non bowl playing

nuklz2594

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wife and i just paid off student loans. we are in our 50's. the whining...YES...whining that a full ride scholarship is not the same as being paid in nonsense. the free room and board, free medical care.etc plus the free education...is sufficient. the entire problem and it pains me to agree with nick saban is the playoff system. some bowls that are now called unimportant/insignificant has led to this. i read somewhere that 2% of ncaa football players make the nfl. the non-important games is/will be the highlight of 98% of the other teammates. i get that the 2% are looking out for their livelihood, i don't know, i don't like it. i retired us army infantry. am disabled. perhaps i should have told them i don't feel like going back to iraq or afganistan for a second tour. just saying

Yup. Everyone wants a definitive champion, but the cost of that playoff system has been to ruin the bowl games. I miss the days when you had six big games on New Years Day, any or all of which could impact the final polls. And by the end of New Year's night you knew (usually) who was champion.

the dude is being forced to play for free

He does not have to play college sports - it is his choice - some high schools also make a lot of money on athletes.

Colleges and schools spent a lot of money to get up to point where they can attract large donations which allows them to have programs BEFORE the students get there.

Wish we had non-school teams like Nashville NoSaints which they could play and only play for money and the players could help pay for costs even all of the players would earn enough to pay for their share of team costs but there isn't.

He does not have to play college sports - it is his choice - some high schools also make a lot of money on athletes.

Colleges and schools spent a lot of money to get up to point where they can attract large donations which allows them to have programs BEFORE the students get there.

Wish we had non-school teams like Nashville NoSaints which they could play and only play for money and the players could help pay for costs even all of the players would earn enough to pay for their share of team costs but there isn't.

ill again say, for any practical discussion he is being forced. i get that he could go work at a gym and try to play in the arena league but... lets not get into semantics and agree that he doesnt have much choice until the 3 year rule changes or an alternative league starts. Honestly, its surprising someone hasnt tried to start a semi professional league to target top high school recruits and get some of that revenue that colleges have a monopoly on. Im sure guys like johnny football would be tempted to just go to a straight cash pay day option where they can accept sponsorship etc.... if you assembled enough startup cash.

i wouldnt encourage sitting for most but if you are a solid top half of the first round pick that should probably be rehabbing an injury, yea sit out a meaningless exhibition game if you want.

You go to college to get a job to take care of your family. If you had a job offer & they wanted you to skip a final for some non important class, you'd do it too.

No not everyone has your ethics; my wife is away on vacation and I cannot go because I am needed at job. If a potential player honest answers hypothetical question on this matter it will reduce the player's draft status and it should. Of course some will just take a "C.Biscuit87" and lie.

ill again say, for any practical discussion he is being forced. i get that he could go work at a gym and try to play in the arena league but... lets not get into semantics and agree that he doesnt have much choice until the 3 year rule changes or an alternative league starts. Honestly, its surprising someone hasnt tried to start a semi professional league to target top high school recruits and get some of that revenue that colleges have a monopoly on. Im sure guys like johnny football would be tempted to just go to a straight cash pay day option where they can accept sponsorship etc.... if you assembled enough startup cash.

i wouldnt encourage sitting for most but if you are a solid top half of the first round pick that should probably be rehabbing an injury, yea sit out a meaningless exhibition game if you want.

No I do not agree for practical discussion because it supports your point of view. It is a very slanted point of view and if you want to pretend fine. Majority of players do not make NFL.

Football is a business to the participants. It's smart of them to not risk injury any more than they need to. No idea about contracts, but even if there was all they would just have to say is they tweaked an ankle or have the flu.

Talking of millions of dollars, I'd do the same in their place.

Also- if your stock is high and then you have a lousey bowl game even if you don't get hurt, it can hurt your value.

No not everyone has your ethics; my wife is away on vacation and I cannot go because I am needed at job. If a potential player honest answers hypothetical question on this matter it will reduce the player's draft status and it should. Of course some will just take a "C.Biscuit87" and lie.

No I do not agree for practical discussion because it supports your point of view. It is a very slanted point of view and if you want to pretend fine. Majority of players do not make NFL.

Tell me more about the options for a 17 year old all time great prospect hailing from one of the worst neighborhoods in New Orleans. The dude had to play 3 years of college football. You know it. I know it.

Yea, he wasn't kidnapped but he had the option of sucking it up to get a pay day that would change generations of his family or he could....? Most of the other options end pretty terribly. So yea, he went and put in his time and played hurt but isn't going to in a meaningless game a few weeks before the combine.

Then you have your guys like Shaq Lawson who played for muliple injuries in his teams bowl game....you know cuz that is what team leaders do.

I would want NO part of a player that intentionally bails on his team for personal reasons.

I agree, teams are gonna want someone who will fight through, and play with whatever they got left. however I can understand players sitting out bowl games, because of the injury risk. there is an argument for both sides and I can agree with both depending on the circumstances.

I agree, teams are gonna want someone who will fight through, and play with whatever they got left. however I can understand players sitting out bowl games, because of the injury risk. there is an argument for both sides and I can agree with both depending on the circumstances.

Just like any other situation- you sit down and talk to the guy, the people around him... you watch how he played on the field and you make the call between him and the other closest ranked player on your board.

Some may be self absorbed lazy asses and some will be intelligent hard workers that weighed their situation and made a reasonable choice to ensure they maximize their NFL career

That's what bothers me. For most of these players, those games are not meaningless games. They will be the highpoint of the football careers of many of the players. Personally, I think it is wrong for higher profile players to sit out these games. In my opinion, if a player sits out a bowl game or even decides to leave school early for the NFL, they should be required to reimburse the school for any and all athletic scholarships provided to them.

if there were punishments for sitting out and the player really wanted to sit he would just claim injury.

I agreed with what Anthony Lynn said on the John Murphy show the other day. You should play for fun and the love of the game but this is a business at the end of the day and they're making a business decision and I respect that

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Like anything , gotta look at all the individual circumstances as to why someone is sitting out. For a RB who's most likely going in the first couple rounds of draft, almost a no brainer to sit out a non-playoff bowl. These guys stop going to class after first semester to train for the combine so colleges can't pull their scholarships.

• 4 weeks later...

Then you have your guys like Shaq Lawson who played for muliple injuries in his teams bowl game....you know cuz that is what team leaders do.

I would want NO part of a player that intentionally bails on his team for personal reasons.

You want this scumbucket coaching your team? Friggen joke the NCAA, how they let chit like this go on.

BTW, i was a Maryland fan till this morally bankrupt areshole became the head coach...

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-5482660132244712626/uconn-reneges-on-scholarship-offer-ditches-jersey-football-recruit-in-eleventh-hour/