SI: Top Remaining FA's. Any of interest to Bills?

JPL7

I know our cap space isn't big and Fitz wants to start but this is a great year to grab him on a one-year deal as security.

What kind of security ? Will he work the gates or front office ?

In on bolden/freeney.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

That's where I think I fall as well.

And as vested veteran his salary is guaranteed for the season once they sign him.

I'd prefer a guy like Biermann, who I think is a better fit for Rex's scheme. He sets the edge well, was 7th in edge run defenders last year, and would be good depth once Lawson comes back. They have had him in for a visit so they've seen him. He'd also come quite a bit cheaper than Freeney. Even before the drafting Lawson I thought he might be a nice scrap-heap type FA pick up.

Isn't it once he makes the 53 not once signed?

So much depends on what the FA vets are looking for. Who's chasing a ring, who's looking for a last chunk of cash and who's looking to prove something for another contract.

WRT Freeney I think he's in the first category. $96.6M in career earnings and coming off a cheap, incentivized, one year deal with the Cards. He earned $1.2M total last season. He might come to Buffalo for something like his previous 2 year, $9.3M contract with SD, but do we want him for $4M-$5M for a season?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/dwight-freeney/cash-earnings/

I'll add some similar info on other players as I find it.

Boldin is coming off a 3 year stint with SF where he was making $6M per season. He's made $62M in his career. I'm not sure if he's looking for a payday or a ring. This is probably his last contract though.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/anquan-boldin/cash-earnings/

Edited by BarleyNY

Louis Vasquez is interesting. Still only 29, productive in his career and not that expensive. Coming off a 3 year, $18M contract with $21M in career earnings he'd be affordable. He'd certainly fit better in Roman's power scheme than he did in Denver's ZBS. The big question is whether or not the Bills want to invest in a guard.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/louis-vasquez/cash-earnings/

Kevin Williams is 35, but he can still help a team and the Bills could sure use help at NT. He has $54M in career earnings and is coming off two 1 year deals worth $2M and $1.5M, respectively - the last of which was with the Saints. He would be a good fit as a rotational NT and looks like he'd sign a relatively modest contract with a team that isn't looked at as a playoff lock. I'd be happy to have him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/kevin-williams/cash-earnings/

Isn't it once he makes the 53 not once signed?

Probably should have been more specific with that, but yes you are correct, it's if he's on the Week 1 roster. If they signed Freeney I'm assuming he starts in replace of Lawson. Of course they could bring him in for camp and cut him.

Probably should have been more specific with that, but yes you are correct, it's if he's on the Week 1 roster. If they signed Freeney I'm assuming he starts in replace of Lawson. Of course they could bring him in for camp and cut him.

Bring him to camp with a signing bonus equivalent to a one game check, cut him before week 1 on final cuts and bring him back week 2. If he earns his money week to week he stays.

Bring him to camp with a signing bonus equivalent to a one game check, cut him before week 1 on final cuts and bring him back week 2. If he earns his money week to week he stays.

I don't think Freeney signs that contract. He's already said he wants to go to a winner.

And as already mentioned, I don't feel like he fits the scheme.

I dont think Freeney falls under that catagory

He actually would be a big help to Shaq even when he does come back....a rotation for a rookie getting his feet under him would be nice

agreed

That's where I think I fall as well.

And as vested veteran his salary is guaranteed for the season once they sign him.

I'd prefer a guy like Biermann, who I think is a better fit for Rex's scheme. He sets the edge well, was 7th in edge run defenders last year, and would be good depth once Lawson comes back. They have had him in for a visit so they've seen him. He'd also come quite a bit cheaper than Freeney. Even before the drafting Lawson I thought he might be a nice scrap-heap type FA pick up.

I really thought Bills would have landed Biermann.

And i agree he is probably a better fit when giving it more thought !

I don't think Freeney signs that contract. He's already said he wants to go to a winner.

And as already mentioned, I don't feel like he fits the scheme.

Technically, over the last two years, the Bills are a "winning" franchise...technically. But I know what you mean, and also don't think Freeney is the best choice at this point in his career. I'd go for the value pick in Biermann.

As for the rest: Vazquez is an interesting option, and wouldn't mind Danny Lansanah -- although i may be suckered by his cool Freddie-esque path to the league. They have a decent amount of cap room now (10m breathing room at least), so unless they craft Gilmore's contract to up the hit this year for relief in upcoming years, I'd love to see them bring in 3 or 4 players with either decent upside, or coming off years that could have been aberrations.

That being said, I wouldn't be averse to bringing Jahri Evans in, unless he's in full Fitz-mode and is hinting retirement unless he gets a large contract.

Technically, over the last two years, the Bills are a "winning" franchise...technically. But I know what you mean, and also don't think Freeney is the best choice at this point in his career. I'd go for the value pick in Biermann.

As for the rest: Vazquez is an interesting option, and wouldn't mind Danny Lansanah -- although i may be suckered by his cool Freddie-esque path to the league. They have a decent amount of cap room now (10m breathing room at least), so unless they craft Gilmore's contract to up the hit this year for relief in upcoming years, I'd love to see them bring in 3 or 4 players with either decent upside, or coming off years that could have been aberrations.

That being said, I wouldn't be averse to bringing Jahri Evans in, unless he's in full Fitz-mode and is hinting retirement unless he gets a large contract.

Yeah give me Evans or even Vazquez. There is no excuse for going into the season without a plan in case Miller turns into a Colin Brown and defenses start using spread fronts to cut him from the herd the way they did poor Colin. That would put a lot of pressure on whoever the RT is as well.

Biermann would have to be dirty cheap but I'd take him. He is the kind of player that Rex could make more useful than his individual ability dictates. My preference would be Calvin Pace......he was actually quite good last year and he plays the D right. I'd like to see Manny inside more this year. It's a hard sell saying that Reggie Ragnuts can handle the middle as a rookie whose intelligence has been questioned when a seemingly smart, coaches son young vet like Preston Brown struggled mightily with it.

Yeah give me Evans or even Vazquez. There is no excuse for going into the season without a plan in case Miller turns into a Colin Brown and defenses start using spread fronts to cut him from the herd the way they did poor Colin. That would put a lot of pressure on whoever the RT is as well.

Biermann would have to be dirty cheap but I'd take him. He is the kind of player that Rex could make more useful than his individual ability dictates. My preference would be Calvin Pace......he was actually quite good last year and he plays the D right. I'd like to see Manny inside more this year. It's a hard sell saying that Reggie Ragnuts can handle the middle as a rookie whose intelligence has been questioned when a seemingly smart, coaches son young vet like Preston Brown struggled mightily with it.

Bado man u are gonna be eating dirt if Reggie Ragland comes in and dominates....:)

You have been bagging on him so much.