Ranking Whaley's Worst Moves

BillsLux

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not disturbed by Rex's firing (defense went south and poor game time decisions), I think the problem starts with Whaley.

For the year, we've been hit by the spin that were a quality team without discipline. Really, what's so talented about our defense.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this or remember all the moves, so please chime in with more.

1) Drafting EJ Manuel 1st and never realizing that he's not a player... (Continuing to fail to realize that EJ has neither escapability, pocket presence, or accuracy)

2) Spending a fortune on Dareus, who barely plays

3) Doubling down on EJ by giving up multiple first round picks for Watkins

4) Getting and then keeping Karlos WIlliams (lost Fred Jackson instead)

5) Drafting Shaq with a bum shoulder

6) Percy Harvin not just once, but twice

7) Not prioritizing quarterbacks in draft picks (besides EJ)

Terrible. Hubris.

I think Darby's struggles this year more a result of Rex's defense putting more pressure on the secondary also let's not forget he was a 2nd Round pick.

I am not sure what you mean by the above.

In 2012, Janoris Jenkins was a 2nd round pick. We of course took Gilmore at #10. Even if you think Gilmore is a better player (debatable for sure), do you think he is 29 places in the draft better? I for one completely do not.

Again, are you saying that the 2nd round is too late for a corner?

People really need to think that McCoy trade through. He had one year on his contract at the time of the trade. They rented McCoy for one year, and he certainly gave the Bills their money's worth in 2015. Everything else is the extension (which I still don't like even though he continued to perform at a very high level in 2016), so that's akin to signing a free agent.

As far as Incognito: I agree. I mention it because we have these endless debates here on whether a certain player was really "Nix's guy" (EJ) or "Rex's guy" (Richie). They're all Whaley's guys as far as I'm concerned, the good and the bad.

There isn't much I give Rex Ryan credit for, but his asking the team to sign Richie Incognito was one of them. Incognito was sitting out the 2014 NFL season because no team would sign him and yet the Bills fielded the very worst offensive line for most of that season. Whaley could have brought him in any time and he didn't!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2015/02/07/richie-incognito-rex-ryan-contract-jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins/23040525/

Rex Ryan also was chasing LSU OT/OG La'el Collins who had a troubled past and no team wanted to draft him. Rex wined and dined with him to attempt to get him to sign with Buffalo, sadly Collins chose Dallas instead because he would have been a huge upgrade at RG like he has been for the Cowboys who signed him. Ryan wanted to build a big powerful line to run the ball with power and that is exactly what the bills offense has done the last two years.

On another note, Tyrod Taylor was also a player that Rex Ryan wanted to be signed by Buffalo. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rex-ryan-hand-picked-qb-tyrod-taylor-wanted-him-with-jets/o

Rex Ryan also was chasing LSU OT/OG La'el Collins who had a troubled past and no team wanted to draft him. Rex wined and dined with him to attempt to get him to sign with Buffalo, sadly Collins chose Dallas instead because he would have been a huge upgrade at RG like he has been for the Cowboys who signed him. Ryan wanted to build a big powerful line to run the ball with power and that is exactly what the bills offense has done the last two years.

La'el Collins is indeed a beast. I cannot for the life of me understand why the Bills (along with every other team in the league) didn't just use a seventh round pick on him instead of wining and dining him as an UFA. Makes no sense whatsoever.

La'el Collins is indeed a beast. I cannot for the life of me understand why the Bills (along with every other team in the league) didn't just use a seventh round pick on him instead of wining and dining him as an UFA. Makes no sense whatsoever.

He was thought to be involved in the murder of his ex-girlfriend and I believe he wasn't in the clear of those charges until after the draft. It was thought that because he was so good he would wait until the 2016 draft where he would probably be a early rounder and he decided not to wait..

I can only suspect Buffalo probably lowballed him on the money and the Cowboys made him a very handsome offer.

And the worst is probably yet to come. Whaley is going to hire the next Bills HC, which should be a terrifying thought. Whaley seems to not get along with HC's , so he will choose the devil he knows rather than what's actually best for the team to win.

This is exactly right as Whaley clashed with Marrone in a screaming match in the offseason over the roster and more recently wanted Tyrod benched to see what Cardale Jones could do at QB despite the Bills having a shot at the playoffs. Let's not forget that Tim Graham reported that Marrone spoke badly of Whaley, Brandon as he was leaving the Bills.

Whaley has had a hand in selecting the last few Buffalo Bills head coaches and none has worked out so far. However, let's just discuss the last hire. How does a GM who knows anything about what he is doing give his okay to hire Rex Ryan? A 4-12 Head coach, really?

All anyone in the Buffalo Bills FO needed to do was rewatch the two Bills-Jets games during 2014. The two blowouts by the Bills. 43-23 in the first game and before the second game Rex Ryan told the NY media his team would play 1000% better and yet they lost 38-3. In two games the Buffalo defense sacked Jets QB's 11 times, 5 interceptions, 7 turnovers! Anyone who saw those games could see that Ryan had lost his players.

Think about it a minute! Does anyone really think that whoever Whaley hires will be able to challenge Bill Belichick for the AFC East division? Should the Bills hire Lynn will he still have the 30th passing offense in the league? It sure looks like a disconnect between Whaley and Tyrod Taylor right now...so who will be the starting QB in 2017?

Did anyone besides me watch that last game this season against the NY Jets and see how sloppy the play was, how bad both EJ and Jones are? If Whaley should hire Lynn or anyone else how many games do the Bills win next year?

Lets not forget trading 2 picks to Dalla to unload Matt Cassel, trading up in the 3rd round to draft TJ Graham, verifying that he scouted NC St and TJ was the guy he targeted? This yr drafting 2 guys that had injuries: Shaq, Listenbee, then a guy you knew would not even dress this yr in Cardel. I think we can all agree we are not the Pats, we can not afford luxury picks

agree with all except the Cardale pick. You have to keep drafting QBs until you find one, especially when you never pick in the Top-3.

His agent threatened to not sign with the team that drafted him and sit out year and renenter the draft. Once he was picked in the 7th round he would be locked into 7th round money and nothing the agent could do to get more money. The threat worked and he became a highly sought after Undrafted FA.

Rex didnt even know Lorax was still in the league