Charles Clay

I can't remember the last time a team worked so hard to get a player that they did not utilize at all! I'm sure it was the Bills, but it is a shame that we are paying a player as much as we are paying Clay to have him get 1 or 2 targets a game and essentially be an extra O lineman. I do believe a lot of the issue is Tyrod's inability to utilize the middle of the field. With that being said, he is our second best reciever on the team. With Sammy clearly nursing an injury that is going to be there all year, you would hope they get Clay more involved. That's probably wishful thinking on my part.

I can't remember the last time a team worked so hard to get a player that they did not utilize at all! I'm sure it was the Bills, but it is a shame that we are paying a player as much as we are paying Clay to have him get 1 or 2 targets a game and essentially be an extra O lineman. I do believe a lot of the issue is Tyrod's inability to utilize the middle of the field. With that being said, he is our second best reciever on the team. With Sammy clearly nursing an injury that is going to be there all year, you would hope they get Clay more involved. That's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Clay is an effective weapon in the middle of the field. Unfortunately there's a hole in Tyrod's game that prevents him from exploiting the area where Clay can do the most damage.

My gut is that if Clay were used more and was part of the gameplan, he'd be more focused and productive. It's hard t stay focused when you're a decoy for 58 minutes. Same with Woods.

On the interception intended for Sammy, Woods was wide open in the flat for a first down and then some. He doesn't even get a look.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

What makes it even more shocking is that the Bills are desperate for a legitimate #2 receiver. It seems that they like the idea of throwing it to Shady more than Clay. It' crazy.

It's funny how Bills fans think he is an elite TE in the NFL. Not even close.

Well he sure doesn't look like one in a Bills uniform. That is indisputable. Or course many people tried to educate the Bills fan base about Hogan too but now I don't hear them talking so loudly...

Edited by vincec

My wife hates football but she watched game with me last night. Even she noticed how bad our pass plays are. She said Jets receivers always running right direction when they catch it...Our guys always stopped, off balance or falling down. Clay just seems useless right now.

Yes. Bills passing offense is either: streaks or comeback routes. That's it. They can't execute anything else.

Dude, Clay had 5 receptions last night, most on the team. He also had more targets and at least one bad drop of a ball that hit his hands, and that's not the only time I've seen him drop critical, catchable balls.

He is underutilized, I'll grant you that, and the routes he's assigned/Taylor's inability to exploit them is a big part, but I haven't been impressed with his execution when he gets his shots.

My wife hates football but she watched game with me last night. Even she noticed how bad our pass plays are. She said Jets receivers always running right direction when they catch it...Our guys always stopped, off balance or falling down. Clay just seems useless right now.

Sounds like your wife can tell the difference between good quaterbacking and bad.

My gut is that if Clay were used more and was part of the gameplan, he'd be more focused and productive. It's hard t stay focused when you're a decoy for 58 minutes. Same with Woods.

On the interception intended for Sammy, Woods was wide open in the flat for a first down and then some. He doesn't even get a look.

Look at the coaches film. Clay is utilized and is a big part of the game plan. It is unfortunately a part of the game plan Taylor seems unable or unwilling to execute.

Sounds like your wife can tell the difference between good quaterbacking and bad.

Taylor is part of the equation, no doubt, but as I understand it Dilfer's critique pointed out that Roman's system doesn't seem to do a good job aligning the WR route structures with the QB's drop. So it may not be 100% on Taylor.

I don't remember anyone claiming he was "Elite" in this thread. Not sure where you are getting that from?

Well, we were all excited when the Bills threw down the big bucks and signed him, because we thought "finally we got a good TE and Roman's just the guy to get the most from him". Or at least I was.

What makes it even more shocking is that the Bills are desperate for a legitimate #2 receiver. It seems that they like the idea of throwing it to Shady more than Clay. It' crazy.

Again, I say, look at the route trees. It's not so much that the Bills like the idea of throwing it to Shady more than Clay, it's where they're put on the field.