Russ Brandon and others...

pepsicat17

Terrry Pegula isn't a fool, but he's a businessman and not a football man. Pegula probably loves Brandon from the business side of things. Pegula is to Buffalo what Trump was NYC back in the day. He practically owns the city. He probably sees Brandon as a guy who can help him further those interests. None of us are arguing against Brandon from a business aspect. We have a problem with the input he has on football operations. There isn't much else to say. You either believe he has input or you don't. Those of us who believe he has a bit too much say in football matters aren't fans of the guy. That's the issue we have with Brandon.

We can respectively disagree over the amount of influence that Brandon had over the football operations under the prior regime. It must be remembered that during the waning days of the Wilson ownership it was a unique situation, especially under Levy who openly acknowledges that he wasn't equipped to handle the responsibilities associated with the GM job that he undertook. If Brandon assumed too much football responsibility it wasn't because he usurped anyone else's authority. He filled a void and held the fort down. He was more than willing to turn over whatever football responsibility he had once Nix came on board. He shouldn't be condemned for that he should be credited for how he handled that turbulent period.

The person who heads the football operation is Whaley. If you have issues with the direction of the team then he should be the focus of your attention. He's driving the bus.If you don't like the direction of the franchise then it would be appropriate to call for someone else to steer the vehicle.

As I said in a prior post and many other posts if you want to dramatically change the dynamic of this franchise for the better then it is imperative to find an authentic franchise qb to take the snaps. That's the challenge and that's where the focus should be. Until that issue is addressed the dispiriting commentary will continue to be the same.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is "this" organization has not missed the playoffs 16 straight years. This organization is two years old

True, but the Pegulas didn't clean house. There are plenty of links to the heritage of 16 years of failure. Brandon being the foremost. It would be like a new president telling you that it's new era while keeping key cabinet members from the previous administration. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Yeah if team did that they might be a spectator from the playoffs for the better part of 2 decades...oh wait

I hardly give Rusty credit for that. Back in the 90's there were empty stadiums all over the league. The league is a totally different animal the last 15 years. The NFL sells itself. Christ, back in the 90's fantasy football wasn't even evented was it.

Far as my friend it is someone I have known my whole life & trust & he has very close workings with Pegs. You could believe what you hear, I will believe what I hear.

Not to the local corporate sponsorship that generates unshared revenue, it doesn't. Especially in economically depressed areas like we were from the late nineties when Brandon arrived and through the great recession.

That's cool. Ask your friend if he's heard from Polian family members and others from around the league that are close to them.

I applaud your very well written message, but I fear it will fall mostly on deaf ears. :lol:

The Jesuits have a remedy for "deaf ears": Multiple lashes to the rear! It improves the auditory receptors. :D

I understand the frustrations of so many because I also fall in that tormented category. What will do more to elevate the spirits of the frustrated fans is quality qbing. We haven't had it on a sustained basis for two decades. That is not acceptable.

The Jesuits have a remedy for "deaf ears": Multiple lashes to the rear! It improves the auditory receptors. :D

I understand the frustrations of so many because I also fall in that tormented category. What will do more to elevate the spirits of the frustrated fans is quality qbing. We haven't had it on a sustained basis for two decades. That is not acceptable.

Indeed--there is absolutely no way this conversation is happening if this team had a top-15 NFL QB.

But we do not! Because the FO has no vision! The FO consisting of Whaley and....

Brandino....

That can't be true.

First off, they did pick a QB in the first round in 2013, so let's not pretend that they don't value the position.

They also picked a potential QB of the future last year, so again, nothing you're saying here makes sense.

Now, if you want to say that they haven't picked the right QB, sure, that's a salient point. It's not for lack of vision. Blame Whaley (and Nix) for that...because they are in charge of football personnel.

Indeed--there is absolutely no way this conversation is happening if this team had a top-15 NFL QB.

If the Bills had a Kirk Cousin type of qb who was drafted in the fourth round the atmosphere would be so much more positive. It must be remembered that Cousin's was drafted in the same year that the Skins took Robert Griffin near the top of the draft. Shanahan took a lot of grief when he selected Kirk in that particular draft. Foresight is often not appreciated until much later down the road!

It stands to reason that with seven head coaches and twice as many starting QBs, six GMS, and two owners, there would be a constant source for our constant suckitude.

Yes, and that "constant source" would be our total lack of an elite QB, no matter the resources devoted to finding one. We've invested high pick, medium picks, and low picks over the years since Kelly and NOT ONE of them panned out.

And the search continues.

Yes, and that "constant source" would be our total lack of an elite QB, no matter the resources devoted to finding one. We've invested high pick, medium picks, and low picks over the years since Kelly and NOT ONE of them panned out.

And the search continues.

The only arguement against that I could make is that we reached for several of the QBs. We also stuck with a few of them too long when we should have known what they were. Losman and Manuel were the only two QBs we picked in the first round. They were both flawed selections with too many question marks to warrant being first round choices. Bust on a guy like Cutler or David Carr and I could understand, but Losman and Manuel had too many question marks heading into the pros. Losman was known as a strong armed knucklehead who played at Tulane, and Manuel threw nothing but screen passes to a very talented FSU team. A team that won a national championship once he left. Trent Edwards was a third round pick who no team would have counted on as having the tools to becoming a franchise starter. The Bills didn't expect him to be either. He just became the starter by the fact that Losman sucked. PS We never once went all out to move up in the draft to take a shot at a top QB. The only time we picked a QB in the top 20 was taking Manuel in poor QB draft class. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The only arguement against that I could make is that we reached for several of the QBs. We also stuck with a few of them too long when we should have known what they were. Losman and Manuel were the only two QBs we picked in the first round. They were both flawed selections with too many question marks to warrant being first round choices. Bust on a guy like Cutler or David Carr and I could understand, but Losman and Manuel had too many question marks heading into the pros. Losman was known as a strong armed knucklehead who played at Tulane, and Manuel threw nothing but screen passes to a very talented FSU team. A team that won a national championship once he left. Trent Edwards was a third round pick who no team would have counted on as having the tools to becoming a franchise starter. The Bills didn't expect him to be either. He just became the starter by the fact that Losman sucked. PS We never once went all out to move up in the draft to take a shot at a top QB. The only time we picked a QB in the top 20 was taking Manuel in poor QB draft class.

We invested first round picks in Rob Johnson and then Drew Bledsoe as well.

Who should we have gone "all out for" and moved up to get? Great, blue chip QBs are rare and teams don't usually give them up.

The person who heads the football operation is Whaley. If you have issues with the direction of the team then he should be the focus of your attention. He's driving the bus.If you don't like the direction of the franchise then it would be appropriate to call for someone else to steer the vehicle.

A GM who has not been given the latitude to pick either of the Bills last two head coaches or its current starting QB is most certainly not driving the bus.

We invested first round picks in Rob Johnson and then Drew Bledsoe as well.

Who should we have gone "all out for" and moved up to get? Great, blue chip QBs are rare and teams don't usually give them up.

Teams don't give up blue chip QBs, that's why we shouldn't have thought Bledsoe and Johnson were the answer. When all we had at QB was Losman going into the 2008 season the draft choice of McKelvin over Flacco for instance doesn't make sense. Throughout the years there are countless examples of similar mistakes. The fo hasn't done well enough in the search for a QB. We drafted like we were all set at QB when we had guys like Losman, Edwards, and Fitz starting. Anyone should have known those guys weren't franchise QBs, but our fo didn't treat QB like it was a need. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Again, I don't think too many people read my long form post above, but judge Brandon solely on his football decisions as GM from 2008-2009 and he deserves to get fired.

Trading Jason Peters (who is STILL starting for Philly) less than a week before the season starts was a terrible idea. Signing Terrell Owens was a joke.

Deciding to send one home game a year to Toronto was a terrible business AND football decision. The players themselves hated playing the game, with Eric Wood famously calling the series "a joke" on 97 Rock back in 2012.

Hell, I'll even throw extending Dick Jauron's contract mid-2008 season into the mix. A hot start shouldn't have earned him the extension, and he was subsequently fired before the end of the next season.

These are all measureable, concrete, examples of Russ Brandon's terrible football management. For these reasons alone, he deserves unemployment. But again, Bud Carpenter, Jim Overdorf, Scott Berchtold et al seem to never not have a job at One Bills Drive, so I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Again, I don't think too many people read my long form post above, but judge Brandon solely on his football decisions as GM from 2008-2009 and he deserves to get fired.

Trading Jason Peters (who is STILL starting for Philly) less than a week before the season starts was a terrible idea. Signing Terrell Owens was a joke.

Deciding to send one home game a year to Toronto was a terrible business AND football decision. The players themselves hated playing the game, with Eric Wood famously calling the series "a joke" on 97 Rock back in 2012.

Hell, I'll even throw extending Dick Jauron's contract mid-2008 season into the mix. A hot start shouldn't have earned him the extension, and he was subsequently fired before the end of the next season.

These are all measureable, concrete, examples of Russ Brandon's terrible football management. For these reasons alone, he deserves unemployment. But again, Bud Carpenter, Jim Overdorf, Scott Berchtold et al seem to never not have a job at One Bills Drive, so I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I'm glad you pointed out the media guy still has his job. When I think of the Bills ineptitude, I think of Scott Berchtold.

A GM who has not been given the latitude to pick either of the Bills last two head coaches or its current starting QB is most certainly not driving the bus.

Whaley was in the room when the coaches were selected. Especially with Rex if he had major reservations he should have asserted himself. That's on him. As far as the current qb I don't know how one can say that he wasn't involved in bringing in TT. Rex certainly had a prior association with him but that isn't to say that Whaley also didn't want him. If you recall the situation Orton retired and there was a clear organizational disillusionment with EJ. Who else was out there? If you are selecting from the bottom of the barrel then you have no choice but to select from the bottom of the barrel. Throwing one's hands up in despair and doing nothing because of one's lack of quality options isn't acceptable.

I'm not a harsh critic of Whaley. But let's look at the reality of the situation. This is a Whaley roster. No doubt that bringing in the buffoonish Rex with his personally designed defensive scheme required adding defensive pieces that could have been directed to the offense but Whaley and his staff for the most part were responsible for the roster.

Looking at this roster what is causing most of the negativity toward it is the glaring deficiency at the qb position. That is the shadow that dims everything else about the team. Until that position is addressed little else matters.

Teams don't give up blue chip QBs, that's why we shouldn't have thought Bledsoe and Johnson were the answer. When all we had at QB was Losman going into the 2008 season the draft choice of McKelvin over Flacco for instance doesn't make sense. Throughout the years there are countless examples of similar mistakes. The fo hasn't done well enough in the search for a QB. We drafted like we were all set at QB when we had guys like Losman, Edwards, and Fitz starting. Anyone should have known those guys weren't franchise QBs, but our fo didn't treat QB like it was a need.

Technically we also had Trent Edwards if you categorize him as a QB. I'd be willing to forgive this oversight on your part given his career and body of work.

There's some truth to this, but again, it's always easier to criticize after the fact. I believe a QB should be selected every draft, not only for the hope of developing him but also for future trade currency.

RE: The 2004 draft class, I'm quite certain its been documented the Bills were willing to move up to Pitt's spot and grab Big Ben but Pitt told us to F off. If Pittsburgh trades out of the spot, it's unlikely this thread is ever started and you don't want Russ's scalp over a variety of heresy and alleged personnel tinkering.

If Pittsburgh trades out of the spot, it's unlikely this thread is ever started and you don't want Russ's scalp over a variety of heresy and alleged personnel tinkering.

What's more believable? That the Pittsburgh Steelers (as organization that knows how to win championships), in desperate need of a QB themselves, would've entertained trade ideas to pass on Rothlisberger or that a guy who was held the title of GM, sits in the war room, conferred daily with the football people as team president, etc. had nothing to do with or say about personnel?