Difference maker for 2016?

Is there anybody in this draft that you think can be a difference maker that would push the Bills over the edge from 8-8 to 10-6 in the playoffs? I think the difference makers are already on the team. Tyrod, Watkins and McCoy have to play at Pro-bowl level and Hughes has to have at least 12 sacks this year.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anybody in this draft that you think can be a difference maker that would push the Bills over the edge from 8-8 to 10-6 in the playoffs? I think the difference makers are already on the team. Tyrod, Watkins and McCoy have to play at Pro-bowl level and Hughes has to have at least 12 sacks this year.

There are definitely guys in this draft that could have a huge impact, but I don't think Buffalo is in a position to take any of the obvious guys like Jack, Ramsey, or Buckner.

I think the #1 impact that could change this team's fortunes would be a pass rusher, followed closely by a game-changing safety. In terms of the guys they'll be in a position to draft at 19, I'd say the guys closest to fitting that bill are:

Chris Jones

Kevin Dodd

Noah Spence

Karl Joseph

Kamalei Correa

The long and short answer is yes. There are a few players in this draft that could be Pro Bowl players as rookies. However, I would think that most of them will be off the board pretty early.

There are still others that have "high ceilings." The thing with the high ceiling guys available at 19 they have low floors. A guy like Robert Nkemdiche has the physical tools to be a dominant player but takes plays off and has character concerns. in addition, his production hasn't matched his talent. Noah Spence could also be a double digit sack guy but he was kicked out of the Big 10 for his drug problem. There are some receivers that could make a big impact in their 1st year. Can they make that significant of an impact on a team that already employs Sammy Watkins as it's #1?

There are some others but the guys with the ability to make the biggest impact also may end up as the biggest busts. It is a risk/reward situation if you are looking for someone to put you over the top.

Nope. I personally see the Bills tearing the whole thing down after this season and starting from scratch again.

I agree but hopefully it won't be a complete tear down. I hope Whaley drafts defenders that are versatile and will be able to be useful in viable defensive schemes. If so, I think we could turn things around quickly in the post Rex environment. The Jets did.

One spot where I think a difference maker could be had is kicker. I don't claim to know whether Aguayo is the guy like so many seem to think, but someone is out there. They do make a difference and often have long careers. The cool thing about this is that it could happen in a later round. I think Hopkins was a good pick and that he will have a good career. It was a tough break for us that his start was marred by injury. I can't really fault them for keeping Carpenter after that season he had but I would have loved it if they somehow found a way to also keep Hopkins.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Nope. I personally see the Bills tearing the whole thing down after this season and starting from scratch again.

I can't see that happening. In theory, the 2017 Bills will have Dareus, Hughes, McCoy, Gilmore, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Incognito, Clay and possibly Tyrod under contract for multiple years. The players that the Bills have invested in are their best players. The core of the team will remain in tact.

I can't see that happening. In theory, the 2017 Bills will have Dareus, Hughes, McCoy, Gilmore, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Incognito, Clay and possibly Tyrod under contract for multiple years. The players that the Bills have invested in are their best players. The core of the team will remain in tact.

Bolded are the players who could be scapegoated in favor of Rex. Bold and red could be easily scapegoated.

Bolded are the players who could be scapegoated in favor of Rex. Bold and red could be easily scapegoated.

I couldn't disagree more. Dareus is the most certain of all of the players on the team to be back in 2017. Glenn and Gilmore haven't yet signed their extensions but the second that one/both do they are definitely here for 2017. Darby is on a 2nd round rookie deal so he's here. Clay would be $13M in dead cap and McCoy like $8M. They aren't going anywhere. The same goes for Hughes with how thin they are at pass rush.

The core of the team is here for the immediate future (with the possible exception of Tyrod).

You and your scapegoat crusade is always in full force.

Sorry 4mer, but you can't be a scapegoat when you voluntarily decide to quit on your team like MW did. Given the way Dareus performed after the bye and the way Gilmore played before getting hurt, I'd say your prediction that they will be easily scapegoated is far fetched. They both excelled in the scheme.

GO BILLS!!!

You and your scapegoat crusade is always in full force.

Sorry 4mer, but you can't be a scapegoat when you voluntarily decide to quit on your team like MW did. Given the way Dareus performed after the bye and the way Gilmore played before getting hurt, I'd say your prediction that they will be easily scapegoated is far fetched. They both excelled in the scheme.

GO BILLS!!!

Before 2015, the way Mario performed in 2013 and 2014, what would you have said about the odds of him being the villain of 2015? Did he give max effort? It sure doesn't look that way. But Rex asked a mason to put up sheet rock all year. The mason knows that bricks are better and got frustrated. Yes he should still hang the sheet rock but the architect should self examine more.

And they MD and SG not excel in the scheme because the scheme did not excel. It sucked badly......and has for half a decade.....it will almost certainly suck again this year.....and if Rex is to retain his moniker of defensive genius someone will need to shoulder the blame. Brown does not have a big enough name. Kyle is too popular and too close to retirement to get the blame.

Clay McCoy and Glenn were only bolded for if the offense has a rough year and that is really a separate topic.

Before 2015, the way Mario performed in 2013 and 2014, what would you have said about the odds of him being the villain of 2015? Did he give max effort? It sure doesn't look that way. But Rex asked a mason to put up sheet rock all year. The mason knows that bricks are better and got frustrated. Yes he should still hang the sheet rock but the architect should self examine more.

And they MD and SG not excel in the scheme because the scheme did not excel. It sucked badly......and has for half a decade.....it will almost certainly suck again this year.....and if Rex is to retain his moniker of defensive genius someone will need to shoulder the blame. Brown does not have a big enough name. Kyle is too popular and too close to retirement to get the blame.

Clay McCoy and Glenn were only bolded for if the offense has a rough year and that is really a separate topic.

The reality is that ALL of the guys will be back (assuming Gilmore & Glenn get extended). You can't scapegoat someone like Dareus and take on a $32M dead cap hit. It doesn't work that way. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Mario was our best player, period, on the team the moment he signed with us. Just an amazing football player with off the charts athleticism, especially for a man his size.

You and others keep seeking an excuse, a justification, for him to intentionally quit. There is none. No matter how bad the coach is.

I'll say it again:

Rex sucked because he couldn't help it.

Mario sucked on purpose.

The bold text is just an absurd notion. Nobody can excel on a defense that didn't play as well as it did previously?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The reality is that ALL of the guys will be back (assuming Gilmore & Glenn get extended). You can scapegoat someone like Dareus and take on a $32M dead cap hit. It doesn't work that way.

I'm glad too. Because I think Dareus will continue a great career. I think it will be tough for Rex to not shoulder the blame after 2016 if fully pregnant doesn't work. He simply has to own it unlike what happened in 2015. For him to wriggle out he would have to add a name to the list which currently only has Brown on it. Dareus' cap hit will make it harder for him because it is a spot where it will be very difficult to shift the blame.

2016 is really it for Rex. I hope I am completely wrong about him and he is here for 20 more years. One this is for sure...I've been wrong about him once because I loved the hire when it was made.

I was looking at some tape yesterday. I do want a lot of college ball but have never been able to see what makes an NFL player. I thought Shaq Lawson looked very good from the film I saw. He is always near the ball and is incredibly quick on his feet.

The bold text is just an absurd notion. Nobody can excel on a defense that didn't play as well as it did previously?

GO BILLS!!!

Not what I said. I said nobody could excel on a defense that sucked badly. Which it did. Part of that may be due to expectations based on previous results, but part is just plain good old fashioned sucking. And yes I suppose it is possible to excel on something that is bad. Like Steve Carlton on the old Phillies....but those guys weren't that good.

Not what I said. I said nobody could excel on a defense that sucked badly. Which it did. Part of that may be due to expectations based on previous results, but part is just plain good old fashioned sucking. And yes I suppose it is possible to excel on something that is bad. Like Steve Carlton on the old Phillies....but those guys weren't that good.

Darby and Gilmore disagree.

Would we have sucked as bad if Mario decided to contribute?

Given his talent and unique athleticism, he could have been a difference maker. He certainly has the talent to excel in any defense. I imagine that didn't sit well with teammates who were made to look worse because he refused to carry his load.

Rex's biggest failing among his many, was not benching the malcontent. But that would have engendered a different kind of clusterphuck. It's not every day that benching the best player on the team is a good move.

GO BILLS!!!