Whaley's best draft ever

You would think that after the declaration that our first 3 picks would be day 1 starters, and that being quite less than accurate, we wouldn't be so quick to assume production from an already injured rookie.

If Tyrod or Shady or Sammy were hurt for a few games, which sentence would be most correct:

1. "Starting WR Sammy Watkins is sidelined a few games..." Or...

2. "Backup WR Sammy Watkins is sidelined a few games..."

They were starters, and remain starters, and as soon as they return,, they will return as starters.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tyrod or Shady or Sammy were hurt for a few games, which sentence would be most correct:

1. "Starting WR Sammy Watkins is sidelined a few games..." Or...

2. "Backup WR Sammy Watkins is sidelined a few games..."

They were starters, and remain starters, and as soon as they return,, they will return as starters.

All 3 of those players have started games in the NFL. For the Bills specifically. Ragland and Shaq haven't.

Pick a comparison that applies. Like when Clowney missed a whole bunch of time as a rookie did they call him a starter sidelined? No.

Edited by FireChan

All 3 of those players have started games in the NFL. For the Bills specifically. Ragland and Shaq haven't.

Pick a comparison that applies. Like when Clowney missed a whole bunch of time as a rookie did they call him a starter sidelined? No.

Clowney was coming off an injury as a senior in college, was an injury risk immediately and his big knock was they didn't know if he could or would play all the time. I don't even think they announced him as a starter like Rex did even though it is assumed that a top pick would be anyway. He was the worst example you could use.

Clowney was coming off an injury as a senior in college, was an injury risk immediately and his big knock was they didn't know if he could or would play all the time. I don't even think they announced him as a starter like Rex did even though it is assumed that a top pick would be anyway. He was the worst example you could use.

Shaq had an injury, was an injury risk of needing surgery, and we know now he couldn't play at the time. Not very different.

Calling Shaq a "starter" at this juncture seems premature. Maybe potential starter makes more sense. Just like Clowney as a rook.

Shaq had an injury, was an injury risk of needing surgery, and we know now he couldn't play at the time. Not very different.

Calling Shaq a "starter" at this juncture seems premature. Maybe potential starter makes more sense. Just like Clowney as a rook.

Shaq could have and would have started this year game one even after his injury. They chose not to. He could have played the entire season the same way he played his entire college career.

I'll believe it when I see it. So far he's 0 for 1 vs a tracking dummy. Who knows how good he is yet. Manny Lawson is proven and was a former 1st rounder pick too and they have Biermann and Alexander as well. Shaq might be good eventually but who's to say he's any better than what we already have when he didn't even make it to training camp

Well who are you to say he won't play and won't be awesome? It's just your negative opinion. Edited by PromoTheRobot

For better or worse, the GM and HC disagree. And that's the point.

The same two who believed he would be a day one starter.

Are we allowed to form opinions that clash with the FO or do we kowtow to their collective below .500 record?

Shaq could have and would have started this year game one even after his injury. They chose not to. He could have played the entire season the same way he played his entire college career.

He would've but he chose not to. Okay. So he didn't. So he wasn't a day one starter.

The same two who believed he would be a day one starter.

Are we allowed to form opinions that clash with the FO or do we kowtow to their collective below .500 record?

He would've but he chose not to. Okay. So he didn't. So he wasn't a day one starter.

The team chose, not him. You equated the injuries but they weren't the same. Shaq was named starter and would have been the starter even after his injury. That's why he was and is and still should be called a starter. The team decided why not get this over with now, we will play a temporary replacement/backup, Manny Lawson, in his place until 6-8 games in when the starter returns.

I like Whaley but seriously the top two guys are hurt, 4 is a project and 5 is a drunk driver. 3rd rounder better turn into Deacon Jones I guess.

And 6?

And slow eyes. He should have seen his injury coming a split second before it did and then avoided it.

You know, everyone likes to make fun of the "slow eyes" critique label, but if memory serves me correct, that was what that one analyst labeled Geno Smith, and I seem to remember a bunch of people criticizing that analysts opinion. At the end of the day, he was proven correct.

The team chose, not him. You equated the injuries but they weren't the same. Shaq was named starter and would have been the starter even after his injury. That's why he was and is and still should be called a starter. The team decided why not get this over with now, we will play a temporary replacement/backup, Manny Lawson, in his place until 6-8 games in when the starter returns.

He has never started a game in the NFL. He has never even practiced in pads in the NFL. For all we know, he might've not won the job from Manny Lawson in camp. It's premature.

Edited by FireChan

For all we know, he might've not won the job from Manny Lawson in camp. It's premature.

That's just wrong, which is what you're good at. The job was his, not Manny's. He would have lined up as the starter in practice day one and remained there for some time. If Manny were to beat him out over the course of training camp, which is unlikely but possible, then and only then would Manny have been the starter and Shaq not been the starter. Edited by Kelly the Dog

That's just wrong, which is what you're good at. The job was his, not Manny's. He would have lined up as the starter in practice day one and remained there for some time. If Manny were to beat him out over the course of training camp, which is unlikely but possible, then and only then would Manny have been the starter and Shaq not been the starter.

Or if he got hurt. In which Manny is the starter and Shaq is not playing.

Does practicing with the ones make you a starter or does starting games?

Edited by FireChan

Manny is the temporary, fill-in starter. I'm done with this. The team, HC, defensive coaches, and GM, consider him the starter. FireChan doesn't. That's what this comes down to.

Erik Striker practiced with the 1's last week, KtD considers him a starter.

It is why he slipped so far and probably would have slipped further had he not been selected by the Bills.

Truer words were never spoken. In the entire history of the world there has never been a player who if not selected where he was wouldn't have fallen in the draft. I challenge you, collectively, to prove me wrong.

tough group on this board... 16 years of suck will do that I guess.

sorry , but I am jazzed when all 7-8 picks are getting solid looks and look like NFL players already. Shaq is money in the bank, and RR was with the 1's after 2 weeks of camp. So we should bag the "they're injured" garbage. that has little impact on this discussion... sure we need to see them, blah blah, but they are likely $$ and we have them for 4-5 years. picks 3 and 6 will be on the field week 1 for crying out loud and look like they could be real contributors by y/e . 4 shows well for a 20 yr old and will be your #2 QB next year, ahead of EJ who will be gone. just sayin' .. flame all you want, but Whaley and team know what they are doing from FA to draft IMHO. and Rex gets all the credit for getting TT.

but again, 16 years of suck will send most to the exits, I get it (including me... )

gosh I am in the "optimistic" stage of the year or what.. .. help me

more flaming please to bring me back to the "we'll get em next year" phase

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore