Specific Question about a Specific Play

The Big Cat

Yes, that's exactly what it's a case of. This type of call happens fairly often around the league. We've all seen it before, yet I'm always surprised by how many people always think it should be a touchback.

SECTION 5 SAFETY

ARTICLE 1. SAFETY. It is a Safety:

(a) if the offense commits a foul in its own end zone or;

(b) when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the end zone in its possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line.

Exceptions:

It is not a Safety:

(1) If a forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage is incomplete in the end zone.

(2) If a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass or catches or recovers a fumble, backward pass, scrimmage kick, free kick, or fair catch kick, and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team's possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player's foot or other body part touched the ground to establish possession.

(a) If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball commits a foul in the end zone, it is a safety.

(b) If a player who intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball throws a completed illegal forward pass from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If his opponent intercepts the illegal pass thrown from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If he scores it is a touchdown.

© If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or otherwise recovers the ball commits a foul in the field of play, and the ball becomes dead in the end zone, the basic spot is the spot of the change of possession.

(d) If the spot where possession changed is inside the one-yard line, the ball is to be spotted at the one-yard line.

Notes:

(1) A ball in the end zone which is carried toward the field of play is still in the end zone until the entire ball is in the field of play (3-12-4).

(2) The impetus is always attributed to the offense, unless the defense creates a new force that sends the ball behinds its own goal line by muffing a ball which is at rest or nearly t rest, or by batting or kicking any loose ball (3-17).

BOOM /thread

Yes, that's exactly what it's a case of. This type of call happens fairly often around the league. We've all seen it before, yet I'm always surprised by how many people always think it should be a touchback.

SECTION 5 SAFETY

(b) when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the end zone in its possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line.

Exceptions:

It is not a Safety:

(1) If a forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage is incomplete in the end zone.

(2) If a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass or catches or recovers a fumble, backward pass, scrimmage kick, free kick, or fair catch kick, and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team's possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player's foot or other body part touched the ground to establish possession.

(a) If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball commits a foul in the end zone, it is a safety.

(b) If a player who intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball throws a completed illegal forward pass from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If his opponent intercepts the illegal pass thrown from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If he scores it is a touchdown.

© If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or otherwise recovers the ball commits a foul in the field of play, and the ball becomes dead in the end zone, the basic spot is the spot of the change of possession.

(d) If the spot where possession changed is inside the one-yard line, the ball is to be spotted at the one-yard line.

Notes:

(1) A ball in the end zone which is carried toward the field of play is still in the end zone until the entire ball is in the field of play (3-12-4).

(2) The impetus is always attributed to the offense, unless the defense creates a new force that sends the ball behinds its own goal line by muffing a ball which is at rest or nearly t rest, or by batting or kicking any loose ball (3-17).

Thanks! I shall wonder no more!

SECTION 5 SAFETY

Exceptions:

It is not a Safety:

Notes:

Excellent explanation.

It's not at the 1 it's a bad call it's 2 or touchback

It's not at the 1 it's a bad call it's 2 or touchback

Straight from the rule book-

"The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player's foot or other body part touched the ground to establish possession."

He isn't touching the ground at the 2. He doesn't touch the ground until he's at the 1. And that's where the ball goes.

I will add, through the first 3 games, the refs have been better in general than I expected. No major, major screw ups or WTFs.

I even appreciated their lack of flags on DBs yesterday, allowed physical corner play, and that they called it the same for both teams.

We'll see what happens in a closer game than the Jets or Cards, but I'll give them credit seeing as how I bash them enough too.

Um, you know what game is coming up this weekend right...?

SECTION 5 SAFETY

Exceptions:

It is not a Safety:

Notes:

My feelings are hurt that my post on this wasn't sufficient. :cry:

He was in bounds. Should have been a touchback with momentum carrying him into the endzone.

Wrong. The rule states that if momentum carries into the end zone, the ball is spotted at the spot of the INT. They called it exactly right.

I will add, through the first 3 games, the refs have been better in general than I expected. No major, major screw ups or WTFs.

I even appreciated their lack of flags on DBs yesterday, allowed physical corner play, and that they called it the same for both teams.

We'll see what happens in a closer game than the Jets or Cards, but I'll give them credit seeing as how I bash them enough too.

Bobby Woods was blatantly held RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REF on the second or third party of the game! That and a flag for targeting on Clay that was of course reversed for no explanation. Other than that, yes, they have been better.

If it were a WR, it would have been a TD, given the catch rule, right?

So..?

He was not touched.

Think about it this way. A defensive player cannot intercept the ball standing at the 1, and then turn around and run into the endzone, and get a touchback. Same thing here. They are saying Graham landed at the one, and rolled into the endzone. You can argue momentum, I guess, but that's why it was spotted at the 1. In my opinion at least.

https://youtu.be/sPB3u2zN8S0?t=307

EqY8sDT.jpg

Edited by What a Tuel

Straight from the rule book-

"The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player's foot or other body part touched the ground to establish possession."

He isn't touching the ground at the 2. He doesn't touch the ground until he's at the 1. And that's where the ball goes.

so u expect his foot to move 2yds back from that screen shot I'll try to find a better one

He caught it at 3-2 1/2 it shouldn't be at the 1