Big Fat Rob Ryan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know how well Rob performed with the roster he had. Yardage totals by themselves tell us little and I don't know these squads well enough to judge if he maximized their potential.

As a fan without inside knowledge, I look at like this: Rob doesn't have a great track record as a DC so I wouldn't want him as our DC.

Yet he keeps getting DC gigs so the insiders who hire him must see something good in him. So I hope Rex finds a way to put his brother's strengths to productive work while avoiding his weaknesses.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'm a NFL head coach. I'm a college grad and have an above average IQ. More importantly, I have 20+ successful years coaching in the NFL. I've been promoted multiple times until I got the HC gig because I excelled at my previous positions. I attend coaching seminars in the off-season to perfect my craft. I break-down game tape all year long, not just to understand my opponents, but to learn what the best OCs and DCs are doing schematically. This is my profession and I'm dedicated to mastering it.

And now I have a DC opening and - gosh wolly gee whiz! - I'm going to hire Rob Ryan because he's Rex's brother and Buddy's son so he must be good! Right?

C'mon folks. NFL coaches aren't like the characters in Dumb and Dumber. They don't hire DC's because of their last names.

Edited by hondo in seattle

The numbers confirm what people know. He had one good year in Oakland, a good final year in Cleveland and good first years in Dallas and New Orleans.

He has never produced consistently good defenses anywhere.

But hey.... he knows he is great.

thats not the perception...it's he's horrible and he's actually not

Wrong you need to look at everything if you want to be educated correctly.

Exactly - "Points are key" is completely wrong.Plenty of times a top notch defense has suffered from short field after short field from 3 and outs and turnovers made by their putrid offense.In a case such as that points given up is a nearly meaningless stat.

"Big Fat Rob Ryan" sounds a little mean spirited to me. The guy has a weight problem. He's not alone in this country. But I don't think that his weight has anything to do with his ability as a defensive coordinator.