In defense of Rex....

Webster Guy

I think the players showed what they want. They voted with their play on Sunday, when a win could have made the playoffs a reasonable possibility. They mailed it in whenever there was physical contact to be made. Right on the first drive, Steelers 3rd down, Big Ben throws a short pass to Bell, who's bottled up. NONE of the defenders ran up and made a tackle. Instead, after a while, Bell just ran around the pile and gained 32 yards. Play after play, the D just wouldn't hit. If they could make an athletic play, well OK let's catch that interception. But physical, tough football? No, thanks. All I can say is that this is like the players on a team running up a huge flag that says "please fire this HC yesterday" and everyone on the team knows it.

So all the players, as they were running to tackle the ball carrier in a huge home game that would have kept playoff hopes alive, said to themselves "I hate our head coach, so I'm only gonna try and arm tackle this guy........"

ok

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see how the team plays the last three weeks of the season. The team knows that they have a slim shot at the playoffs and that Rex's chances to keep his job are greatly improved by winning out. So their play over the next three games is indicative of how the locker room feels about Rex. If they play hard win out and look good I think you can make the case that after a 9-7 season the Bills have a compelling case to keep Rex. 8-8 or worse more than likely means Rex is gone although not a lock 100%.

I look at this the same way.

and to be honest, i really like a Coach who players rally around. Regardless of said Coaches faults

Why just the next 3 games? Don't the last 2 count? How did they rally for the last 2? They didn't. They sucked. They had a commanding lead in Oakland and proceeded to quit. Then they came back to Buffalo to play an AFC team in a must win situation and showed up lame right from the start.

All I'm pointing out is that if you had Schwartz, his 4-3 defense would have been in trouble these past two year because the 4 in the 4-3 would be down to 1 and a half. not too complicated to figure that out.

You don't know that and to assume it is asinine. For all you know they could have taken another step forward and played even better. You're just making things up.

Why just the next 3 games? Don't the last 2 count? How did they rally for the last 2? They didn't. They sucked. They had a commanding lead in Oakland and proceeded to quit. Then they came back to Buffalo to play an AFC team in a must win situation and showed up lame right from the start.

You don't know that and to assume it is asinine. For all you know they could have taken another step forward and played even better. You're just making things up.

Was it asinine to assume that Rex couldn't succeed with Carrol's players?

Was it asinine to assume that Rex couldn't succeed with Carrol's players?

No. Because he has already proven that he can ruin a decent defense. It would be asinine to assume he couldn't ruin another one.

It might be harder for him to ruin that one, but he just might be up for the challenge.

Edited by PolishDave

I think amongst Bills fans (from reading everyone cry about it) the assumption is that the defense would have been just as good, if not better, the past two years. All I'm pointing out is that assumption is faulty as TWO of your FOUR defensive linemen have been out/washed up because they're over 30 and THAT WAS THE STRENGTH of the Defense. I'm not saying it's automatic, I'm just saying based on those facts and injury to Aaron Williams that it is very possible and for some reason no Bills fans question that. combine that with going into the season without a quarterback or first round pick and I'm not sure why its a good assumption that this team would be an automatic playoff participant these past two years.

Those are pretty specific parameters. Probably hard to find. Again, if had Jim Schwartz then this team would have a 4-3 defense with one all of a sudden washed up d-linemen, one injured (Kyle Williams), and one suspended and then injured. Their D-line last week would have been Dareus (who is probably injured) and Jerry Hughes. And they have no safeties. And their linebackers are garbage-Actually i shouldn't say that since I assume only Doug Whaley gets credit for getting anything out of Lorenzo Alexander and Z Brown since Rex cant do anything right. Seems like superbowl team to me. Doesn't matter that had no first round pick, and no QB and your best WR has been injured all year. And BTW-I know you all love Whaley for getting Incognito and Shady but my guess is that Rex had something to do with that decision as he is the ground and pound guy.

This is babble!

This is babble!

Senseless babble!

In todays league, you have to run a defense that allows for players off the street to mentally check in in short order. The CBA doesn't allow nearly enough time in practice for an encyclopedia's worth of installation. With a 3-4 base, it is more specialty players in the front seven and once again, when injury strikes, they are even harder to replace. With more dynamic offenses using the hurry-up, the difficulty for substitutions for a complex 3-4 are compounded. It's a passing league and bend but don't break is not a bad approach. Rush the passer and play 2 deep safeties. Fatigue affects the mind, and the players just have to think to damn much in his scheme. Even Belicheck moved to a 4-3 and simplified the schemes, which saves some money on the defensive side and allows more money to be allocated to the offense. The CBA, injuries, spread offenses, and the no-huddle in today's NFL make Rex's approach outdated. The combine is predominately physical, not mental. Why run a defense that mitigates your tangible assets that can be measured and observed full speed just to handicap them with ancient schematic complexities with little time to practice it all.

this is an interesting take. that approach also lets you take less...er....intelligent players and get them up to speed faster with less complex stuff involved--just playing read and react on instincts.

I think amongst Bills fans (from reading everyone cry about it) the assumption is that the defense would have been just as good, if not better, the past two years. All I'm pointing out is that assumption is faulty as TWO of your FOUR defensive linemen have been out/washed up because they're over 30 and THAT WAS THE STRENGTH of the Defense. I'm not saying it's automatic, I'm just saying based on those facts and injury to Aaron Williams that it is very possible and for some reason no Bills fans question that. combine that with going into the season without a quarterback or first round pick and I'm not sure why its a good assumption that this team would be an automatic playoff participant these past two years.

OK, we keep Rex and everyone involved in this losing organization!

OK, we keep Rex and everyone involved in this losing organization!

See you next December!

I would love to have him back. He hasn't done a good job with this defense-just pointing out that this notion that you guys deserve a superbowl because went 9-7 and had returning over 30 year olds who got injured/washed up and another suspended and had a Retired QB (kind of important position) with no first round draft pick is absolutely nuts. Bills fans, and probably their players also, think that because they went 9-7 and could have made playoffs but lost to 3-13 team instead they actually won something. All I'm pointing out is that if you had Schwartz, his 4-3 defense would have been in trouble these past two year because the 4 in the 4-3 would be down to 1 and a half. not too complicated to figure that out.

Are you a serious fan?

I freely admit my opinions are at least partially biased by my dislike for blowhards.

That's OK!

1. Who are the "two of your four" DL that have been out/washed up?

2. Why are you here Geno?

That is what he wants. He is a Jet's fan. = Geno Smith

Trying to convince Bills fan to embrace Rex as permanent coach so they can beat us with QB's like Fitz every time.

"Every time." We have beaten him 2 out of 3 in the past two years.

1. Who are the "two of your four" DL that have been out/washed up?

2. Why are you here Geno?

Mario Williams=washed up. I know, you're sad didn't keep him and his 1.5 sack/13 tackles for over 10 million dollars. Is Dolphins scheme problem also? Not enough talent with Suh and Wake on that line?

Kyle Williams missed over half of season last year and is out now for the rest of the season.

Dareus missed over half of season this year.

So right now, in the stretch run (probably would be 13-0 without Rex so not such a big deal), you would have a dline with an injured Dareus and Hughes, below average linebackers (Does Rex get any credit for Z brown and Alexander or no?) and the worst safeties in the league with a below average quarterback and two injured receivers. And not to mention Rex was definitely instrumental in bringing your best O-linemen in and possibly Shady too. I've been rooting for Bills this year because loved what Rex did with Jets and Mark Sanchez and Geno smith (not easy to win with bad Qb). Interested in hearing actual arguments against my specific points about how this team would be in trouble with or without Rex, not just pointing out that im a Rex lover (which I am even though agree really disappointing his defense stinks now) and therefore cant have an argument.

Oh, and which teams that have QB as bad as Tyrod are awesome-not too many (although there are cases).

this is an interesting take. that approach also lets you take less...er....intelligent players and get them up to speed faster with less complex stuff involved--just playing read and react on instincts.

Thanks. I am definitely not ragging on the intelligence of the players, nor do I hate Rex. The rules and officiating make it awfully tough on these guys too. Head banging, extreme pain, fatigue, and asking them to master a ton of alignments and keys. It's a crazy challenge for any player.

That is what he wants. He is a Jet's fan. = Geno Smith

Trying to convince Bills fan to embrace Rex as permanent coach so they can beat us with QB's like Fitz every time.

Is he really a Jets fan? Geno Smith? If I were a Jets fan and my screen name was Geno Smith I'd want to break my own jaw.

I mean, by the Vizzini-like display of dizzying intellect, I suppose he COULD actually be a Jets fan and still have chosen the name Geno Smith... I suppose... possibly...

I think Rex should stay another season here's 5 reasons why:

1. Our defense did not get rolled these past few games because of coaching. We simply could not execute on the field. Bell was running through an 8 man front all day, what the hell do you expect the DC to do when his team can't tackle? Or what about the Jets, Raiders games when our cb's WITH safety help still can't physically cover their guys? Is a new head coach supposed to fix their technique?

2. We don't have a franchise qb. Look at the good playoff teams, they all have one. We took the best guy Whaley could find for Rex and surrounded him with a pretty good Oline and 2 great RB's but he didn't pan out. Not the head coaches fault. If you believe TT is not the answer, how can you possibly expect the coach to consistently win in this league with him at qb?

3. Making the change from Roman to Lynn took a lot of balls and showed me that Rex isn't afraid to

admit he was wrong and make a bold change at the top to better his team. This offseason Lynn can install his own system and get even better.

4. This is just a hunch, but I think Kyle Williams retires if we get another HC. The guy still is a force and we need him on this team, but at this point he's set for life financially, his family lives in the south, and there's a lot of wear and tear on the guy. If anyone could sell him on one more season it would be Rex, not some new guy who is going to "fix" everything with another new system.

5. I think Rex's history is decent considering he's had a bunch of .500 or better seasons with never having a franchise qb. Can you name any other coaches that played in a division with a perennially dominant team like the Pats that had playoff success without a top 10 qb? If you can't, then what do you really expect a new guy is going to do here that all the previous head coaches failed to do?

I think Pegula understands that a good year for a coach without a stud qb in this league is around .500 and he keeps Rex here for another season at least.

There is no "Defensive of Rex," literally and/or metaphorically.