Jim Schwartz took Eagles 30th ranked defense to top 5

Yeezus

Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson...

The Seahawks running backs had 8 carries for 10 yards and the Bills had 4 sacks. To be honest, the Bills held Forte pretty much in check in week 2 as well. The Jets and Seahawks losses are squarely on the shoulders of Gilmore and Darby. Period.

The Bills lead the NFL in sacks. They're 14th overall and 13th in points allowed. Guys, if you're gonna pile on Rex Ryan, at least try and be objective and acknowledge that the defense has not been a disaster this season. If coaches are measured by their teams' (in the case units') performance relative to their perceived talent, Rex Ryan has had a decent season coaching the Bills defense. If Gilmore and Darby don't randomly implode after both turning in top 15 seasons last year, we're having a very different conversation right now.

Great post dude.

Imploding Dbs are part of the defense, no?

The defense is average. Rex wasn't brought in to field an average defense, and certainly didn't inherit one.

You are espousing the same mediocrity that led the jets to terming him and bills fans, many who cringed the day of the hiring, to call for the same. The only difference is you are framing middling as successful despite heavy cap and draft investments.

I'd add if the blueprint resulted in New Orleans or Pittsburghs offense, and the front 7 were a bunch of JAGs (and paid as such), mediocre defense might be tolerable.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't respect a guy who gripes like that to the media. You had to drop into coverage twice in a game? Cry about it! You're worth like 100 million dollars, and are an athlete. Just do your job! How hard is that?

Maybe he wanted out of this dumpster fire. He didn't want to play for Rex. Definitely wouldn't want to play for his "fully pregnant" twin brother. I, for one am glad for Mario. Soooo, who's the whupping boy this year, Gilmore?! Rex screwed up the D-line last year, really screwed it up. This year it's the db's. Remember how bad the Saints were in pass coverage under Rob?! Well, what did you expect this year?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/sports/football/rob-ryan-fired-by-saints-as-defense-struggles.html?_r=0

On the season, the Saints rank last in nearly every major defensive statistical category, including points (315), yards (4,259), yards per play (6.7), passing touchdowns (28), net yards per pass attempt (7.9), and rushing yards per carry (5.0). New Orleans has an opponent’s passer rating allowed of 116.6, better than the passer rating of Tom Brady (111.1) and every other quarterback this season.

This is Ryan’s 12th season in the N.F.L., and he has consistently fielded below-average defenses. Among the 18 coaches who have been defensive coordinators for at least 10 seasons since 1990, Ryan’s defenses have allowed more points per game and more yards per game to opponents than any other:

Rob Ryan: 23.9 points per game; 351.2 yards per game

Jim Haslett: 23.8 ppg; 339.0 ypg

Bob Slowik: 22.9 ppg; 330.8 ypg

http://www.wgr550.com/Breaking-down-the-2016-Bills-season/22935631

* The defense the last three games. The Bills have given up 100 points in the three game losing streak to Miami, New England and Seattle. They gave up 103 points in the first 6 games of the season.

But yea, we need continuity.

Edited by Dopey

You forgot the cliff Mario fell off in in 2015. It wasn't scheme or that he loved the Wide 9 more, the guy lost his ability to beat RT's singled up. The film doesn't lie, he was awful last year, as he is this year for the Fins.

You are right - the film doesn't lie. And what the film shows and what the numbers show is the "falling off a cliff" happened after the bye. Before then he was engaged, he was trying and the results were okay but a big drop from before. After the bye he totally checked out and he deserves criticism for that, but also a physical deterioration may well have played a part.

The excuses are what they are. The tape and the numbers do not lie.

Maybe he wanted out of this dumpster fire. He didn't want to play for Rex. Definitely wouldn't want to play for his "fully pregnant" twin brother. I, for one am glad for Mario. Soooo, who's the whupping boy this year, Gilmore?! Rex screwed up the D-line last year, really screwed it up. This year it's the db's. Remember how bad the Saints were in pass coverage under Rob?! Well, what did you expect this year?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/sports/football/rob-ryan-fired-by-saints-as-defense-struggles.html?_r=0

875]On the season, the Saints rank last in nearly every major defensive statistical category, including points (315), yards (4,259), yards per play (6.7), passing touchdowns (28), net yards per pass attempt (7.9), and rushing yards per carry (5.0). New Orleans has an opponents passer rating allowed of 116.6, better than the passer rating of Tom Brady (111.1) and every other quarterback this season.

875]This is Ryans 12th season in the N.F.L., and he has consistently fielded below-average defenses. Among the 18 coaches who have been defensive coordinators for at least 10 seasons since 1990, Ryans defenses have allowed more points per game and more yards per game to opponents than any other:

875]Rob Ryan: 23.9 points per game; 351.2 yards per game

875]Jim Haslett: 23.8 ppg; 339.0 ypg

875]Bob Slowik: 22.9 ppg; 330.8 ypg

875]

875]

875]http://www.wgr550.com/Breaking-down-the-2016-Bills-season/22935631

875]

875]* The defense the last three games. The Bills have given up 100 points in the three game losing streak to Miami, New England and Seattle. They gave up 103 points in the first 6 games of the season.

875]

875]But yea, we need continuity.

It was Sean Peyton's fault if you recall. He stifled the twin mastermind.

I just can't respect a guy who gripes like that to the media. You had to drop into coverage twice in a game? Cry about it! You're worth like 100 million dollars, and are an athlete. Just do your job! How hard is that?

Dareus started bleating to the media in training camp of how he didn't like the scheme and Mario chimed in around week six because he didn't like dropping into pass coverage so often. The difference between the two players was Dareus was asked to drop into pass coverage around six times and Mario around fourteen. So, he had a point.

Let's look at some things here, under Ryan calling the plays the team stayed in mostly a run-stopping scheme and the defensive secondary played great. Alas, the sack total went into the toilet and was the lowest in the team's history during a regular season. 21 sacks total all year.

This year with a new defensive play caller the scheme has changed to a much more aggressive style of pass rush that Ryan was noted for in the past. Thus this year the Buffalo Bills lead the NFL in sacks with 30. That is nine more after only 9 games. What changed is now because of that aggressive pass rush the defense is more susceptible to the run so the team has the safeties cheating up to help with the run. This leaves the CB's in man coverage with little or no safety help and they are getting killed in the process despite the pass rush.

No matter how you slice it this Rex Ryan defense for two years now is stinking things up from the schemes and tactics they are utilizing!!

The Buffalo Bills went from a scheme that put every defender in the best position to help them make plays and in Rex Ryan's scheme that wasn't the case last year or this year for different reasons.

It was Sean Peyton's fault if you recall. He stifled the twin mastermind

My bad. Dammit Sean!

Dareus started bleating to the media in training camp of how he didn't like the scheme and Mario chimed in around week six because he didn't like dropping into pass coverage so often. The difference between the two players was Dareus was asked to drop into pass coverage around six times and Mario around fourteen. So, he had a point.

Let's look at some things here, under Ryan calling the plays the team stayed in mostly a run-stopping scheme and the defensive secondary played great. Alas, the sack total went into the toilet and was the lowest in the team's history during a regular season. 21 sacks total all year.

This year with a new defensive play caller the scheme has changed to a much more aggressive style of pass rush that Ryan was noted for in the past. Thus this year the Buffalo Bills lead the NFL in sacks with 30. That is nine more after only 9 games. What changed is now because of that aggressive pass rush the defense is more susceptible to the run so the team has the safeties cheating up to help with the run. This leaves the CB's in man coverage with little or no safety help and they are getting killed in the process despite the pass rush.

No matter how you slice it this Rex Ryan defense for two years now is stinking things up from the schemes and tactics they are utilizing!!

The Buffalo Bills went from a scheme that put every defender in the best position to help them make plays and in Rex Ryan's scheme that wasn't the case last year or this year for different reasons.

The reason this year is Rob. Last season it was Rex. Are we going for a 3rd year and a 3rd reason next season?! Oh, I'm sorry, last season it was Mario, this season it's Gilmore. Next season will be...

Edited by Dopey

I'm making no excuses for Mario - NONE. I am just pointing out that the idea he left the building with Schwartz is a misnomer.

It doesn't make sense to me why people think it is not being a good Bills fan to say.... "we screwed the pooch letting him go."

I think one could be a total zealot and say that.

Of course, I would also point out that burning a huge chunk of cap on a player that wasn't producing is also screwing the pooch and really indefensible.

He doesn't "have a point"... if dick lebeau asked you to drop into coverage you just did it. I think the key isn't that rex needs his "scheme" guys. He needs more guy's more like patriots players. Who will just do what you tell them to do...

It's great having a healthy Watkins - but when he's complaining about getting the ball it's a distraction. I'd rather have soldier's who are willing to go to battle with my game plan, than guys complaining to the media about how they are used.

Maybe its Rex's coaching style, but the players need to hold one another more accountable.

He doesn't "have a point"... if dick lebeau asked you to drop into coverage you just did it. I think the key isn't that rex needs his "scheme" guys. He needs more guy's more like patriots players. Who will just do what you tell them to do...

It's great having a healthy Watkins - but when he's complaining about getting the ball it's a distraction. I'd rather have soldier's who are willing to go to battle with my game plan, than guys complaining to the media about how they are used.

Maybe its Rex's coaching style, but the players need to hold one another more accountable.

Two things. Lebeua would never ask an attacking 4-3 DT at 330 lbs to drop in to coverage.

FFS. Patriots players? You mean a defense that has been pretty much average to crap.

The Bills DBs have had some good games this year. Same guys, better results. It think the explanation is better coaching in those games, with an effective scheme figured out and installed to counter what a particular opponent is doing. When the coaches get it wrong, the defensive backfield turns into a disaster.

It could be the other way too. Possibly the times our defensive backfield looked good was when the opposing O coordinator didn't figure out how to attack the Bills well.

When the D eventually looks great week after week, it will be because Thurman and the Ryans have installed enough defensive schemes to be prepared to stop anyone, with the necessary in-game adjustments to stop the bleeding when it starts.

Two things. Lebeua would never ask an attacking 4-3 DT at 330 lbs to drop in to coverage.

FFS. Patriots players? You mean a defense that has been pretty much average to crap.

Ehh - he might. He like invented zone blitzing.

And because they aren't top 5 they're crap? They have traded their star DE, and best MLB for picks rather than extend them. His refusal to overpay has hurt them, but they have so many picks that their chances of hitting on good players is so much higher.

We extended a DT who has played like 30 snaps this year - traded a ton of draft capital for a receiver who has barely played - are missing our voice on defense (possibly forever), and have a malcontent as our best defensive back. It's amazing that we're 4-5 at this point.

Accountability starts at home - after the Eagles loss to the Redskins:

"We were bad at the defensive coordinator position. It’s my job to put the fires out,’’ Schwartz said. “And to find something, when we’re not having a great day, to be able to have a changeup somewhere. Unfortunately, my changeups didn’t work either.”

Basically people screaming "We should have drafted Brady" but with Schwartz.

This is NOT wise after the event hindsight in my case. The posts are here in the archives to prove it.

I didn't "love Russell Wilson" or "know that OBJ was going to be a star" or "scream at the TV for us to draft JJ Watt."

I did say Jim Schwartz was a great hire - he was. I did say I thought Rex was an average to poor hire - so far that sadly looks right too. And I repeat what I said last week, I am not yet this year in "Fire Rex" mode. I think he has done a better job this year, no question, but it doesn't stop me wishing we had gone a different route in January 2015 and believing that we would have won more games since had we done that.