4th & Goal From The 1. TD Or FG?

Peace Frog

Should Buffalo Have Gone For It On 4th & Goal From The 1?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. 4th & goal from the 1? Go for it or kick the field goal?

• Rex was correct. Take the first points of the game.
    • Our defense already forced two 3 & outs and could be counted on. Go for the TD and make a statement!

If you're going to make 4th down decisions statistically, and you commit to doing it the same way all season, then the decision was to go for it. Personally, I was not upset with the FG call because I suffer from BBFS, which means I expected them to fail if they went for the TD. But I do think going for it would have been the more sound decision.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our first points of the game came on our third possession. Our defense had already forced 3 & outs on Arizona's first two possessions and could be counted on to hold them if our offense failed to punch it in. Would you have gone for it on 4th & goal from the 1 and made a statement? Given the situation, absolutely go for it. What say you?

IMO the FG was easily right call. Take the points because the way our D was playing you may not have to score a ton to win, so those 3 could be important.

Plus...Your offense and defense need momentum and confidence. Nothing is more disheartening than getting to the one yard line and getting no points. If we were losing by a couple TDs, then different decision. But our D was playing fired up, you don't want them to feel like it's all for nothing. You don't want them to get discouraged, especially with that offense we were playing. Same for the offense, getting stopped there is the kind of play that can derail the momentum and confidence they were playing with.

People tend to forget that these players are people and not video game characters in those situations when it comes to the mental side of the game. It's important to take the lead there and put points up and keep the momentum.