(OT) 25 years ago today

Like A Mofo

The most amazing thing about it was back then it wasn't even on live TV.  I recall watching the tape delay arounf 10:00 at night or so.

248530[/snapback]

Ahh, but that was the beauty of living in Buffao, and seeing the live Canadian feed.

B.

My wife is using the movie to teach her kids about leadership/followership.  The kids are eating it up.

248612[/snapback]

I can see where you would use that movie to teach a kid something.

By the way, it's actually (d) It depends on which state you reside in as it was originally Washington's Birthday, and in all but a dozen states remains Washington's birthday.

You'd have to go back to '68 when this was something of an issue for Congress, since they were trying to get Washington's Birthday stuck on Mondays so as to not break up a work week. That lead to naming it Presidents Day, but many in Congress opposed that because they didn't want to put old George in with, say, ohhh, Chester A. Arthur.

Just a little known fact there, Normie Boy. Though I suspect Tom will come in with some juicy tidbit I misrepresented. :w00t:

I can see where you would use that movie to teach a kid something.

By the way, it's actually (d) It depends on which state you reside in as it was originally Washington's Birthday, and in all but a dozen states remains Washington's birthday.

You'd have to go back to '68 when this was something of an issue for Congress, since they were trying to get Washington's Birthday stuck on Mondays so as to not break up a work week. That lead to naming it Presidents Day, but many in Congress opposed that because they didn't want to put old George in with, say, ohhh, Chester A. Arthur.

Just a little known fact there, Normie Boy. Though I suspect Tom will come in with some juicy tidbit I misrepresented. :w00t:

248646[/snapback]

I was only looking at it as a grammatical exercise. The apostrophe giving possession and all that...

Dork.

An abbreviated version of the game was on ESPN the other day. I was on the edge of the couch during the last 10 minutes. Truly one of the greatest sporting accomplishments of all time and maybe the greatest calls of all by Al Michaels.....

"Do you believe in Miracles...."

I was 8 years old. I remember coming home from school and not being able to wait for the game to start. I watched it live on CBC at 4:30pm and then watched it on ABC later that night. Had to beg the babysitter to let me stay up and watch the game again on ABC even though I had already seen it. Can you believe that ABC didn't even show the game live? Unreal. Was hooked on hockey from that day on until this past week.

I was ten years old and didn't see it live, as I was living here in Rochester. My best friend heard about it before I did and called me after dinner (or whenever it was that the game ended) screaming "We beat the Russians! We beat the Russians!" I had another friend who was at the Amerks game that night when they announced the score. Apparently half the crowd left immediately to go watch the ABC broadcast. :w00t:

A day or so later I went to an "Amerks Pizza Party" that was held in the old McCurdy's at Midtown. I sat between the veteran Ron Garwasiuk and a 19-year-old kid named Geordie Robertson. I had the best damn seat in the place, between two Amerks Hall of Famers. Dave "The Hammer" Schultz was there too, Bobby Mongrain, Daryl Drader, Chris Halyk, Joe Kowal, on and on. The heroes of my youth.

I asked Garwasiuk -- and pay attention to the pronouns -- "Do you think we can beat Finland?" To which he replied, "Well, if they beat the Russians, they'd better beat Finland." It didn't occur to me until much later that Garby was Canadian and probably didn't give a rat's ass. ;)