Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

Just threw two of these in the bath after they spent the day in cold water. Will ice them down Friday a.m. and smoke them Saturday. Never did pastrami so I'm looking forward to this. Gonna have to pick up some Jewish rye and make pastrami rubens on Sunday.

If I made it to the store I would've this week. Couple busy ones coming up but I'm certainly doing it soon

Threw a couple of small slabs of beef ribs in... probably do one 24 hr and the other 72. Varied the seasoning and will do different sauces/sides to keep the meals a bit unique but looking forward to the final product tomorrow and then again early next week

I think this thread started as a result of Sear opening in Buffalo. Someone said "I can do it better at home", and I was skeptical. I have since learned, and it's true. We went to a chophouse in Vail, CO a couple nights ago. For two 8 oz filets, a couple sides and 2 glasses of wine, it was $153 before tip. (And the service was pathetic as my wife's water NEVER got refilled and she drank mine.) The steak was under seasoned, I'm glad I ordered med as I got med-rare and my wife's was over cooked. The sides were average at best. But Denver and Vail are cool. :)

I think this thread started as a result of Sear opening in Buffalo. Someone said "I can do it better at home", and I was skeptical. I have since learned, and it's true. We went to a chophouse in Vail, CO a couple nights ago. For two 8 oz filets, a couple sides and 2 glasses of wine, it was $153 before tip. (And the service was pathetic as my wife's water NEVER got refilled and she drank mine.) The steak was under seasoned, I'm glad I ordered med as I got med-rare and my wife's was over cooked. The sides were average at best. But Denver and Vail are cool. :)

I feel your pain.

i never, ever, go to a high end steak house unless it's work related and someone else is picking up the tab. Can do better at home!

I feel your pain.

i never, ever, go to a high end steak house unless it's work related and someone else is picking up the tab. Can do better at home!

Mrs. Hammersticks and I very rarely go out to eat. By the time we pay a babysitter $10 an hour, and pay for a half-way decent meal at a restaurant, we're in for at least a $200 evening. I can get a couple high quality steaks, some seafood, and a couple nice bottles of wine or champagne for $50-60.

Lately I have abandoned the grill in favor of my new cast iron skillet. I did ribeyes this way on Friday. Heated up the pan until it's like the surface of the sun, throw in some butter and fresh rosemary, and then the steaks which are generously seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I baste the steaks with the rosemary butter as I cook them. When finished they have a great, flavorful crust. I love my new cast iron pan.

Mrs. Hammersticks and I very rarely go out to eat. By the time we pay a babysitter $10 an hour, and pay for a half-way decent meal at a restaurant, we're in for at least a $200 evening. I can get a couple high quality steaks, some seafood, and a couple nice bottles of wine or champagne for $50-60.

Lately I have abandoned the grill in favor of my new cast iron skillet. I did ribeyes this way on Friday. Heated up the pan until it's like the surface of the sun, throw in some butter and fresh rosemary, and then the steaks which are generously seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I baste the steaks with the rosemary butter as I cook them. When finished they have a great, flavorful crust. I love my new cast iron pan.

just remeber these tios:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Does anyone use carbon steel pans for searing? I really have no good reason for straying from my cast iron, but I have read some articles that rave about carbon steel. The only legitimate advantage I could see is that it is lighter than cast iron. I am not that concerned with the weight of my pans though. The cost of carbon steel is higher too.

Edited by chknwing334

• 3 months later...

Threw a couple of small slabs of beef ribs in... probably do one 24 hr and the other 72. Varied the seasoning and will do different sauces/sides to keep the meals a bit unique but looking forward to the final product tomorrow and then again early next week

Going to MILs house at the beach for the .holiday..going to do St Louis Ribs for the first time Sous Vide.

Using this recipe

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

Any others done ribs this way?

Just got the Anova Wifi this week. Have only done ny strips so far. I think I will try LA Billz method from earlier in the thread.Sounds like the best way to do it. I love my iron skillet. Also I saw a guy on Youtube a couple days do a prime rib and it looked amazing.

Going to MILs house at the beach for the .holiday..going to do St Louis Ribs for the first time Sous Vide.

Using this recipe

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

Man I can't see anything beating ribs on the smoker. Worth a try though.

Using this recipe

I haven't done pork ribs yet, but pretty much every form of pig I have done has come out real good.

I've got pork ribs on the smoker pretty well figured out though and can do them in my sleep so I always end up that way

I've tried a LOT of things over the years, but I have never tried ribs. It seems odd to me. I love good ribs! I'll be very eager to hear how this turns out. Good luck! Looking for some feedback.

Using this recipe

That sounds pretty awesome. Apartment living now means I had to say goodbye to my smoker a few years ago so this looks like something I can actually do then toss on a grill to get some marks and bit of bark on the outside. I was planning on doing wings for the 4th but bbq might be on the menu after all.

I'll be interested to hear how your ribs turn out. Do report back.

Just cooked some simple pork chops tonight.

I have perfected my steaks! 129 degrees, cast iron with safflower oil, and a blowtorch for the edges while the steak seats in the pan. A little butter at the very end of the sear. I never would have believed there was a better method than grilling but the sous vide method is clearly better. And I've found a great butcher near my home that cuts all the steaks to order and has great quality.

That sounds pretty awesome. Apartment living now means I had to say goodbye to my smoker a few years ago so this looks like something I can actually do then toss on a grill to get some marks and bit of bark on the outside. I was planning on doing wings for the 4th but bbq might be on the menu after all.

I'll be interested to hear how your ribs turn out. Do report back.

no smoker at her house , I had the ribs in the freezer, this recipe popped up in my mail. Figured let's give er a go!

The alternative is chicken parm she made 3 days prior and reheated at dinner time...I'll take my chances with these ribs!

Will post Sunday night after we eat!

Edited by plenzmd1

Using this recipe

I've never done ribs sous vide, but mostly because of the long bath time. It seems to me if I can bathe them for 24 hours, I can surely smoke them for 6. On the other hand, I have a Traeger, so smoking ribs for 6 hours is not near the attention-craving chore it used to be.

When I'm doing it for company, or taking it to someone's house, I almost always turn to this recipe for bourbon-glazed baby backs. You wrap them in an aluminum foil boat with pineapple juice, bake them in the oven for about an hour, and when they're done, you can pack them up, take them with, and just finish them on the grill. Even a day in advance.

Two things: (1) you have St. Louis ribs, and I'm not certain how this translates to that recipe and (2) it's something of a sticky Asian sauce, not classic BBQ, but they are devoured wherever I take them.

I've never done ribs sous vide, but mostly because of the long bath time. It seems to me if I can bathe them for 24 hours, I can surely smoke them for 6. On the other hand, I have a Traeger, so smoking ribs for 6 hours is not near the attention-craving chore it used to be.

When I'm doing it for company, or taking it to someone's house, I almost always turn to this recipe for bourbon-glazed baby backs. You wrap them in an aluminum foil boat with pineapple juice, bake them in the oven for about an hour, and when they're done, you can pack them up, take them with, and just finish them on the grill. Even a day in advance.

Two things: (1) you have St. Louis ribs, and I'm not certain how this translates to that recipe and (2) it's something of a sticky Asian sauce, not classic BBQ, but they are devoured wherever I take them.

how you digging that Traeger? I have steered people that way instead of the egg, more specifically I have said Traeger looks easier than the Egg for smoking , but does not look great for high heat grilling.

how you digging that Traeger? I have steered people that way instead of the egg, more specifically I have said Traeger looks easier than the Egg for smoking , but does not look great for high heat grilling.

It can do high-heat, but not well enough that I turn to it for burgers, etc. The newer models boast searing capabilities, but the thing is too expensive to upgrade for that reason. Still, it allows me to do more low-and-slow meals that I typically would avoid because of the amount of attention smokers need.

In the end, I have four grills in the backyard: Traeger, Weber Kettle (for burgers, dogs, etc), a Master Forge charcoal (more real estate than the Weber for things like this simple, but amazing salt-brick chicken), and a Viking gas grill, which gets limited work when I'm too lazy or really short on time.

It's the time of year where I live that you avoid the kitchen at all costs.

Oddly, as much as I cook I have never done ribs. It just seemed like so much work, but that link looks pretty simple. My favorite part is reading the reviews! People who loved it but lowered the temp and doubled the cook time, left out half the ingredients but added a half dozen others....and used chicken. WHAT? The first time around I usually tinker very little, then go from there. I'll probably take a shot at this soon.