Prince Has Died Per TMZ - R. I. P.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forgive me for not reading through this entire thread, but I'm curious: am I the only one who doesn't get why pretty much everyone is making a big deal out of Prince's death?

nope. the guy was a great guitarist and musician. 10 years ago, who remembered prince was around other than his stuff in the 80's etc. then we forgot about him, then it became cool to be old school and like the old stuff.d

its pop culture. it's lame to still like 5 seconds of summer now, it was lame to like linkin park 5 years ago, it was lame to like n*sync 10 years ago... now it's cool to like the throw back stuff as they call it. hell, on the local pop station here which I dread listening to they mix in a lot of that stuff, like Bobby Brown, old Ice Cube, Paula Abdul, etc. They may play Guns N Roses Paradise city after Taylor Swift and before the latest piece of **** music.

prince was a talented artist, yes. but it's only cool to be pop culture now and act like it was the greatest thing...ever... to celebrate him. a week ago the average person couldn't probably tell you if he was alive or dead and name 5 songs. now, he's one of their most favorite artists.

Yes you are.

no, he's not.

Other than Bowie, name another performer who died this year who generated this kind of memorial response? The reason for the attention is that it was earned & deserved.

i wish merle did. but to some, he did. some men don't like "artists" who dress with feathered scarves and hot pink leather pants with a purple belt and high heels.

Prince wasn't a flash in the pan, or has -been. He has been touring and performing to large numbers of people, worldwide, pretty much continuously since he first reached the masses. Merle Haggard was great, but nowhere near the level of success of Prince. To some, Haggard may be a more important figure, but worldwide, Prince leaves him in the dust.

If you don't dig Prince, step aside, why **** on people that liked him? No one here **** all over Merle Haggard when he died.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Prince wasn't a flash in the pan, or has -been. He has been touring and performing to large numbers of people, worldwide, pretty much continuously since he first reached the masses. Merle Haggard was great, but nowhere near the level of success of Prince. To some, Haggard may be a more important figure, but worldwide, Prince leaves him in the dust.

If you don't dig Prince, step aside, why **** on people that liked him? No one here **** all over Merle Haggard when he died.

not shitting on prince at all, just supporting that not everyone is awestruck that prince died. he was a talented man who contributed a lot to music. there are many, many genres out there that have a following. merle was not the biggest country artist out there, but its just as similar to who heard or cared about him a week prior to his death.

prince was a lot like michael jackson or robin williams. very talented individuals, but their light had dimmed and they were mostly forgotten at the point of their passing.

i expect this will happen when Willie, Mick or Neil Young die, too. And, most can't name 5 songs of all 3 of those artists.

Willie:

Angel Flying Too Close To the Ground

Red Headed Stranger

Time Of The Preacher

Pancho & Lefty

Area Codes

Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Neil

Birds

Old Man

Call Me Maybe

Southern Man

Only Love Can Break Your Heart

Tell Me Why

Mick

Friends In Low Places

As Tears Go By

Start Me Up

Satisfaction

Can't Always Get What You Want

Wild Horses

Edited by Boyst62

nope. the guy was a great guitarist and musician. 10 years ago, who remembered prince was around other than his stuff in the 80's etc. then we forgot about him, then it became cool to be old school and like the old stuff.d

its pop culture. it's lame to still like 5 seconds of summer now, it was lame to like linkin park 5 years ago, it was lame to like n*sync 10 years ago... now it's cool to like the throw back stuff as they call it. hell, on the local pop station here which I dread listening to they mix in a lot of that stuff, like Bobby Brown, old Ice Cube, Paula Abdul, etc. They may play Guns N Roses Paradise city after Taylor Swift and before the latest piece of **** music.

prince was a talented artist, yes. but it's only cool to be pop culture now and act like it was the greatest thing...ever... to celebrate him. a week ago the average person couldn't probably tell you if he was alive or dead and name 5 songs. now, he's one of their most favorite artists.

no, he's not.

i wish merle did. but to some, he did. some men don't like "artists" who dress with feathered scarves and hot pink leather pants with a purple belt and high heels.

Of course you wouldn't think so. Shocking! Not your cup of tea? Whatever!

Of course you wouldn't think so. Shocking! Not your cup of tea? Whatever!

well, you said he was the only one.

you play the role of bitter contrarian so well. Your avatar should be Brian Griffin. He reminds me of you. I bet you're fluffy and play fetch, too.

What a sickening post. Simply clueless comments but it is an opinion board.

well, you said he was the only one.

you play the role of bitter contrarian so well. Your avatar should be Brian Griffin. He reminds me of you. I bet you're fluffy and play fetch, too.

You are a funny little man.

Get used to it if you already haven't.

how is it not true?

in 6 months how many people will spend a second of their week thinking about Prince? In a year when watching an award show most people will watch the In Memorium and think ... oh yeah, prince died this year.

pop culture has a 15 minute spot light for most, but not all. Prince superseded that and lasted a very long time. but after the light starts to dim and once the true light of life is out, that 15 minute spot light reignites shines on for 5 more minutes.

it happened to michael jackson, bb king, and rich cronin.

Edited by Boyst62

prince was a lot like michael jackson or robin williams. very talented individuals, but their light had dimmed and they were mostly forgotten at the point of their passing.

Mostly forgotten?

I think you're confusing your own poor memory for that of the culture. Both of those guys were giants not just in their respected industries but within pop culture itself. Michael Jackson and Robin Williams were mostly forgotten?

Well, at least it's not just your football takes these days that are suffering. Good grief.

I don't know what rock you live under, but Prince was still prominent (so is Neil Young) in the culture around me. I live in LA, and 5 years ago he did a 21 night residency at the LA Forum. It was a huge deal. He wasn't Flock of Seagulls.

It's gonna be a long time before most people won't be able to name 3 songs by Mick.

Especially considering that he lived in Minneapolis (not LA or NYC), any appearance by Prince in the media was well covered. He was still "relevant".

Greggy and I agree!

Edited by HoF Watkins

I don't know what rock you live under, but Prince was still prominent (so is Neil Young) in the culture around me. I live in LA, and 5 years ago he did a 21 night residency at the LA Forum. It was a huge deal. He wasn't Flock of Seagulls.

It's gonna be a long time before most people won't be able to name 3 songs by Mick.

Especially considering that he lived in Minneapolis (not LA or NYC), any appearance by Prince in the media was well covered. He was still "relevant".

Greggy and I agree!

i said 5, not 3, fwiw.

outside of the hoity toity world, he was not relevant. whether outside of places like topeka, bismark, toledo or savannah, i doubt he was relevant or much more than an afterthought of a musical eta a decade past.

many here are well connected to pop culture by use of the internet and the mere fact that we message on a message board is an outlier to the general public. and many of those live in major cities and those who do not still have a 24 hour news cycle.

there are many, many people in this country who couldn't name the last prince song or album released and would guess the 80's or 90's. i only knew he was still touring from listening to howard stern drone on and on about how seeing him in concert was horrible - which it sounded like it was since it was dimly lit with no real fanfare.

I couldn't name the last album that the Who, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones or Neil Young put out, does that mean they aren't relevant anymore?

i said 5, not 3, fwiw.

outside of the hoity toity world, he was not relevant. whether outside of places like topeka, bismark, toledo or savannah, i doubt he was relevant or much more than an afterthought of a musical eta a decade past.

many here are well connected to pop culture by use of the internet and the mere fact that we message on a message board is an outlier to the general public. and many of those live in major cities and those who do not still have a 24 hour news cycle.

there are many, many people in this country who couldn't name the last prince song or album released and would guess the 80's or 90's. i only knew he was still touring from listening to howard stern drone on and on about how seeing him in concert was horrible - which it sounded like it was since it was dimly lit with no real fanfare.

I couldn't name the last album that the Who, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones or Neil Young put out, does that mean they aren't relevant anymore?

not really. And its sad because those are talented people like prince. But the kardashians. Jenners. And wiz kahlifa are relevant