WR Josh Reed - $855,000 - $400,000 hit if released

San-O

When will he be released?

Seems like the Bills could save some money or sign another 3rd

wide-out that can actually catch the ball.

;)

251824[/snapback]

Perhaps the new QB will throw him the ball on time and a bit more often and his problem will cure itself.

Sorry, I'm not ready to give up on the guy just yet.

I think he will get one more shot. One more year and if he doesnt do it then see ya. But I think he will have a good year this year because im sure JP will go short passes most of the time and that will be him over the middle.

Perhaps the new QB will throw him the ball on time and a bit more often and his problem will cure itself.

251828[/snapback]

Perhaps.

He is a 3rd option at best. Why not take a chance with somebody who has

some upside. I don't think JR is an NFL receiver and he has no speed.

How many catches does he need this year to justify keeping him?

Yeah, because in college his QB was AMAZING and threw perfect passes everytime, and he only dropped the bad passes by Drew. ;)

251837[/snapback]

I know you're being sarcastic and I understand the sentiment but there's just something about the guy that says if we release him he's going to come back to haunt us.

I think he will get one more shot. One more year and if he doesnt do it then see ya. But I think he will have a good year this year because im sure JP will go short passes most of the time and that will be him over the middle.

251831[/snapback]

Good point. I have read that besides the obvious, they didn't want to

keep Bledsoe because they are going to run a different offense better

suited to Losman.

What does this mean?

Perhaps.

He is a 3rd option at best.  Why not take a chance with somebody who has

some upside.  I don't think JR is an NFL receiver and he has no speed.

251840[/snapback]

Third receiver 35+. That's my guess.

251831[/snapback]

This is the last year of his contract and I think the Bills will give him one more shot. Maybe somehow he regains his confidence from his college days when he caught everything in sight and can turn into a reliable #3 slot WR.

Perhaps.

He is a 3rd option at best.  Why not take a chance with somebody who has

some upside.  I don't think JR is an NFL receiver and he has no speed.

251840[/snapback]

Speed is probably the most overrated facet of WRs. Bucky Brooks was stupid fast but he wasn't a football player. I could probably outsprint Steve Largent but no one could cover the guy (obviously, since he's in Canton) and I work at a desk.

Now I'm saying Reed is Steve Largent. Lately he hasn't even been Steve Watson but that doesn't change the gut feeling I get. Reed gets seperation and anyone who saw him play at LSU or at training camp will tell you how talented the guy is.

I sincerely hope a change of scenery isn't what the guy needs to be the productive player he can be. As far as numbers, I don't really care too much about that because stats rarely tell the story.

Speed is probably the most overrated facet of WRs.  Bucky Brooks was stupid fast but he wasn't a football player.  I could probably outsprint Steve Largent but no one could cover the guy (obviously, since he's in Canton) and I work at a desk.

Now I'm saying Reed is Steve Largent.  Lately he hasn't even been Steve Watson but that doesn't change the gut feeling I get.  Reed gets seperation and anyone who saw him play at LSU or at training camp will tell you how talented the guy is.

I sincerely hope a change of scenery isn't what the guy needs to be the productive player he can be.  As far as numbers, I don't really care too much about that because stats rarely tell the story.

251854[/snapback]

Bill Brooks was that kind of guy also. If Bill had 4.3 speed oh man he'd have been unstoppable.

The thing that sucks is that if he plays like crap, we lose him, but if he plays really well, we'll also probably lose him as his contract demands will be high. ;) Either way, he probably won't be a Bill after this coming season.

That said, why cut him? We don't really gain anything, so might as well keep him and see what happens.

EDIT: Darn, MBD beat me to the punch. ;)

CW

If I were the Bills, I'd add a 3rd WR regardless.  The Bills can't hope Reed gets his head out of his ass, and if he does, great.  But he'll likely be gone next year either way, due to a lack of production, or getting a bigger deal elsewhere.  That is unless someone gets injured and he shines.

251863[/snapback]

There's no doubt that they're going to look to add depth at the position. I think you're right about him leaving, too - unless something terrible happens injury wise to the top 2 (knock on wood).

One thing that Bledsoe said in his parting comments, and again in coming to Dallas, was that after his first season in Buffalo, the Bills started to change their offensive philosophy. It may have sounded like an excuse, but to a degree, it may be a legit one. It is no coincidence that Reed had a better than average rookie season (although like the entire offense, faded after the first 9 or 10 games), before falling off dramatically in his second year, when he essentially had to adjust to a new position. 2004 was kind of a wash. He was injured the majority of the season. AD may be right. He may turn out to be a pretty decent 3rd guy after all. There would be little, if any, value in cutting him now...if he goes through another training camp, and gets beat out by someone else, than maybe you cut him. Don't cut him just to save a minimal amount of NFL salary cap money!

Jeez, just had a depressint thought. I would have to work about 11 years to make the amount of money I am describing as a "minimal amount." Gotta find a new job!

251828[/snapback]

Conversely, do you think Evans will suck now w/o DB?

Dude, Reed is a bust and no QB in the league is going to change that. Remember that long bomb vs. the Jags a couple of years ago that he dropped while being 20 yards wide open? That was a sure six. I could site many more examples but I just don't have the time.

Wire is also on the hot seat.

Hell, at least Peerless got his sh-- together by his third year.

Conversely, do you think Evans will suck now w/o DB? 

Dude, Reed is a bust and no QB in the league is going to change that.  Remember that long bomb vs. the Jags a couple of years ago that he dropped while being 20 yards wide open?  That was a sure six.  I could site many more examples but I just don't have the time.

Wire is also on the hot seat. 

Hell, at least Peerless got his sh-- together by his third year.

251896[/snapback]

Why would Evans suck? Losman has a big arm too.

The offense struggled early last season and by the time it somewhat found itself Reed was injured. When he came back it he was used situationally and EVERYONE knows Bledsoe's two biggest weaknesses are coming off his primary and touch on underneath stuff. Gee, what was Reed's roll again? Tough for a guy struggling with his confidence to garner any in that situation.

I could list about 20 Moulds' drops last season - but he ended up being productive because Bledsoe actually tossed the rock at him a few times.

Wire ain't on the hot seat. Dude is burning out of control.

Like I said, I have a gut feeling if we cut this guy he's gonna come back to haunt us.

I agree with most folks that there is no hurry to drop Reed unless there is definitely something better to keep. There are several ways this can happen, but the good thing about the horrible situation of having a second round pick that has not worked out (yet) is that the Bills are under no pressure to make a decision on him right now.

Because Aiken has shown promise but not stepped up yet there is an opening at #3 WR that means you don't even have to chop Reed to demonstrate there is an opening there if you want to attract an FA.

Reed gets a good look-see in voluntary camp with a new QB and even a focus on him in pre-season if he shows wel in the mini-camp. As far as cutting him there is no pressure to do so,

Same here. When he gets a ball, he fights for yards.

251902[/snapback]

I dont know how seriously to take it, but a poster who claimed to "know" once said that Reed is a party animal.

Personally, I think that in spite of his good rookie season, he sucks, and I am hoping that he will be jettisoned from the Buffalo Bills football team as soon as possible.

JP, with his lack of experience, truly does not need a wr with butter hands. We need to give him more solid options.

We're not building the Vienna Boy's Choir and I'm pretty sure most NFL rosters are loaded with guys who can hold their own in that regard.

251919[/snapback]

No doubt AD. Does this change the fact that he sucks? He dropped pass after friggin pass last season. I am thinking that JP does NOT have this learning curve to be able to afford these repeated awful mistakes.

Jmo. ;)

No doubt AD. Does this change the fact that he sucks? He dropped pass after friggin pass last season. I am thinking that JP does NOT have this learning curve to be able to afford these repeated awful mistakes.

Jmo.  ;)

251932[/snapback]

Exactly. He drops and many as he catches. Well, almost.

He had like 16 or 17 catches last year and about half as many drops.

Exactly.  He drops and many as he catches.  Well, almost.

He had like 16 or 17 catches last year and about half as many drops.

251944[/snapback]

He drops passes, and does not do much if anything on special teams. The sooner we cut him, the happier I will be....and imo, the Bills will be a better football team.

Say goodnight Josh! ;)

251828[/snapback]

There's also the fact that his downfield blocking on running plays is good enough to warrant at least one more year. Not to mention that at $850k, his cost isn't totally out of line for 3rd WR.

There's also the fact that his downfield blocking on running plays is good enough to warrant at least one more year.  Not to mention that at $850k, his cost isn't totally out of line for 3rd WR.

252044[/snapback]

If we cut him he'd be a fin that evening. Saban had him at LSU and always has nothing but praise for Josh.

There's also the fact that his downfield blocking on running plays is good enough to warrant at least one more year.  Not to mention that at $850k, his cost isn't totally out of line for 3rd WR.

252044[/snapback]

Yup, he illegally blocks downfield better than any other WR I've seen ;)

Ok, that was a cheap shot. I'm a bit loopy from working the past two days, but have to stay awake to start again at 9pm... Joy.

CW

Speed is probably the most overrated facet of WRs.  Bucky Brooks was stupid fast but he wasn't a football player.  I could probably outsprint Steve Largent but no one could cover the guy (obviously, since he's in Canton) and I work at a desk.

Now I'm saying Reed is Steve Largent.  Lately he hasn't even been Steve Watson but that doesn't change the gut feeling I get.  Reed gets seperation and anyone who saw him play at LSU or at training camp will tell you how talented the guy is.

I sincerely hope a change of scenery isn't what the guy needs to be the productive player he can be.  As far as numbers, I don't really care too much about that because stats rarely tell the story.

251854[/snapback]

let's be fair to bucky -- after he tore up his knee his rookie year, he was never the same. my guess is he lost .2 - .3 seconds off his 40 time for that. the bills were super high on him that camp. it's too bad when that happens. same thing happened to j.d. williams when leonard smith rolled up his leg. he never ended up being the guy the bills envisioned because of that.

let's be fair to bucky -- after he tore up his knee his rookie year, he was never the same. my guess is he lost .2 - .3 seconds off his 40 time for that. the bills were super high on him that camp. it's too bad when that happens. same thing happened to j.d. williams when leonard smith rolled up his leg. he never ended up being the guy the bills envisioned because of that.

JD Williams had an eye problem or some condition that led to a lack of depth perception. His speed was always there, and IIRC was annually among the finalists in the "fastest man in the NFL" competitions.

252220[/snapback]

Regardless of the name, the road of the game is littered with fast guys who weren't football players. I could have said "Skeets" Nehemiah - which would have been just as appropriate.

We were high on Traveras Tillman, too. Gimme a Chris Spielmann anyday.