Are the Bills defenders smart enough to run Rex defense?

Protocal69

Folks will be predictably flippant in response to this point. They'll sarcastically say something about Rex needing 20 first rounders to run his defense. They like to pretend that dominant defenses exist in the NFL where great playmakers (regardless of where they were drafted) do not. The like to pretend that this is electronic football played in a vacuum and that all you have to do is tell your guys how to line up and the deed is done.

apparently our coaches(Rex too) aren't even telling them how to line up properly on defense . Still. Two years later.

Let's get that part taken care of, then maybe you can call us flippant.

It's not the players, it's the scheme. We have some very talented players on this defense. The fact of the matter is that they are poorly coached and the scheme sucks. Get rid of Rex and Rob and the D automatically gets better.

I concur on this. I hear and read that the players do not like Rob Ryan.

It has nothing to do with smarts, IMO. To play Rex's defense, you need a "lock down" cornerback and the Bills don't have one. I'm not saying that Gilmore is bad, far from it. But he is not elite, which is what is required.

Ryan plays too much man coverage...not smart with passing rules.....you need DBs and LBs who can play some zone coverage also....Ryan's defense is not good....

Rex promotes himself as some kind of defensive genius. But I'm still waiting to see it and it looks like we're never going to see that in action on the field in Buffalo. Whether its the scheme/player fit excuse, or the players aren't 'smart' enough, or the defense is too complex its up to the coaches to figure it out and put the best possible group of players out on the field with a scheme and game plan that will maximize their abilities vs. the specific opponents offense week-to-week. Not to put a system in place that exposes their flaws and weaknesses. Not being able to do that in almost 2 seasons here just means to me the coaches aren't doing their job.

I keep going back to what Mike Pettine said when he took over the Brown head coaching job regarding installing his defense

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-coach

I think it's happened quicker here because I think it's a smart group,” Pettine says, comparing the install to last season’s with the Bills. “I'm not saying we were dumb in Buffalo—far from it—but this is a group that I think processes, as a whole, very quickly.”

When you compare that statement to the dont think but go mentality of Jim Swartz defense that the Bills seem to play better in then is it fare to say that our defense especially on the backend, might not be smart enough as a whole to run his defense.

If this is the case then either we need to get smart players or find enough defensive system to cater to our personel.

Or how about the system is antiquated and over-hyped?

What makes any system better, or any coach smarter? Answer: Better players!

If you have good players, any system will work. Which is my contention with Wrecks, he has never been any smarter than his players, but what he had in Baltimore, and for a few years in NY, were some great players.

His system--and his lack of coaching dexterity and acumen--is exposed when he doesn't have superstars like Ray Lewis to run out on the field.