Watch, Elway will find a QB

Coach Tuesday

If you want to see how a real organization behaves - watch what John Elway does this offseason. I'll put my chips on the table that he goes out and finds a solid QB to leverage his historically great defense while their window to win stays open. He won't be content to hand the keys to Lynch or Siemian (though notice he drafted two last year, one first and one last). Be it Romo or Biridgewater or someone else, I'm guessing Elway recognizes you need a QB to win games and does what it takes to find one.

Wish Whaley would take the same approach...

You mean let a QB on the roster walk, put a QB into the starting lineup that hadn't played a snap in the NFL and use a first round draft pick on a QB they don't plan to start and is a project?

If Whaley did any of the above, he would have been crucified.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills fans would be saying the same thing if we had Siemian playing QB here behind our existing offensive line.

Siemian actually isn't that bad.

I can say he has more 300 yards games than out game manager

Edited by MAJBobby

Bills fans would be saying the same thing if we had Siemian playing QB here behind our existing offensive line.

The Bills don't have that D. The Broncos Secondary is just amazingly good and their front 4 down right scary.. the only weakness is LB. The Bills, outside of Watson, don't have any WR close to Sanders and Thomas. (Although Thomas yesterday dropped a beautifully thrown pass)

The same John Elway that drafted Osweiler ahead of Russell Wilson and offered Osweiler $16m/year in the offseason.

Umm Osweiler never came close to the field till last year, so there sure wasn't a NEED at QB when he was drafted. (And 4th round QB are a shot in the dark)

Umm Osweiler never came close to the field till last year, so there sure wasn't a NEED at QB when he was drafted. (And 4th round QB are a shot in the dark)

They just acquired a 36 year old quarterback in free agency coming off what some thought was career-hampering surgery. They took Osweiler in the 2nd round as the QB of the future to groom under Manning and he didn't materialise. They also passed up Wilson and Kirk Cousins (who I'm still not a fan of but he's better than Brock).

The Bills don't have that D. The Broncos Secondary is just amazingly good and their front 4 down right scary.. the only weakness is LB. The Bills, outside of Watson, don't have any WR close to Sanders and Thomas. (Although Thomas yesterday dropped a beautifully thrown pass)

What does that have to do with their offensive line?

The same John Elway that drafted Osweiler ahead of Russell Wilson and offered Osweiler $16m/year in the offseason.

Yes that one. He will keep trying until he finds a solution. Not every move will hit. But you increase your odds by increasing your attempts. It's a contrast to Whaley's "lottery ticket" approach to the position.

Not at all. They just won the Super Bowl. You can get away with a lot more after your team wins the Super Bowl.

That's my point though. He just won a Super Bowl, he was given leeway. But to act like that plan at QB was brilliant, is a little off, IMO.

The Broncos had been grooming Osweiler for 4 seasons and knew he wasn't the air apparent and their solution was to let him walk, put 22nd rated QB, who was the last drafted QB in 2015, in as a starter. Oh and move up in the draft, giving up a 3rd round pick, to select a QB they view as a project.

Whaley would have been slaughtered around here if that was his plan this year.

What does that have to do with their offensive line?

I may have misunderstood what you said then. If Denver had Buffalo Oline but everything else was Denver's? I say they win that game and heck I'll go out and say they maybe have 2 losses all year.

They just acquired a 36 year old quarterback in free agency coming off what some thought was career-hampering surgery. They took Osweiler in the 2nd round as the QB of the future to groom under Manning and he didn't materialise. They also passed up Wilson and Kirk Cousins (who I'm still not a fan of but he's better than Brock).

You don't draft a QB to replace a man your paying $20 million a year for 2 years either. They knew Brock was a project, mind you I think Lynch is a bigger project.

Yes that one. He will keep trying until he finds a solution. Not every move will hit. But you increase your odds by increasing your attempts. It's a contrast to Whaley's "lottery ticket" approach to the position.

There's not as much organisational chaos in Denver as there is in Buffalo. Elway has the freedom to do whatever he pleases and, when it comes to quarterbacks, who in that FO is going to tell John Elway that they know better?

I've made my frustration with Whaley known when it comes to QB but are we entirely sure he has enough power to get a controlling say? EJ may or may not have been his pick but he took ownership of it after the fact, poor pick. Rex comes in and pretty much demands Taylor, he's not worked out. If Rex has the same reporting authority to ownership as the GM does, who knows if Whaley is even truly in charge.

Siemian actually isn't that bad.

I can say he has more 300 yards games than out game manager

And yet - they've scored 13 points over the last 2 games. And he had 2 lousy games against San Diego.

There's a good chance they miss the playoffs. There's also a pretty good percentage of people that think it would largely rest on his shoulders.

You don't draft a QB to replace a man your paying $20 million a year for 2 years either. They knew Brock was a project, mind you I think Lynch is a bigger project.

The point is about talent evaluation. A bad pick doesn't become a good one because they managed to claw 3 years out of Manning (plus whatever you call 2015).

Does Russell Wilson become a poor QB if Matt Flynn plays up to the contract the Seahawks give him? I doubt it.

Edited by Blokestradamus

There's not as much organisational chaos in Denver as there is in Buffalo. Elway has the freedom to do whatever he pleases and, when it comes to quarterbacks, who in that FO is going to tell John Elway that they know better?

I've made my frustration with Whaley known when it comes to QB but are we entirely sure he has enough power to get a controlling say? EJ may or may not have been his pick but he took ownership of it after the fact, poor pick. Rex comes in and pretty much demands Taylor, he's not worked out. If Rex has the same reporting authority to ownership as the GM does, who knows if Whaley is even truly in charge.

But my point is that he's at least going the Seattle route of loading up on chances. Whaley doesn't pick or sign enough QBs to hit. Elway has already used two high picks on QBs plus another pick plus he signed Manning. My prediction is that he keeps trying this offseason rather than just sticking with what he has.

The point is about talent evaluation. A bad pick doesn't become a good one because they managed to claw 3 years out of Manning (plus whatever you call 2015).

Does Russell Wilson become a poor QB if Matt Flynn plays up to the contract the Seahawks give him? I doubt it.

No, the point is quantity over quality to a certain extent.

But my point is that he's at least going the Seattle route of loading up on chances. Whaley doesn't pick or sign enough QBs to hit. Elway has already used two high picks on QBs plus another pick plus he signed Manning. My prediction is that he keeps trying this offseason rather than just sticking with what he has.

No, the point is quantity over quality to a certain extent.

Several bad picks doesn't increase your chances. You can't roll with Osweiler, Siemian and Lynch and wonder "Why do I still need a quarterback?"

It's about the right selections, not just throwing the kitchen sink at it and hoping it fixes itself. I know that some of it becomes hindsight but you can't make crap players better by taking lots of them.

If you want to see how a real organization behaves - watch what John Elway does this offseason. I'll put my chips on the table that he goes out and finds a solid QB to leverage his historically great defense while their window to win stays open. He won't be content to hand the keys to Lynch or Siemian (though notice he drafted two last year, one first and one last). Be it Romo or Biridgewater or someone else, I'm guessing Elway recognizes you need a QB to win games and does what it takes to find one.

Wish Whaley would take the same approach...

Isn't much to "find"...they spent a first round pick on a QB...either play him or don't draft them.

Let's play that game, Wilson was an OK QB. I say fair when they won the SB. If he was taking over just now with no running game? Yes he would probably suck! He was able to develop thanks to Beast mode being there so with there inability run this year I say that would kill a first year starting QB. (Or even in last year)

I think it is fair to say the Broncos are a QB away from winning a Superbowl. Based on history anyway. But yeah, Siemian, he is awesome man. = sarcasm

Then I feel you have not watched the Broncos . Their woes are less QB related and more O line and drops related. (Thomas killed them yesterday with his drops.)

Several bad picks doesn't increase your chances. You can't roll with Osweiler, Siemian and Lynch and wonder "Why do I still need a quarterback?"

It's about the right selections, not just throwing the kitchen sink at it and hoping it fixes itself. I know that some of it becomes hindsight but you can't make crap players better by taking lots of them.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. If I'm building a team, recognizing that you never know for sure how a pick will turn out, I maximize my odds of hitting at that position - it's just too important of a position to put all of your eggs into one basket.