Jim Monos is One to Watch as a Future NFL GM

Monos is a cool guy. Very down to earth. Him and Whaley together are a blast, they are good friends. It would be bad if he left the Bills, but if he can land a GM job elsewhere, he surely deserves it.

Imo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to see it on the field an not on paper. I remember when every new GM cam in and was like yeah the talent here sux but know it's much better. but nothing has changed.

It has. In the two seasons following Whaley and Monos offseasons this team is 17-15 and so far this year they are 3-2. The record of that duo is 20-17. It isn't yet fantastic but it IS a change from what has come before and a marked one.

It has. In the two seasons following Whaley and Monos offseasons this team is 17-15 and so far this year they are 3-2. The record of that duo is 20-17. It isn't yet fantastic but it IS a change from what has come before and a marked one.

And so far this year they are missing their first and second round picks (who were expected to contribute significantly), plus arguably the best defensive player (Dareus) and a guy named Sammy Watkins for the most part. Bringing in the "depth players" they did, one of whom looks like an All Pro at the moment, was brilliant. If the talent trend holds up and the coaching is adequate, I can see us becoming a real threat (assuming of course, we can get QB play in the top half of the league, so there IS that). I'm not giddy with confidence, but I AM encouraged. (This is when they crush me like a bug.....again!)

What does the roster of 2006 have to do with the 2016 roster? What mistakes did Whaley and Monos make in 2009? Monos actually won a Super Bowl that year.

This is my biggest pet peeve on the board by far. Each team and year is different. You can only judge personnel people by the roster that they assembled. To hold them accountable for decisions when they were with other teams is beyond asinine.

I've said that the talent on this roster is above average and exceeds the record. The coaching has been much better over the last 3 weeks and you are seeing the results. If you don't like the moves over the last 3 years (or whatever it's been) go ahead and trash Whaley, Monos, Fisher and company. What happened prior to them couldn't be less relevant to the conversation.

I have wondered why some folks do exactly this. look at the Bills as a forever losing franchise, without taking notice of the moving pieces within.

That is where honest hope lies. Monos is a fine example of job well done by him.

And what Whaley has done with him shines a positive light on Dougie too.

It is important to f5 this team on occasion. last couple years have shown some strong strides in the right direction in culture, personnel Coaches and Players.

So far, it looks like Rex had a big hand in signing All-pro LG Richie Incognito- QB Tyrod Taylor. Rex was also chasing OG / OT La'el Collins and he dined with him last offseason to lure him to Buffalo. Instead, the Cowboys signed him and started him at LG. So, all he did was pancake people to help the Cowboys as the #1 O-line in the league last year.

I just can't even imagine how good the Bills line could be with both Incognito and Collins at OG. Rex also wanted to bring in some defensive players last year and for some reason that didn't happen. I do believe he also had a hand in signing Percy Harvin who didn't pan out due to injury. If this team makes the playoffs this year it will be because Rex had a big hand in finding players to help the team get there.

Are we sure that even though Rex's vast player knowledge has come into play, it still is honestly a team effort to locate and recruit these players?

I think it silly to give any one man credit.

Just media fodder

Whaley and Monos have done a great job finding talent on defense, not so much on offense.

Doesn't that tell you something thought?

If I was searching for a GM, I would look for a guy who can consistently find me gems during the draft. There's too many people giving input into FA acquisitions - it's hard to solely give the Ditector of Pro Personel the credit. It's not surprising that HCs (as we have heard about Rex, and Hoodie) have a great eye for pro personnel talent. It's their job to know who the true players are. They game plan against them weekly.

That said, I highly doubt our acquisition of FA talent would suffer if Monos left. It may even improve, because it's been difficult for us to identify offensive talent.

Are we sure that even though Rex's vast player knowledge has come into play, it still is honestly a team effort to locate and recruit these players?

Just media fodder

I still have my doubts on Rex's ability to be a HC, but I don't doubt for a minute Rex has an extremely keen eye for defensive talent. He's no one man show, but he's likely the driving force behind these signings.

Doesn't that tell you something thought?

If I was searching for a GM, I would look for a guy who can consistently find me gems during the draft. There's too many people giving input into FA acquisitions - it's hard to solely give the Ditector of Pro Personel the credit. It's not surprising that HCs (as we have heard about Rex, and Hoodie) have a great eye for pro personnel talent. It's their job to know who the true players are. They game plan against them weekly.

That said, I highly doubt our acquisition of FA talent would suffer if Monos left. It may even improve, because it's been difficult for us to identify offensive talent.

I still have my doubts on Rex's ability to be a HC, but I don't doubt for a minute Rex has an extremely keen eye for defensive talent. He's no one man show, but he's likely the driving force behind these signings.

He is a student of the game, and really does know the history of so many players back to college, get all those guys in a big room and plenty of coffee and i can bet us regular folks jaws would just drop listening to the vas knowledge base

PS I would hope he is a driving force honestly ! A good Coach should know what he wants and what fits

Edited by 3rdand12

What does the roster of 2006 have to do with the 2016 roster? What mistakes did Whaley and Monos make in 2009? Monos actually won a Super Bowl that year.

This is my biggest pet peeve on the board by far. Each team and year is different. You can only judge personnel people by the roster that they assembled. To hold them accountable for decisions when they were with other teams is beyond asinine.

I've said that the talent on this roster is above average and exceeds the record. The coaching has been much better over the last 3 weeks and you are seeing the results. If you don't like the moves over the last 3 years (or whatever it's been) go ahead and trash Whaley, Monos, Fisher and company. What happened prior to them couldn't be less relevant to the conversation.

:beer:

Talk to me in December!

I have wondered why some folks do exactly this. look at the Bills as a forever losing franchise, without taking notice of the moving pieces within.

That is where honest hope lies. Monos is a fine example of job well done by him.

And what Whaley has done with him shines a positive light on Dougie too.

It is important to f5 this team on occasion. last couple years have shown some strong strides in the right direction in culture, personnel Coaches and Players.

Just media fodder

If you are content with mediocrity and no more action in January, great post. They are a losing franchise!

Talk to me in December!

If you are content with mediocrity and no more action in January, great post. They are a losing franchise!

Talk to you in December about Whaley and Monos' role over the lasts 10 seasons? They have been here for 3 or 4 seasons (can't remember). I'd be happy to talk about the roster changes in that period but anything prior is irrelevant in analyzing their performance. It's like saying "Tyrod did a poor job as the Bills QB in 2008." If they didn't play a role with the Bills prior to being hired (Whaley at Steelers and Monos in Nola) why again should we factor those years in their evaluation? That's beyond ridiculous. If you don't like the decisions over the last few years, by all means hold them accountable. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Talk to me in December!

Sorry, but you're still missing the point. Blame the current cast of characters for what they have done, if you wish. But they can not be held accountable for sins that preceded them. The good news is, I won't blame you for the clown your great grandfather voted for for President.

I mean, we don't even have the same owner!

Talk to you in December about Whaley and Monos' role over the lasts 10 seasons? They have been here for 3 or 4 seasons (can't remember). I'd be happy to talk about the roster changes in that period but anything prior is irrelevant in analyzing their performance. It's like saying "Tyrod did a poor job as the Bills QB in 2008." If they didn't play a role with the Bills prior to being hired (Whaley at Steelers and Monos in Nola) why again should we factor those years in their evaluation? That's beyond ridiculous. If you don't like the decisions over the last few years, by all means hold them accountable.

Whaley has been here for 6 (soon to be 7) years. So when you say 2006 doesn't matter, fine, but lets stop pretending he hasn't been involved for 6 years of no playoffs.

This "it's year 2!" spin is just as much nonsense as the 16 and counting.

Edited by jmc12290

Whaley has been here for 6 (soon to be 7) years. So when you say 2006 doesn't matter, fine, but lets stop pretending he hasn't been involved for 6 years of no playoffs.

Not if he wasn't in charge.

He could have had the best advice possible, but if he's not calling the shots, he can't be held accountable. Now, it IS fair to question how much they followed his suggestions, but I doubt there will ever be an answer to that.

He was Director of Pro Personnel. He wasn't the janitor.

Serious question: is pro personnel more free agent acquisition? Either way, he wasn't in charge. I don't blame the VP for what a President does.

He could have had the best advice possible, but if he's not calling the shots, he can't be held accountable. Now, it IS fair to question how much they followed his suggestions, but I doubt there will ever be an answer to that.

Serious question: is pro personnel more free agent acquisition? Either way, he wasn't in charge. I don't blame the VP for what a President does.

I'm not blaming him for a decision. He's been a major part of Bills brass, with a ton of influence, for 6 almost 7 years. And we don't have a winning record over that time.

I didn't realize that it was that long honestly. I'm fine including those years in his evaluation. The Bills are a very collaborative organization so his opinion was definitely valued.

I'm not blaming him for a decision. He's been a major part of Bills brass, with a ton of influence, for 6 almost 7 years. And we don't have a winning record over that time.

You don't blame him for a decision, but you blame him for the result. He was not in charge most of that time, now that he is our talent level (by most accounts) is higher than it has been in years. He didn't pick the coach but seems to have deferred to the owners (as most of us would have). You just seem to be mad, and I get that. Let them work the plan. I don't know that Rex is the guy (I doubt he is but I just don't generally like that kind of guy), but I think Whaley IS the guy.

In addition to not having been the final say in the early years, I'll also give him the benefit of growing into the job. I don't know what you folks do or how long you've done it, but often people grow in their jobs, or at least they should.

You don't blame him for a decision, but you blame him for the result. He was not in charge most of that time, now that he is our talent level (by most accounts) is higher than it has been in years. He didn't pick the coach but seems to have deferred to the owners (as most of us would have). You just seem to be mad, and I get that. Let them work the plan. I don't know that Rex is the guy (I doubt he is but I just don't generally like that kind of guy), but I think Whaley IS the guy.

He was a part of the overall result. A huge part.

Assistant GM, Director of Pro Personnel and by all accounts, Nix's handpicked and groomed successor. This isn't a military with a clear chain of command and clear responsibility for everything on the superior. There's a ton of give and take in the war rooms of NFL teams and a ton of collaboration. Saying Whaley is blameless because he didn't have final say is like saying Monos hasn't done squat because Whaley is the one making decisions.

I didn't realize that it was that long honestly. I'm fine including those years in his evaluation. The Bills are a very collaborative organization so his opinion was definitely valued.

It seems much shorter, I had to double check.

He was a part of the overall result. A huge part.

Assistant GM, Director of Pro Personnel and by all accounts, Nix's handpicked and groomed successor. This isn't a military with a clear chain of command and clear responsibility for everything on the superior. There's a ton of give and take in the war rooms of NFL teams and a ton of collaboration. Saying Whaley is blameless because he didn't have final say is like saying Monos hasn't done squat because Whaley is the one making decisions.

It seems much shorter, I had to double check.

I fully get your point, but as I stated above: In addition to not having been the final say in the early years, I'll also give him the benefit of growing into the job. I don't know what you folks do or how long you've done it, but often people grow in their jobs, or at least they should.

I think he's doing as great job now. I've had several jobs where I was MUCH better in year five than year one. It's just the way it works. Don't jump ship due to old news, look at the current events.