A few thoughts about the Browns Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

What do you want to do with him, pay him top 5 money? I'm thrilled that he decided to focus for the second half of his contract season... is that an attitude you reward, though?

I've been very clear what kind of money I'd pay Gilmore. His market value is around the $12m/year that Darius Slay got and the $12.5/m year figure that Janoris Jenkins got. Just outside the top 5 average salaries. I'm still of the mind to pay him that money with certain things happening in the offseason. It's reliant on coaching changes or lack thereof.

All I know about him is that he got called out for his play and he responded. Since then, he's been damn good. I don't know about anyone else but I'll take a damn good corner on my team. 18.4 yards per game guarding Crabtree/Cooper/Robinson/Brown/Pryor is about as 'shutdown' as this league affords.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been very clear what kind of money I'd pay Gilmore. His market value is around the $12m/year that Darius Slay got and the $12.5/m year figure that Janoris Jenkins got. Just outside the top 5 average salaries. I'm still of the mind to pay him that money with certain things happening in the offseason. It's reliant on coaching changes or lack thereof.

All I know about him is that he got called out for his play and he responded. Since then, he's been damn good. I don't know about anyone else but I'll take a damn good corner on my team. 18.4 yards per game guarding Crabtree/Cooper/Robinson/Brown/Pryor is about as 'shutdown' as this league affords.

How do we get him to maintain that play level for all 16 though?

How do we get him to maintain that play level for all 16 though?

The honest answer; I haven't got a clue. Maybe the first half of the season was about self-preservation because he's not got his money yet. After he's got guarantees in the bag that covers him for the future, maybe he plays more loose and you see him at a consistent effort level. I can't pretend I know his mind but something has flipped recently. Those within the building know better than I do.

The other side of it is, he's not going to play at this level for an entire season. This stretch of 5 games, I think only Revis has ever replicated for a full year in recent times. You're paying for the ability to play like this. He might not be at an elite level constantly but he's always had streaks of really good play. Kinda like a manic depressive, he'll give you highs higher than most are capable of but there's lows that come with it. Part of the territory.

Corners will have ups and downs but the past few weeks is proof that the guy can play top flight WR's tight and he's been doing some shadowing on Brown/Pryor as well. A sign that Rex is trusting him, not sure if Rex has ever had a corner shadow before (I assume Revis did it at some point), they've definitely been fixed while he's been in Buffalo.

He doesn't strike me as the type to be reckless off-field so suspension isn't a worry. Injury could be because his tackle technique is still not great. There's some risk attached but there always is with big money deals.

Edited by Blokestradamus

The honest answer; I haven't got a clue. Maybe the first half of the season was about self-preservation because he's not got his money yet. After he's got guarantees in the bag that covers him for the future, maybe he plays more loose and you see him at a consistent effort level. I can't pretend I know his mind but something has flipped recently. Those within the building know better than I do.

The other side of it is, he's not going to play at this level for an entire season. This stretch of 5 games, I think only Revis has ever replicated for a full year in recent times. You're paying for the ability to play like this. He might not be at an elite level constantly but he's always had streaks of really good play. Kinda like a manic depressive, he'll give you highs higher than most are capable of but there's lows that come with it. Part of the territory.

Corners will have ups and downs but the past few weeks is proof that the guy can play top flight WR's tight and he's been doing some shadowing on Brown/Pryor as well. A sign that Rex is trusting him, not sure if Rex has ever had a corner shadow before (I assume Revis did it at some point), they've definitely been fixed while he's been in Buffalo.

He doesn't strike me as the type to be reckless off-field so suspension isn't a worry. Injury could be because his tackle technique is still not great. There's some risk attached but there always is with big money deals.

Agreed with everything you wrote here, on top of that, who do you replace him with? The defense can't afford to weaken itself anymore with the expected retirement of AW. Our secondary would be hurting next season.

Agreed with everything you wrote here, on top of that, who do you replace him with? The defense can't afford to weaken itself anymore with the expected retirement of AW. Our secondary would be hurting next season.

I understand that it's a big chunk of money to throw at an already highly paid defense. For the reasons you stated, I'm not sure if you can afford not to. There's plenty of holes already without adding more of your own creation.

It's a pretty decent corner draft. If you want to go cheaper and draft one, I'm okay with it. You might even end up with someone as good for a quarter of the price tag eventually. You might not as well. If you don't bite the bullet, you might get what you pay for. We've already seen how this team battles back from poor secondary play.

Ultimately, I'd love to keep Gilmore. If he walks because his demands are too steep, that's fine. If they let him walk because they have a plan, I'm good with that too. Just don't Levitre it and give me Chris Williams or Colin Brown and tell me it's good :)