collins. They strengthened their OL ad already had a qb before they took him.

I believe you that safety is gaining in importance. I would be all in at safety if I had trust in our QB, OL, DL, and we are going to need at least 1 wide receiver.

If we take a safety at #10 he will probably be "good." And the team will probably go backwards.

Jmo.

The above is good information. Thank you. It might be a bit over simplified, but you do make a point.

That said, all of these teams have a top shelf quarterback. Most are very solid on both lines and deep at wide receiver.

When the Giants drafted Landon Collins at with the first pick of round 2, I was familiar with him and knew it was a good move, even though they traded up for him. That said, in 2014 they drafted OBJ in round 1 and a Center in round 2. In 2015, they also drafted a guard in round 1 before they drafted Collins. They strengthened their OL ad already had a qb before they took him.

I believe you that safety is gaining in importance. I would be all in at safety if I had trust in our QB, OL, DL, and we are going to need at least 1 wide receiver.

If we take a safety at #10 he will probably be "good." And the team will probably go backwards.

Jmo.

Being in NYC and you'd still refer to 2016 Eli as a top shelf QB? Hmmmm.

Earlier today I heard a guy on NFLN say that having Odell catch passes from him is like hanging a Van Gough in your garage.

Being in NYC and you'd still refer to 2016 Eli as a top shelf QB? Hmmmm.

Earlier today I heard a guy on NFLN say that having Odell catch passes from him is like hanging a Van Gough in your garage.

He is DEFINITELY a top-shelf QB. Ever since college he has been running a complicated pro offense, making checks and calls a the LOS and outsmarting defenses just like his brother. He's a bit of a bonehead and will do 1-3 stupid things per game, but he makes up for it in clutch time and also throws one of the best deep balls in the game. He's elite, like it or not.

Jmo.

Don't get me wrong - I know we need a QB!!

Again:

1) WHEN AARON WILLIAMS AGGRIVATED HIS INJURED NECK IN THE SECOND GAME OF 2015 SEASON VS NEW ENGLAND THE PATS WERE ALREADY TRASHING THE BILLS DEFENSE.

2) RYAN FITZPATRICK SCORCHED AARON WILLIAMS D FOR 375 YARDS THRU THE AIR IN THE HOME OPENER OF 2016!

3) JAY AJAYI HAD ALREADY RUN FOR 87 YARDS ON 8 CARRIES WHEN AARON WILLIAMS GOT KNOCKED OUT IN THE SECOND QUARTER OF THE MIAMI GAME. ONLY THING STOPPING THE DOLPHINS THAT AFTERNOON WERE PENALTIES.

The simple fact is that the Bills had a fortunate run of weak offenses early in 2016. They weren't a dominant defense. Would Aaron Williams have helped? Yeah......but instead of being 27th worst D in the NFL they might have been the 20th worst.

When they played teams like the Pats, Dolphins, Raiders and Steelers.......teams that pinball-machined the Bills defensive stat line........he wasn't going to make a notable difference. This is evidenced by the fact that they got pinballed machined WITH him by Brady and Fitz in a couple of his very few outings the past two years.

Your whole "they are clearly a different team without him" implies that they proved that by stopping good offenses with him on the field in the past two seasons.........WHICH THEY DID NOT!

Like I've said......AW stopped making plays 3 years ago. Get over it for fuxake. Starting apologist threads which are at their core designed to explain why the RR defense that you championed did not work.