New Brakes on my car, what a ripoff!

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True story...wanted to switch out an electric cook top for gas...ended up with a kitchen remodel :wallbash:

That is exactly how it works.....one thing leads to another! We needed a little insulation in one room, and ended up with a new roof line, some extra windows, an extra bathroom and on and on. Six figures later we were left asking "what just happened?"

(And gas is the way to go for sure!)

True story...wanted to switch out an electric cook top for gas...ended up with a kitchen remodel :wallbash:

Yep. "I bought a new rug for the living room. But it doesn't match." Six months later, having gutted and remodeled the room - new insulation, drywall, wiring, paint, custom trim molding, a new red oak hardwood floor, new furniture..."I don't like that rug."

This month, we're having the foundation jacked up under the kitchen. "After that, we have to replace the floor." But dear, we can't do that without removing the cabinets. "So we'll get new cabinets. Since we're doing that, we may as well redo the drywall. And reinsulate. And redo the electrical in the kitchen. But to do that we need a heavy-up. And if we're going to do a heavy-up, we should rewire the living room. Hey, then we can remodel the living room, and I can get a new rug!"

Can we just maybe...I dunno...fix the thing where the kitchen is falling over first?

Friggin' dames...

Bathroom. Wanted to replace curling wallpaper, shower door and a light fixture.

Gutted the whole thing and have a walk-in shower, shower heads on either end of the shower, fancy tile, HEATED tile floor and enough lights

to illuminate the whole house. The heated floor is the bomb and the cats love it.

Bathroom. Wanted to replace curling wallpaper, shower door and a light fixture.

Gutted the whole thing and have a walk-in shower, shower heads on either end of the shower, fancy tile, HEATED tile floor and enough lights

to illuminate the whole house. The heated floor is the bomb and the cats love it.

Clearly it was worth it if the cats are happy! :)

Ugh, you got shafted. You could have taken it to a dealer and paid about half that. Did he give a reason for replacing the calipers on an 8-year old car? And why did a brake job take 3 days? Parts for a 2008 Malibu certainly aren't rare.

I got to agree, I am not an expert on cars but my dad had a 2012 Malibu & I ordered the pads/rotors online cost about $250 & had my friend pop them in. Took him the morning. He did it for free as a favor. He also told me you really have to grind the sh&t out of the pads/rotors to have to replace the calipers. He didn't mention how much those cost though,

Yep, very easy. Go to college, get a good job, pay someone else to do it. easy peesy....ain't no way i getting in a car where some dude says "eh, watched a youtube video, did all my own brake work" ...uber , here i come

Hey I am with you on that one. I don't work all week so I could spend my weekends putting brakes on my car. Besides knowing me, I would end up not setting the car jack up right & end up killing myself. Remember I was the guy that couldn't figure out why my pool heater wasn't working a few years ago, had my brother in law come out to take a look at it & he turned the gas knob to open & started laughing his ass off.

My buddy that I take my brakes too actually has a a cushy executive banking job. Makes a ton of money. His dad used to own a brake shop & he enjoys putting them on. He never charges me anything for them. Some guys have weird hobbies.

The car was at that point where repairs were exceeding future payments. It was getting to be every few months. My wife is the master negotiator. My 27 year old son was texting me saying he felt bad for the poor young guy she was up against. (She's a champ!) At some point you trade payments for repairs. In this case we will be on the hook for our first car loan in decades. Hope with bonuses he can get it off the books in 12-18 months. This came shortly after we bought a condo in Nashville for him and his son with a shiny new mortgage we have not even made a payment on yet. And we couldn't be happier with the outcome or the ability to be of help. :)

I wish you were my dad.

Yep. "I bought a new rug for the living room. But it doesn't match." Six months later, having gutted and remodeled the room - new insulation, drywall, wiring, paint, custom trim molding, a new red oak hardwood floor, new furniture..."I don't like that rug."

This month, we're having the foundation jacked up under the kitchen. "After that, we have to replace the floor." But dear, we can't do that without removing the cabinets. "So we'll get new cabinets. Since we're doing that, we may as well redo the drywall. And reinsulate. And redo the electrical in the kitchen. But to do that we need a heavy-up. And if we're going to do a heavy-up, we should rewire the living room. Hey, then we can remodel the living room, and I can get a new rug!"

Can we just maybe...I dunno...fix the thing where the kitchen is falling over first?

Friggin' dames...

Maybe you should just move.

$1500 for new Brakes, new Rotors and new Calipers as well! A couple weeks ago on Sunday I was hearing a severe grinding sound in my brakes and took it in right away on Monday. He fixed it by Thursday and it cost me $1500 for it. What do you guys think of this? The guy is a friend of my Dad's. I dont think I will bring my car there anymore cause I think he overcharged me by alot for this. I dont want to come off as a complainer though and very grateful I have new Brakes and my car is back to full health.

You got boned