April Movies: Jungle Book, Huntsman & Everybody Wants Some

Mark Vader

The month of April signals the end of the brief Spring Season of movies. In just a few short weeks the big Summer Season will dominate with their big budget, big effects and big names. Before that happens, we'll have a few more appetizers to tide us over. One movie in particular looks to cash in before all of the explosions that await us.

Disney continues it's trend of turning their animated classics into live action films. This time around it's, "The Jungle Book". The man-cub Mowgli flees the jungle after a threat from the tiger Shere Khan. Guided by Bagheera the panther and the bear Baloo, Mowgli embarks on a journey of self-discovery, though he also meets creatures who don't have his best interests at heart. With the past success of "Maleficent" & "Cinderella", Disney shows no sign of stopping these movies("Beauty & the Beast" is set for next year, and a sequel to "The Jungle Book" has been greenlighted). Starring Neel Sethi and the voices of Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o, Giancarlo Esposito & Christopher Walken. Directed by Jon Favreau.

Chris Hemsworth returns in a sequel that not many were asking for in, "The Huntsman: Winter's War". As a war between rival queen sisters Ravenna and Freya escalates, Eric and fellow warrior Sara, members of the Huntsmen army raised to protect Freya, try to conceal their forbidden love as they combat Ravenna's wicked intentions. Also starring Charlize Theron, Jessica Chastain, Emily Blunt, Sam Claflin & Nick Frost.

Director Richard Linklater brings us, "Everybody Wants Some!!". A group of college baseball players navigate their way through the freedoms and responsibilities of unsupervised adulthood. Starring Blake Jenner, Tyler Hoechlin, Ryan Guzman & Zoey Deutch.

Melissa McCarthy is, "The Boss". A titan of industry is sent to prison after she's caught insider trading. When she emerges ready to rebrand herself as America's latest sweetheart, not everyone she screwed over is so quick to forgive and forget. Also starring Kristen Bell, Peter Dinklage & Ella Anderson.

In "Criminal", In a last-ditch effort to stop a diabolical plot, a dead CIA operative's memories, secrets, and skills are implanted into a death-row inmate in hopes the he will complete the operative's mission. Starring Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Ryan Reynolds, Tommy Lee Jones, Alice Eve & Gal Gadot.

"Hardcore Henry", Is a first-person action film from the eyes of Henry, who's resurrected from death with no memory. He must discover his identity and save his wife from a warlord with a plan to bio-engineer soldiers. Starring Sharlto Copley, Tim Roth & Haley Bennett.

In the animated "Ratchet & Clank", When the galaxy comes under the threat of a nefarious space captain, a mechanic and his newfound robot ally join an elite squad of combatants to save the universe. Starring the voices of James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, Rosario Dawson & Jim Ward.

In "Barbershop: The Next Cut", As their surrounding community has taken a turn for the worse, the crew at Calvin's Barbershop come together to bring some much needed change to their neighborhood. Starring Ice Cube, Regina Hall & Anthony Anderson.

In "Mother's Day", Intersecting stories with different moms collide on Mother's Day. Starring Britt Robertson, Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts & Timothy Olyphant.

Finally in "Keanu", Friends hatch a plot to retrieve a stolen kitten by posing as drug dealers for a street gang. Starring Keegan-Michael Kay, Will Forte, Nia Long & Luis Guzman.

Calendar with Trailers

4/8

"The Boss": http://www.thebossfilm.com/

"Hardcore Henry": http://www.stxmovies.com/hardcorehenry/

4/15

"The Jungle Book": http://movies.disney.com/the-jungle-book-2016

"Criminal": http://www.criminal.movie/

"Everybody Wants Some!!": http://www.everybodywantssomemovie.com/

"Barbershop: The Next Cut": http://barbershopmovie.com/

4/22

"The Huntsman: Winter's War": http://www.thehuntsmanmovie.com/#!/

4/29

"Ratchet & Clank": http://www.ratchetandclankthemovie.com/

"Keanu": http://keanumovie.com/#/

"Mother's Day": http://seemothersday.com/home

That's all for now, until then.....Enjoy!

Heard 3D effects for "The Jungle Book" were top notch and really added to film; I rarely see 3D movies since most special effects distract rather than add to movies but this may be one worth seeing. May go to movies and if it is not adding to it do what I have done before - leave movie and go to another one.

"Hardcore Henry" sounds like a video game wanting to be a movie.

Nothing else worth paying current cost of matinees.

"Keanu" looks to be so vapid, shallow, dull-witted, ill-conceived, unentertaining, and devoid of any conceivable reason for being marketed to the theater-going public that it is perfectly clear why they called the movie "Keanu."

:lol::lol:

I was also considering...

Finally in "Keanu", Friends hatch a plot to retrieve a stolen kitten by posing as drug dealers for a street gang. Starring Keegan-Michael Kay, Will Forte, Nia Long & Luis Guzman.

66577056.jpg

Edited by DC Tom

It's early for this, but the first "official" trailer for Birth of a Nation came out. I've seen it, it's fantastic and will be much talked about come award season.

I heard "Felt" will be more topical since Hillary will be running. After so many racially focused movies, they've lost a lot of impact. What makes this one different?

It's early for this, but the first "official" trailer for Birth of a Nation came out. I've seen it, it's fantastic and will be much talked about come award season.

This is the Nat Turner movie. Interesting that they release a trailer for this when it doesn't come out for another six months.

Looks like it could be very good. I'm also curious as to how Matthew McConaughey's "Free State of Jones" movie will do.

Both movies being about the same era.

I heard "Felt" will be more topical since Hillary will be running. After so many racially focused movies, they've lost a lot of impact. What makes this one different?

I see your point, the recent influx of such movies, could hurt this movie.

However, this is based on historical events.

After so many racially focused movies, they've lost a lot of impact. What makes this one different?

After so many super hero movies, what makes the next 100 different from the last 100? :rolleyes:

This isn't a "racially focused" movie, categorizing it as such is a bit dramatic and kind of disrespectful. It's an important historical event that helped shaped the country into what we see today, and so far it's hardly ever been dramatized on film.

If that's not enough for you, there's the fact that this film broke records at Sundance, selling for $17.5 million -- an unheard of sum for this kind of indie movie.

This is the Nat Turner movie. Interesting that they release a trailer for this when it doesn't come out for another six months.

Looks like it could be very good. I'm also curious as to how Matthew McConaughey's "Free State of Jones" movie will do.

Both movies being about the same era.

I haven't seen Free State of Jones yet but I'm looking forward to it. Birth of Nation is being trotted out now (I assume) because Fox wants to attach it to all their summer movies coming down the pipe. The release will be interesting, I'm guessing that due to it coming out just weeks before the election it will become a talking point in the political blogger sphere -- which will help the movie more than anything.

After so many super hero movies, what makes the next 100 different from the last 100? :rolleyes:

This isn't a "racially focused" movie, categorizing it as such is a bit dramatic and kind of disrespectful. It's an important historical event that helped shaped the country into what we see today, and so far it's hardly ever been dramatized on film.

If that's not enough for you, there's the fact that this film broke records at Sundance, selling for $17.5 million -- an unheard of sum for this kind of indie movie.

I haven't seen Free State of Jones yet but I'm looking forward to it. Birth of Nation is being trotted out now (I assume) because Fox wants to attach it to all their summer movies coming down the pipe. The release will be interesting, I'm guessing that due to it coming out just weeks before the election it will become a talking point in the political blogger sphere -- which will help the movie more than anything.

How did you get the see this film so early?

You still don't know the difference between a movie intended for entertainment vs an "artsy" movie pushing for oscars?

All of these movies that garner attention at film festivals rarely make any real money. Like I said: No one cares. What was the last best picture movie that people paid money to see... gladiator?

Didn't Chris Rock make a joke about all the oscar movies essentially being box office bombs?

I actually like watching historical movies... on Netflix.

Wow, that's an astounding amount that it went for.

This is not the kind of movie you will see attached to any Summer movie. Add in that it's FOX Searchlight, the independent movie branch.