Random Thoughts

Luxy312

Below are a bunch of my random thoughts about the team, their direction, and next steps. Would love to hear anyone's take if they disagree or have alternative theories.

1 - Tyrod Taylor will be the first big decision for the Bills in the offseason. Let's be completely honest about why he was benched. If he had played and gotten hurt, his contract would have paid him $27.5 million guaranteed over 2017-2018. Based on his performance, I don't see the Bills picking up his option or leaving him on the roster, which will also trigger the guarantee. I'm fairly certain that the Bills will be thinking of trying to restructure him such that the can cut bait with him after next year if he doesn't show improvement. They may of course just cut him as well, but that leaves them with just Cardale Jones, as E.J.'s contract is done.

2 - The team has 24 free agents heading into the offseason, including the likes of Stephon Gilmore, Robert Woods, Lorenzo Alexander, Zach Brown, Jordan Mills, Mike Gillislee, Jerome Felton, and Colin Schmidt. I could see them re-signing everyone but Gilmore. His agent Eugene Parker is going to demand top dollar for his client, as he does for all of his clients. We're basically looking at Norman/Peterson type money at $35m guaranteed and $15m per year in total on a 5-year deal. Harvin, Bush, Tate, Spikes and Goodwin, among others, should all be gone.

3 - I've questioned why the Bills have been trying to run a 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel for 2 years. After 7.5 and 10.0 sacks for Dareus playing the 4-3 in the Schwartz system, he had a miserable 2.0 and 3.5 in the last two years. Caveated with injuries, of course, but Dareus is not a 2 gap defensive tackle. I suspect that whoever takes over as the HC could switch the defense back to a 4-3, such that there isn't so much of a reliance at making a dozen reads before the snap to figure out assignments. I expect that the front four will be Lawson, Dareus, Washington and Hughes.

4 - In that regard, you noticed I didn't include Kyle Williams. He's slated to count $8.3m in 2017 against the cap. If he doesn't retire, the Bills could save $6.8m by cutting him. I honestly think he will restructure a multi-year deal with a good amount of guaranteed money and become a part-time player. He's got a lot of mileage on him for a guy turning 29 and has been hurt way too much to keep him on the roster for what's left on the last year of his contract.

5 - Looking ahead to the draft (yes, I'm going there), I predict one of three players for consideration with the 10th overall pick. Deshaun Watson (QB) if he falls that far would be the first choice. There's 3 and possibly 4 teams needing QB before the Bills, so I really don't think it's likely that he falls that far. Mike Williams (WR) would be my second choice. He has all of the traits of what the bills need at WR that they haven't had for years. He's 6'3" and can go up and get the ball over smaller cornerbacks. Last but not least is Jamal Adams (SS). I personally think that losing Aaron Williams was a much bigger deal than was made out to be, particularly in Ryan's system. There are virtually no flaws identified in Adams at the college level.

Whaley's presser was a complete disaster. I almost wish he were replaced as well. I guess we'll see what happens. That's all I have for now.

Below are a bunch of my random thoughts about the team, their direction, and next steps. Would love to hear anyone's take if they disagree or have alternative theories.

1 - Tyrod Taylor will be the first big decision for the Bills in the offseason. Let's be completely honest about why he was benched. If he had played and gotten hurt, his contract would have paid him $27.5 million guaranteed over 2017-2018. Based on his performance, I don't see the Bills picking up his option or leaving him on the roster, which will also trigger the guarantee. I'm fairly certain that the Bills will be thinking of trying to restructure him such that the can cut bait with him after next year if he doesn't show improvement. They may of course just cut him as well, but that leaves them with just Cardale Jones, as E.J.'s contract is done.

2 - The team has 24 free agents heading into the offseason, including the likes of Stephon Gilmore, Robert Woods, Lorenzo Alexander, Zach Brown, Jordan Mills, Mike Gillislee, Jerome Felton, and Colin Schmidt. I could see them re-signing everyone but Gilmore. His agent Eugene Parker is going to demand top dollar for his client, as he does for all of his clients. We're basically looking at Norman/Peterson type money at $35m guaranteed and $15m per year in total on a 5-year deal. Harvin, Bush, Tate, Spikes and Goodwin, among others, should all be gone.

3 - I've questioned why the Bills have been trying to run a 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel for 2 years. After 7.5 and 10.0 sacks for Dareus playing the 4-3 in the Schwartz system, he had a miserable 2.0 and 3.5 in the last two years. Caveated with injuries, of course, but Dareus is not a 2 gap defensive tackle. I suspect that whoever takes over as the HC could switch the defense back to a 4-3, such that there isn't so much of a reliance at making a dozen reads before the snap to figure out assignments. I expect that the front four will be Lawson, Dareus, Washington and Hughes.

I Agree with most of your points except Tate. Tate has been a godsend at PR and KR considering McFumbles and Reggie neative yards bush. We need to re-sign Tate. One of the only bright spots of this season. He is a decent WR too.

Edited by Marty McFly

#1: My only thought is that whoever agreed to pay an injured quarterback is a moron.

#2: Let's see what competent coaching can do -- assuming they get a competent coach and coordinators. Bring as many free agents back as they can is my take -- except EJ and of course Harvin and Bush who shouldn't be in the conversation. I like Gilmore and think he's much better than people give him credit for, but he's not worth top 5 money, so cut him loose if he wants to get paid that way. I'd even bring back Goodwin (unless they think Listenbee can easily replace him).

#3: The fact that the Bills have swung from 3-4 to 4-3 and back and forth for the past several schemes angers me more than anything else they've done. Complete stupidity that spans owners and head coaches and GMs and on and on. I don't want to type any more about this because my blood is starting to boil.

#4: I'd like to see one more year out of Kyle Williams, but if the Bills need his money to improve in other areas then so be it.

#5: Can't talk about the draft yet until we see which Defensive genius wants to change the scheme again. Drafting that Clemson QB won't happen unless the team trades picks to get up, and they don't need him anyway if they keep Tyrod.

I don't trust Whaley to get this right. He can't pick a QB. He has trouble finding OLine help. He's made a fair amount of good moves in other areas, but he's bad at choosing personnel where it counts most. He also was the idiot who brought back that loser Lee and he let the coaching staff get so bloated that it actually seemed to cause game-day confusion.

Edited by snafu

I Agree with most of your points except Tate. Tate has been a godsend at PR and KR considering McFumbles and Reggie neative yards bush. We need to re-sign Tate. One of the only bright spots of this season. He is a decent WR too.

Tate has been a blessing.

He probably could play WR if thrown to as 3-4-5. I agree. Powell showed something at one point and Hunter was underutilized.

Goodwin gone gone gone. he proved he can stay on the field ! But that he cannot play WR

Tate has been a blessing.

He probably could play WR if thrown to as 3-4-5. I agree. Powell showed something at one point and Hunter was underutilized.

Goodwin gone gone gone. he proved he can stay on the field ! But that he cannot play WR

Yep. Was really dissapointed in my boy Powell. Hope he gets a job somewhere.

As for Goodwin.

Those years of sitting on the sideline and the summers spent working on his Olympic craft instead of the WR game did him in. Its like getting a degree in school; its not high school anymore, cheating and slacking off will only hurt you in the long run.

Yep. Was really dissapointed in my boy Powell. Hope he gets a job somewhere.

As for Goodwin.

Those years of sitting on the sideline and the summers spent working on his Olympic craft instead of the WR game did him in. Its like getting a degree in school; its not high school anymore, cheating and slacking off will only hurt you in the long run.

Bills have to bring a couple in.

I ma not going to hold out hope for Listenbee, as much as i would like too

any hope they can keep Robert W. ?

I think he would be delighted to search for greener pastures.

imo

4 - In that regard, you noticed I didn't include Kyle Williams. He's slated to count $8.3m in 2017 against the cap. If he doesn't retire, the Bills could save $6.8m by cutting him. I honestly think he will restructure a multi-year deal with a good amount of guaranteed money and become a part-time player. He's got a lot of mileage on him for a guy turning 29 and has been hurt way too much to keep him on the roster for what's left on the last year of his contract.

5 - Looking ahead to the draft (yes, I'm going there), I predict one of three players for consideration with the 10th overall pick. Deshaun Watson (QB) if he falls that far would be the first choice. There's 3 and possibly 4 teams needing QB before the Bills, so I really don't think it's likely that he falls that far. Mike Williams (WR) would be my second choice. He has all of the traits of what the bills need at WR that they haven't had for years. He's 6'3" and can go up and get the ball over smaller cornerbacks. Last but not least is Jamal Adams (SS). I personally think that losing Aaron Williams was a much bigger deal than was made out to be, particularly in Ryan's system. There are virtually no flaws identified in Adams at the college level.

Whaley's presser was a complete disaster. I almost wish he were replaced as well. I guess we'll see what happens. That's all I have for now.

Good post and I agree with everything except for letting Taylor go and the order of importance in the draft. Our number one priority should be SS without a doubt.

I didn't really think about Tate's special teams play and didn't figure he would have any prominent role in the offense with the other WR's back healthy. Good point none the less.

2 - The team has 24 free agents heading into the offseason, including the likes of Stephon Gilmore, Robert Woods, Lorenzo Alexander, Zach Brown, Jordan Mills, Mike Gillislee, Jerome Felton, and Colin Schmidt. I could see them re-signing everyone but Gilmore. His agent Eugene Parker is going to demand top dollar for his client, as he does for all of his clients....

These are truly random thoughts . So Eugene Parker is negotiating deals from the grave???

The entire Whaley PC situation is an interesting human experiment on how valuable a person's verbal communication skills are with regard to how his/her competence and/or intelligence is perceived.

Whaley is a nervous nelly who can't string two words together without stumbling. Because of that not only is he seen as inept but the local and national narrative is that the franchise is one of "dysfunction".

Never mind the fact that public speaking skills are basically irrelevant for a General Manager (unlike head coach).

The entire Whaley PC situation is an interesting human experiment on how valuable a person's verbal communication skills are with regard to how his/her competence and/or intelligence is perceived.

Whaley is a nervous nelly who can't string two words together without stumbling. Because of that not only is he seen as inept but the local and national narrative is that the franchise is one of "dysfunction".

Never mind the fact that public speaking skills are basically irrelevant for a General Manager (unlike head coach).

Yep. Knee Jerks. Knee Jerk reactions EVERYWHERE!

ppreflex.gif

Bills have to bring a couple in.

I ma not going to hold out hope for Listenbee, as much as i would like too

any hope they can keep Robert W. ?

I think he would be delighted to search for greener pastures.

imo

I agree, I would like to see Woods back but he is gone. He is going to greener pastures to a team that isnt 32nd in pass ATTEMPTS.

Cant say I blame him.

Good post and I agree with everything except for letting Taylor go and the order of importance in the draft. Our number one priority should be SS without a doubt.

SS for sure at 1st or 2nd round. I dont see them letting Taylor go. That would be a HUUUUGE mistake but, then again we are the Bills...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Marty McFly

I listened to the presser live and quite honestly, never questioned his speaking ability or thought he had an impediment. To me, it sounded like he was nervous and trying very hard to not lose his composure to the guys he knew were going to be Dicks in coming after him. In that sense, I thought he did a good job holding his schitt together and not losing his composure.

Pretty good stuff OP (besides the Parker thing, that's okay).

2 things:

1) I agree with some other people above about Woods - Seems like the Bills have basically run him out of town. With the likely departure of Goodwin too, WR is mighty thin.

2) Not sold on Watson in the first round yet - I personally like what I've seen in my limited viewing of Clemson, but the "experts" seem to have him graded all over the place.

I got as far as Eugene Parker.

I would imagine Parker isn't paramount in the op's life and he was unaware he died. I knew he died, but continued reading. Parker isn't a world famous person, oops, wasn't. Op can be forgiven for not knowing Parker croked.

I listened to the presser live and quite honestly, never questioned his speaking ability or thought he had an impediment. To me, it sounded like he was nervous and trying very hard to not lose his composure to the guys he knew were going to be Dicks in coming after him. In that sense, I thought he did a good job holding his schitt together and not losing his composure.

Impediments and verbal communication are completely different things. A person can have a lisp or a stutter and still do well quickly translating logical thoughts into words.

The road from Whaley's brain to his mouth is full of crater-sized pot holes.