(OT) 25 years ago today

Like A Mofo

I do have 1 story though:

I interned with the NJ Devils in 1996 in their PR department, and each of us were assigned to assist one of the players for autograph signings...I was assigned to Neal Broten who was in the 80 USA Olympic Team...and I asked him "Neal, was it just as thrilling, to win a Stanley Cup as it was to win the Gold medal?" and without hesitation Broten said "Not even close, nothing in my life will ever come close to winning that Gold medal"

That always stuck with me.

I cry just watching Miracle.  I'm getting chills just thinking about that game right now.

248202[/snapback]

The first time I saw the movie it was in the theatre, and during the Olympic sequence versus the Russians I noticed I was crushing my box of snowcaps. I thought to myself "relax dumb@ss you know what's going to happen"

I was in Lake Placid that day and had tickets to the Czech/Canada game directly before the US/USSR match. We tried to stay in the arena but got booted. I knew a guy that was working Security and he invited us to the American Legion for 25 cent beers to watch the game. It was on live from the Canadian feed. After the game, the streets were wild with chants of USA, USA and just generally partying and carrying on. Quite a night.

The first time I saw the movie it was in the theatre, and during the Olympic sequence versus the Russians I noticed I was crushing my box of snowcaps. I thought to myself "relax dumb@ss you know what's going to happen"

248211[/snapback]

I felt the same way. But you know, no matter how many times you watch it, it's as thrilling and as unbelievable as it was the first time. I'm always waiting for Tikhonov to leave Tretiak in the game and have him stonewall the Americans while Mikhailov busts loose at the other end for the winning score. Fortunately it never seems to happen.

I was in Lake Placid durring the Olympics and my Dad and I tried to get tickets for that game, but they were going for over $500 a pop. Instead we went out and celebrated with everyone in town after the win. People were going nuts! It was a great experience.

248211[/snapback]

No one who is old enough wilL EVER forget how the Russians, commie pinko bastards that they were, used to cheat and put pros on their Olympic teams.

That Soviet team beat the snizzit out of NHL squads, IIRC. To have a bunch of kids beat them was a MAJOR accomplishment.

F the Russians and all their Commie buddies. Next up: China.

The most amazing thing about it was back then it wasn't even on live TV.  I recall watching the tape delay arounf 10:00 at night or so.

248530[/snapback]

Which is why I got no real thrill out if. That, and not being a hockey fan (and if you saw me watch the Amerks play, I was strictly there for the beer), made the victory less than exciting for me.

And I'm still trying to figure out why everyone likes the movie "Miracles." Like I'm sure the coach was watching 40 guys skate around for an hour, turn to an assistant and hand him a piece of paper and say "Here's your roster." And then take a bunch of guys he evaluated for an hour and has them bring home an Olympic gold medal. Yep...that's the way it happened, for sure. :w00t:

And I'm still trying to figure out why everyone likes the movie "Miracles." Like I'm sure the coach was watching 40 guys skate around for an hour, turn to an assistant and hand him a piece of paper and say "Here's your roster." And then take a bunch of guys he evaluated for an hour and has them bring home an gold medal. Yep...that's the way it happened, for sure. :w00t:

248569[/snapback]

First off, the movie is called "Miracle." Stop drinking the tap water. ;)

Brooks had been evaluating the players he wanted for years - to him the "tryouts" were a formality and he was going to take the players he had preselected no matter what the committee wanted. His way or no way.

I was 12 years old and remember it well.

On a side note?

Lake placid wasn't the first choice to host the winter games that year? Is that correct? Some other city backed out right? What was that city?

I might not be correct but, I heard that somewhere.

LP, being such a small venue has got to be great to host the games. You probably never see a games in such a small venue again! Quite a shame!

Then again, LP is on the back up list in a pinch!

???

First off, the movie is called "Miracle."  Stop drinking the tap water.  :w00t:

248584[/snapback]

Okay, I stand corrected, assshole. Still was a lame movie. Take Disney out of the equation, give it more of a "Rollerball" feel and it would have been better.

By the way...while we're at it, which one is correct:

(a) Presidents Day

(b) President's Day

© Presidents' Day

???

Okay, I stand corrected, assshole. Still was a lame movie. Take Disney out of the equation, give it more of a "Rollerball" feel and it would have been better.

By the way...while we're at it, which one is correct:

(a) Presidents Day

(b) President's Day

© Presidents' Day

???

248608[/snapback]

B.

My wife is using the movie to teach her kids about leadership/followership. The kids are eating it up.