Injuries

OhDozeBills

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it's bad when you are banking on glass Goodwin to stay healthy.

Also, don't forget that clay and Felton are banged up.

i think the glass nickname should have always been for watkins, I havent seen goodwin on ir at all this year, or even miss a game. Always funny how the smallest guy on the team gets made fun of when 300 lb lineman and 220lb receivers cant stay healthy either. He should get a little slack since he weighs 180 and got hurt getting laid-out running ridiculous 5 yard crossing routes his first and second year instead of deep balls. He could have just pulled a watkins those years and drop everything not near the sideline so he could duck away from contact.

its easy to keep plays alive when you miss the guy wide open in the middle pull it down and run it to look like you "saved" the play. We lead the league in 3 n outs and led the league last year too. His scrambling masks what is a huge hole in his game.

Edited by re enlightener

i think the glass nickname should have always been for watkins, I havent seen goodwin on ir at all this year, or even miss a game. Always funny how the smallest guy on the team gets made fun of when 300 lb lineman and 220lb receivers cant stay healthy either. He should get a little slack since he weighs 180 and got hurt getting laid-out running ridiculous 5 yard crossing routes his first and second year instead of deep balls. He could have just pulled a watkins those years and drop everything not near the sideline so he could duck away from contact.

its easy to keep plays alive when you miss the guy wide open in the middle pull it down and run it to look like you "saved" the play. We lead the league in 3 n outs and led the league last year too. His scrambling masks what is a huge hole in his game.

Wait, so the guy that never landed on IR until this year is "glass", but the guy that's been on IR every season of his career is not?

And yes, Sammy has made many catches over the middle and in traffic--if you haven't seen them then I'm confident that you haven't been watching

You know what? You're right, it's frustrating.

At the same time, every team goes through this...Steelers have lost Ben and played their first 3 games without Bell. They don't have Martavis Bryant either.

NE lost Brady to suspension, their 2 backup QBs to injuries, and didn't have Gronk to start the year. They're also now without their best defensive player in Collins.

How do they beat Miami? Play stifling defense, grind out drives on the ground with whichever RBs are in the lineup, and hit a few big plays in the passing game to guys like Hunter, Goodwin, and Clay. Is that going to be easy? No way, no how...doesn't change the fact that it's the only path to victory.

Good post, my friend.

I get what the OP is saying,,,but you can't be overly upset about Shaq, Ragland and Dareus since they haven't even played a down yet. Just think when they do come back you're plugging in 1st/2nd round talent to an already good D.

Watkins and Shady? eh, they are fragile. I'm surprised Shady lasted a healthy 6 weeks before tweaking something. Other guys will (and have) stepped up. The only player we really can't afford to lose is Tyrod imo. He doesn't get enough credit for what he does out there to keep plays alive.

I hope you crossed your heart and said a quick prayer after mentioning that we cannot afford to lose Tyrod.

If only Miami could suffer a similar sort of injury...say, losing one of their best defensive players for the season right before they play us?

They have 1 key player out. If we were healthy aside from, say Watkins or Darius, then that's something you should be able to overcome. We are going to be missing several key players with depth guys behind them hurt as well.

They have 1 key player out. If we were healthy aside from, say Watkins or Darius, then that's something you should be able to overcome. We are going to be missing several key players with depth guys behind them hurt as well.

1 key player out from what was already the worst run defense in football. It will make their run defense, and their passing defense, significantly worse.

On defense, we are healthy aside from Dareus. Have been all year. Seems to me like they've overcome that.

I get what the OP is saying,,,but you can't be overly upset about Shaq, Ragland and Dareus since they haven't even played a down yet. Just think when they do come back you're plugging in 1st/2nd round talent to an already good D.

Watkins and Shady? eh, they are fragile. I'm surprised Shady lasted a healthy 6 weeks before tweaking something. Other guys will (and have) stepped up. The only player we really can't afford to lose is Tyrod imo. He doesn't get enough credit for what he does out there to keep plays alive.

Everyone thinks we're fine on defense, but make no mistake we miss those guys and it will catch up to them not having them out there. The Rams and 49ers, neither of which are anything close to high powered offenses, have moved the ball fairly well on our defense. The offense has been playing better and staying on the field which has helped our defense tremendously. I just think we need to get Darius and Shaq back out there ASAP because they will make a huge difference when we play better offensives and could affect the game outcome. It's going to take these guys 2-3 games to get in game shape as well, so we really need them out there sooner than later with tough schedule upcoming.

Yeah, great draft! Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland will be studs! Oh wait, they're both hurt. Well we still got our best Defensive player Marcel. Nah, forget about him too, he won't play at least half the year. Well at least we got two studs on the offensive side of the ball, Watkins and Shady will carry us. Uh, nope they're down too. Looks like Woods and Salas will have to pick us up....errr, sorry but they're injured as well. And on, and on, and on. Damn, Gragg looks pretty good, will provide some nice TE depth...ooops.

I mean, yeah injuries happen to every team but seriously!?!? I mean can't Reggie Bush pull a hammy? Why are all our best players getting hurt, and these aren't just one week injuries either.

At my wits end with this. Can someone convince me how we are going to beat the Dolphins? It's a crucial game, but it comes a point where you just can't replace your top playmakers on both sides of the ball. Sure, we've had guys step up BIG TIME, but no Shady, Darius again, Woods possibly out. Yeah Shaw will play but the guys still a rookie with 3 NFL practices under his belt.

It'll be a miracle if they can find a way to win Sunday.

How do you feel about holding someone accountable?

I've been waiting for someone to finally say this! Kudos

Envisioning EJ (last year 0-2, the Jax game) , and depending on him, is downright frightening for a Bills fan.

Wait, so the guy that never landed on IR until this year is "glass", but the guy that's been on IR every season of his career is not?

And yes, Sammy has made many catches over the middle and in traffic--if you haven't seen them then I'm confident that you haven't been watching

isnt this season a season? and goodwin played half a season year 1 and part of year two, about as many games as sammy so far, and no not "many" go find it the stat and if its even close to 20% ill give you 20 dollars, sammy lived at the sidelines, where he could sneak out of bounds immediately after the catch.

isnt this season a season? and goodwin played half a season year 1 and part of year two, about as many games as sammy so far, and no not "many" go find it the stat and if its even close to 20% ill give you 20 dollars, sammy lived at the sidelines, where he could sneak out of bounds immediately after the catch.

So you want to characterize Sammy as "glass" despite the fact that he missed a total of 3 of his first 32 games leading into this season, but you're fine with Goodwin's toughness despite the fact that he missed 24 of his first 32 games, and 30 of his first 48? Do you realize that makes no sense? Even if Sammy missed this entire season, he'd have missed 17 of his first 48 games compared to 30 for Goodwin. It's not even close between the two, and frankly I'm shocked that anyone that's even vaguely familiar with this team could be wrong by that much about the issue.

As to "find the stat", well, I don't see anywhere that lists the distribution of catches, but I did find the following:

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-only-one-concern-can-hold-sammy-watkins-back-from-his-ceiling.html

According to the above, in 2015...

23.5% of his routes were fly patterns

50.4% of his routes were inward-breaking

26.1% of his routes were outward-breaking

If half of his routes were inward-breaking, that doesn't come close to supporting your assertion that he "lived at the sidelines". It's also worth noting that (from the same link) his success percentage was higher overall on inward-breaking routes than outward-breaking, so that's not exactly supportive of your stance either.

Also, just for fun, his first big game in the NFL pretty much silences your entire point all by itself:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014091400/2014/REG2/dolphins@bills#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000394935&tab=recap

Now, if you want to go ahead and find a catch distribution chart that backs up your assertion, I'll listen.

Edited by thebandit27

Also, just for fun, his first big game in the NFL pretty much silences your entire point all by itself:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014091400/2014/REG2/dolphins@bills#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000394935&tab=recap

Now, if you want to go ahead and find a catch distribution chart that backs up your assertion, I'll listen.

i guess it shouldnt amaze me how someone can watch the games and still find a stat that in no way proves their point, but then again if you contend that point of course watching the games has little effect on your opinion, however misguided it may be. First you talk of routes not catches. Sammys second game was your example lead by ej manual who likes/loves the crossing pattern. Sammy was a rookie in his second game after barely playing game 1 in chicago that year. He had to run those routes and had a good game but probably re-aggravated his ribs that day because the next game san diego and then houston were by far his worst games where he would paw at any ball in traffic and not make a real effort. I was furious because we could have easily won in houston and the next game manual was pulled for orton but i blamed watkins just as much if not more. Sammy henceforth began a campaign of pu$$itude where he would sluff off his middle routes and not get the ball thrown his way but then go all out on deep balls as long as he'd beaten coverage, things got worse when tyrod took over who also loves the sideline for different reasons.

Even that route tree you used shows "points" and if you look closely youll see a massive amount of points were outs, corners, flys and hooks. his hooks are sideline variety, i know because i watched every play since the houston game wondering what was wrong with twatkins. He obviously has been hurt throughout all 3 seasons and wanted to hide that and avoid contact as much as possible....any doubts? look at his rac from 2015, good for last among top 80 something receivers, look at his screen game, non-existent, why? im sure coaches must see he wont run them hard. werent we all sold on his rac ability from college? Where did it go?

the fact he is still a deep threat meant he was never shelved in those seasons for injury. Goodwin got shelved for the whole year in 2015 and might have been able to come back, thats a good 8 games or so he lost out to roster moves. Watkins will get the 8 week exception this year. That and the fact watkins is at least 30lbs heavier than goodwin was also my reason to call watkins glass, while goodwin was stupidly used through 2013 and 14 getting crossing routes and middle hooks for 4 yards and an injury. he was never supposed to be a number 1 do it all guy.

^ so the entire response is "screw the numbers, my eyes tell me the truth"?

Even though I prefaced my statements with "no chart for receptions, just routes", you leaned on that as your counterpoint.

I can't respond to opinions that lack any contextual evidence.

^ so the entire response is "screw the numbers, my eyes tell me the truth"?

Even though I prefaced my statements with "no chart for receptions, just routes", you leaned on that as your counterpoint.

I can't respond to opinions that lack any contextual evidence.

your chart and game were the evidence, the chart shows a huge amount of points for outside routes based on success, the percents listed are attempts, i made the point he lives on the sideline meaning its where he makes catches, routes ran are not an official nfl stat. You ignored a key part of your own evidence. Also the miami game was his first featured game and ej was the quarterback, that is far from a normal performance for watkins, ie no deep balls, no outside balls were even thrown because ej doesnt excel at those throws. I also by memory remember nearly every game, big catch td etc, going back to the 90's. I watched every game focusing on watkins hoping he wasnt a coward but the proof is there. It was your job to find a stat, i dont need one.

your chart and game were the evidence, the chart shows a huge amount of points for outside routes based on success, the percents listed are attempts, i made the point he lives on the sideline meaning its where he makes catches, routes ran are not an official nfl stat. You ignored a key part of your own evidence. Also the miami game was his first featured game and ej was the quarterback, that is far from a normal performance for watkins, ie no deep balls, no outside balls were even thrown because ej doesnt excel at those throws. I also by memory remember nearly every game, big catch td etc, going back to the 90's. I watched every game focusing on watkins hoping he wasnt a coward but the proof is there. It was your job to find a stat, i dont need one.

Really? It's not your "job" to provide any stats or evidence whatsoever to support a statement that you made? We should all just trust you because you remember everything flawlessly?

Gotcha.

I'll remember that for context whenever I see you make a claim.

Seriously man, it's awfully hard to take you seriously when you won't support your own statements.

As for the chart, my guess is that you didn't understand it when you read it.

685385670.png

The greatest number of points are on the 9-route, which breaks neither inside or outside. The next highest number of points? Yep, the slant, which breaks (you guessed it) inside. The next highest? The curl, which breaks (you guessed it), inside.

So again, you're completely wrong about him living on the sideline.

Now I'll refrain from any further responses until you provide something, anything, that supports your stance.

Be well.