A simple question for the media who frequent this board

GRHater69

Please explain me to me why you spend so much time on all this silly gossip about who said what and that the organization is dysfunctional etc. when the team has identified two potential coaching candidates and plans to interview them, one today and one this weekend and yet you have given us as Bills fans ZERO info on either of these two coaches. Isn't that part of your job as well??? What talents do these guys potentially bring to the table? Why should we as fans be excited or not about them possibly leading the team? In other words, Why aren't you doing your job and informing us instead of all this click-bait BS over and over again?

Nic Veronica made a nice, but short article on McDermott. He also posted a bullet list of the short candidate list in another brief article. So there is that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JW is very good and talented and works at the truth, the facts and just not opinion, the only guy I pay attention to. Class reporter and I have never met him.

Ty on the other had just repeats what others report and rarely gets new information. Just because he is local guy doesn't change his style.

You realize that even if a reporter's article is nothing but a transcript of what Suzy Sunshine employed by the team said that the report is both factual (she said it) and the personal opinion (she said it) of the situation as she's filtered it, right?

if you say so.

jw

A big part of the reason people hate the Buffalo media is the glib hot takes on twitter. I don't know if it's to pretend they are in on the joke too. They're not. We're not. We are the joke. It's tiring and annoying when your main news sources don't just give you the news; but also like to kick you in the teeth while doing it. If things are bad i'm OK with accepting facts. Fine. It's just not the facts that are reported though. It's facts with a big helping of hot take.

The "This is fine", "Is it too early to say there's always next year", and random Rodak facts to remind us of 17 years of ineptitude/get clicks just rub a lot of people the wrong way. There's the people that wan't to be in on the joke, that are the joke, that go along with it and laugh. Then there is those of us getting kicked while we're already down.

In the end it's the Bills fault for sucking for 17 years and my/our fault for watching. The salt in the wound stuff sucks though...

Edited by Billschinatown

If you want it defined, read any/all of JW's reports, then read any Sully or Bucky or Vic report.

I'm sure it sounds like that to you since you love to deal in extremes, but the reality is, most of us simply want logical, factual reporting without all the hyperbole, click bait, anonymous sources, and middle school gossip. I dont need the soap opera the 24/7 media is manufacturing.

There is plenty to criticize about the team and organization. It can be done well, or it can be done by a bunch of poop slinging monkeys.

All of these reporters have been critical of the organization. They also do not write the same types of articles. Sullivan's job is to take the evidence as he sees it and write his take on them. In the absence of input, his job is going to require filling in more and longer blanks. Some of JW's articles follow a one-on-one interview format. (I also very much appreciate his access to ownership.) That's a completely different article. It may be the style we prefer, but calling one right/good/professional and the other wrong/horrible/unprofessional is as insipid as saying chocolate is good and vanilla is horrible.

Nic Veronica made a nice, but short article on McDermott. He also posted a bullet list of the short candidate list in another brief article. So there is that.

Took him long enough! There should be more of this type of reporting instead of speculation and constant negativity based on "Sources". And for the record I'm OK with JW.

The person (Jerry Sullivan) who called this team dysfunctional is a columnist not a reporter per se. Also in today's day and age click bait is here to stay as it brings people to sites/buy news papers which all print media can do to compete with streaming media.

Or what's even worse if they cite "sources say" and then add some extra personal spin that someone else picks up as news when it's not but just regurgitating someone elses opinion, see that recent Lupica story that called the Bills dysfunctional after talking to his buddy Jerry Sullivan.

Reporters want two credible sources. Football writers don't care.

"A source close to the organization" means someone like Jerry Sullivan who actually has no insider information.

"Buzz around the league" doesn't mean what the league players, coaches, or front office guys are saying. It instead refers to what the talking heads are mindlessly repeating.

Matthew Fairburn does a good job , TBN should hire him .

JW continues to do a fine job also.

Agreed. They're not all cut from the same cloth.

Reporters want two credible sources. Football writers don't care.

"A source close to the organization" means someone like Jerry Sullivan who actually has no insider information.

"Buzz around the league" doesn't mean what the league players, coaches, or front office guys are saying. It instead refers to what the talking heads are mindlessly repeating.

Agreed. They're not all cut from the same cloth.

Here is a great example of that:

http://deadspin.com/how-espn-manufactures-a-story-colin-kaepernick-edition-1185400028

This was the article that broke the proverbial camel's back for me. For a long time I had been jaded about ESPN but continued to watch. This article and situation perfectly showed what I had been feeling. So much sports "news" is created by the talking heads. It is really ingenious. Obnoxious but ingenious.

http://deadspin.com/how-espn-manufactures-a-story-colin-kaepernick-edition-1185400028

This was the article that broke the proverbial camel's back for me. For a long time I had been jaded about ESPN but continued to watch. This article and situation perfectly showed what I had been feeling. So much sports "news" is created by the talking heads. It is really ingenious. Obnoxious but ingenious.

Touché. That describes the process to a tee.

You realize that even if a reporter's article is nothing but a transcript of what Suzy Sunshine employed by the team said that the report is both factual (she said it) and the personal opinion (she said it) of the situation as she's filtered it, right?

Correct, you report what is said or done. That's what reporting is. If you want sometime to spin it, that's the columnists job.

Nice find.

I was once an officer in the army. During a combat operation, a NYT reporter showed up with permission to talk to some of my soldiers. He wasn't getting a quote he could use so finally he threw out an incendiary one-liner he wrote himself and asked if anyone would be willing to have it attributed to him. One young private agreed and the quote went off like a bomb when it was printed.

My conversation with my boss went something like this, "The SecDef chewed out General Powell who chewed out General Schwarzkopf who chewed out General Luck... and now I'm chewing out you!" I'm sure he was exaggerating but the quote was controversial enough to be newsworthy and no soldier even actually said it. And this was the New York Times.

Nice find.

I was once an officer in the army. During a combat operation, a NYT reporter showed up with permission to talk to some of my soldiers. He wasn't getting a quote he could use so finally he threw out an incendiary one-liner he wrote himself and asked if anyone would be willing to have it attributed to him. One young private agreed and the quote went off like a bomb when it was printed.

My conversation with my boss went something like this, "The SecDef chewed out General Powell who chewed out General Schwarzkopf who chewed out General Luck... and now I'm chewing out you!" I'm sure he was exaggerating but the quote was controversial enough to be newsworthy and no soldier even actually said it. And this was the New York Times.

Yeah I don't want to take this to PPP territory but the recent election really showed (me at least) how bias every single reporting agency is. Fox News used to be the standard joke for slanted and biased reporting then I watched CNN, Huffington Post, NPR, the NYT, Washington Post, and others just make absolute fools of themselves.

I wish it was just sports journalism that had taken this fall but it is an epidemic at this point.

The worst thing about it is good quality reporters get grouped in with the idiots and their message is lost or worse decide that they must too be like that.