Worried about our ILBs in coverage?

Cover 1

I love the concept and as always, nice work TurnerE. But regardless of ways to protect LBs in coverage, they have to be able to excel at drops, depths, angles, etc. Better athletes are just more desirable and I have concerns about Spikes' ability in that regard. P Brown less so, but he isn't the most gifted from an athletic point of view, either. I suspect both can compensate with their football smarts and experience, especially Brown. And Spikes has never been in this kind of physical shape, too, so there's reason to believe he won't be as much a liability as he was two years ago.

GO BILLS!!!

I love the concept and as always, nice work TurnerE. But regardless of ways to protect LBs in coverage, they have to be able to excel at drops, depths, angles, etc. Better athletes are just more desirable and I have concerns about Spikes' ability in that regard. P Brown less so, but he isn't the most gifted from an athletic point of view, either. I suspect both can compensate with their football smarts and experience, especially Brown. And Spikes has never been in this kind of physical shape, too, so there's reason to believe he won't be as much a liability as he was two years ago.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah Spikes is limited in the coverage department but when he was w us in 2014 albeit a different def he wasn't that bad in coverage. Schwartz used a lot of zone matching where the ILBs were asked to play RAT type coverage. In '14 Spikes was targeted 21 times allowed 14 recs for 134 yds o TDs o Ints 1 PD. His problem is that he allowed 84 YAC.. 2013 targeted 27x, 18 recs for 191 yds, 109 YAC..It will all come down to gameplanning, Rex has to matchup well on paper prior to games imo.

Edited by TurnerE

We'll see. If Spikes can trim down, can he improve in coverage. Against the run he is a thumper. He was a big reason why we dramatically improved against the run, is those run heavy teams will have to rely more on the pass.

Turner, thanks for sharing. I love when guys like yourself add some of these clips to really help educate us. It is appreciated.

We'll see. If Spikes can trim down, can he improve in coverage. Against the run he is a thumper. He was a big reason why we dramatically improved against the run, is those run heavy teams will have to rely more on the pass.

Turner, thanks for sharing. I love when guys like yourself add some of these clips to really help educate us. It is appreciated.

No problem! Just trying to show people that the game isn't just decided by one player, play, coach, etc. A lot goes into this game, trying to open people's eyes to other angles that's all!

Spikes is no more a liability in coverage than keuchly or numerous other iLB's. Most often they're too aggressive and do not have the timing down to avoid PI. Keuchly has this issue; the kid in Denver has great timing but is also a very good ILB.

If we want to mask Spikes' weaknesses we need to play cover 2 or cover 4. Cover 0 will go a long way. The rat defense is a trendy hip spin on basics of D. Float your ilb in a drop back zone between the tackles. Funnel to the outside. Teams have got so poor at mlb that they often completely fail stopping the middle.

Meh scatterbrain reply but there needs to be a lot more than hypothetical with Rex Ryan. He's not proved to me he can coach up anyone

GO BILLS!!!

good post K-9, every bit

No need to worry. Zach Brown runs faster than most WR's and definitely faster than almost all TE's and RB's. Problem is hes not very big so they will probably sub Spikes in for goal line and running downs

as long as they straighten out getting packages in !!

We have the players