Bills sign Patrick Lewis to 1-year extension

YoloinOhio

@mikerodak

The Bills and reserve center Patrick Lewis have agreed to a 1-year extension, source tells ESPN NFL Insider...

Lewis, who was claimed off waivers from Seattle last week and was due $1.671 million in base salary this season (his restricted free-agent tender), had his 2016 salary reduced to a non-guaranteed $800,000 and was given a $200,000 signing bonus. He will have a $1.2 million non-guaranteed base salary in 2017.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0565887102009482625-4

@mikerodak

The Bills and reserve center Patrick Lewis have agreed to a 1-year extension, source tells ESPN NFL Insider...

Lewis, who was claimed off waivers from Seattle last week and was due $1.671 million in base salary this season (his restricted free-agent tender), had his 2016 salary reduced to a non-guaranteed $800,000 and was given a $200,000 signing bonus. He will have a $1.2 million non-guaranteed base salary in 2017.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0565887102009482625-4

Sweet...sounds like he could be a long-term backup option.

Doesn't that mean he took a $670,000 pay cut this year to get a $1.2m non guaranteed contract next year? To me that means they likely said you won't make the team this year if you don't do this. I think I would have turned that offer down. Made the 670,000 extra this year and bet on myself to get at least a 1m backup job next year from the Bills or another team.

Doesn't that mean he took a $670,000 pay cut this year to get a $1.2m non guaranteed contract next year? To me that means they likely said you won't make the team this year if you don't do this. I think I would have turned that offer down. Made the 670,000 extra this year and bet on myself to get at least a 1m backup job next year from the Bills or another team.

The $1.67m salary was an RFA tender, which has zero guarantees. The signing bonus actually gave him $200k more guaranteed money than he had.

The $1.67m salary was an RFA tender, which has zero guarantees. The signing bonus actually gave him $200k more guaranteed money than he had.

But it's the eve of the season. The 1.67 becomes guaranteed in three days.

That's why I think they must have said you may be released if you don't take this.

That's the conclusion I drew from it. They've had a few days to evaluate him now, maybe it's not going to plan?

That's what I'm thinking. They didn't think he was playing that well. Or perhaps pretty good but not 1.67 good. How about we offer him 1 for this year and 1.2 for next, hoping he improves under Kromer and Roman and then we got a nice back up for 1.2. I only brought this up because when you first see he was extended one year you think he must be pretty good and they must like him. But chances are that he didn't impress all that much and it was more of a demotion than promotion.

That's what I'm thinking. They didn't think he was playing that well. Or perhaps pretty good but not 1.67 good. How about we offer him 1 for this year and 1.2 for next, hoping he improves under Kromer and Roman and then we got a nice back up for 1.2. I only brought this up because when you first see he was extended one year you think he must be pretty good and they must like him. But chances are that he didn't impress all that much and it was more of a demotion than promotion.

And then they watched Velasco's tape again and decided to extend Lewis

It also helps them down the line in terms of need. Teams tend to think more long-term than we do. Lewis is contracted for 2017 now, Wood has a voidable year for 2018 whereas he was a UFA in 2018.

If there's a long term C they like through the draft, they can grab him and Lewis is $100k dead money. If not, Lewis is on the books fairly cheap, they don't force the issue.

@spotrac

By extending OL Patrick Lewis through 2017 the #Bills saved $771k in 2016. Lewis carries cap hits of $900k/$1.3M.

It also helps them down the line in terms of need. Teams tend to think more long-term than we do. Lewis is contracted for 2017 now, Wood has a voidable year for 2018 whereas he was a UFA in 2018.

If there's a long term C they like through the draft, they can grab him and Lewis is $100k dead money. If not, Lewis is on the books fairly cheap, they don't force the issue.

I think it's a great deal for the Bills and smart move. I think Kromer is excellent, so a year playing under Roman and Kromer could help Lewis substantially and then 1.2 for a very capable backup is a steal.

And then they watched Velasco's tape again and decided to extend Lewis

Yes, by lowering his pay.

Yeah, on the other hand there is a lot to be said for stability.

Between this and the Wood reworking it seems we are freeing up space for something

They can carry over unused cap space from year to year, so this could be an effort to stockpile cap space for next year so they can use the Franchise Tag on Gilmore without it really harming them cap-wise. That really gives them two full seasons to see if Gilmore can stay healthy, if they can come to a reasonable, long-term deal with him and/or if Darby develops to a point where they can walk away from Gilmore.

@spotrac

By extending OL Patrick Lewis through 2017 the #Bills saved $771k in 2016. Lewis carries cap hits of $900k/$1.3M.

What exactly does "voidable year" mean ?