Shelton info from ESPN Insider

JP-era

Here ya go:

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: L.J. Shelton

Position: Offensive Tackle

Grade: 69 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Shelton is a good athlete for his size, he has tremendous upper body strength, he shows a good initial punch, he extends his arms, and when he is locked onto a defender, he can be very effective. At left tackle, he does not have what you are looking for athletically but he can be effective if he can get his hands on the defender, lock on with his long arms, and simply ride the speed rusher past the pocket. However, if you put him on an island and ask him to be an athlete and to handle double moves or great first-step quickness, he is going to be in big trouble as he is simply not very good in space. Because of his size, Shelton can dominate at the point of attack. Will push the pile in the running game, comes off the ball hard and can simply overpower DL to get the job done. He needs to continue to improve his footwork, but he has a good work ethic and will certainly give you good effort. Shelton has been somewhat of a disappointment thus far but he is still young enough to salvage a nice career if he's eventually moved inside to guard.

I guess the write up, which to be fair was 2004 pre-training camp info, raises a red flag to m e. Jennings was rated WAY higher than Shelton by them. Take it for what its worth.

I would not mind tagging ro signing Jennings as a LT and moving this guy to LG. Especially since they mention him at guard.

good thought.  perhaps that is TD's thinking here.  shelton's salary could work at LG, and we franchise JJ.  i like it.

245936[/snapback]

Jennings is not worth a franchise tag. It would be way too much money against the cap.

Getting Shelton on the other hand would be a very good move $3 million per season for a starting left tacke and no signing bonus

good thought.  perhaps that is TD's thinking here.  shelton's salary could work at LG, and we franchise JJ.  i like it.

245936[/snapback]

As much as I love JJ, I think Shelton comes here only if he is a LT. If we were to franchise JJ and trade for JJ, our OL would consume way too much of our cap. Also, Shelton has been a very solid LT in the past and is in his prime. I'm sure McNally (sp?) could get him up to speed in a very short period of time.

As much as I love JJ, he isn't worth $6m+ a year.

I agree JJ is not "worth" a franchise tag, however I feel at this point, the positives of tagging him outweight the negatives of letting him walk. Assuming this TH for shleton deal goes down, tagging JJ secures our OL. Where else do we need to spend money? Besides a possible TE, im not sure we do. I feel that the best team we can put on the field next year is one that overpays JJ and not one that pics up 2 marginal players.

Also a tag gives us the chance to negotiatie long-term with JJ, and gives us the option of getting something in return should we choose to not go forward with him on our team.

Do it TD.

I agree JJ is not "worth" a franchise tag, however I feel at this point, the positives of tagging him outweight the negatives of letting him walk.  Assuming this TH for shleton deal goes down, tagging JJ secures our OL.  Where else do we need to spend money?  Besides a possible TE, im not sure we do.  I feel that the best team we can put on the field next year is one that overpays JJ and not one that pics up 2 marginal players.

Also a tag gives us the chance to negotiatie long-term with JJ, and gives us the option of getting something in return should we choose to not go forward with him on our team.

Do it TD.

245940[/snapback]

The fact that we're looking at Shelton is a pretty clear indication we ain't gonna reach an agreement with JJ, so tagging him with the hopes of working out a deal just isn't realistic. And if it were up to me, I'd rather have Shelton's salary and then also grab a guard like Whale with the extra funds.

The fact that we're looking at Shelton is a pretty clear indication we ain't gonna reach an agreement with JJ, so tagging him with the hopes of working out a deal just isn't realistic.  And if it were up to me, I'd rather have Shelton's salary and then also grab a guard like Whale with the extra funds.

246008[/snapback]

agree with you. The benefits of trading for Shelton, moving him to LG, and then re-signing or tagging Jennings would be:

1) Keeping Jennings who looks to be the best available LT out in FA

2)Getting a former T who can be a stud at G at a 3mill per rate which may be less than some of the stud LG's available in FA.

If TD feels that Shelton is paid the same or more than he could sign a stud LG for, theres no point.

If Shelton is traded for and TD wants him at LT, he would have to believe that he is better than JJ at that spot.

I sure as hell hope he isnt trying to get a cheap deal at LT by getting a 3mill per LT from Shelton where it will cost more to re-sign JJ. That could be a HUGE mistake when we need to count on our LT to save our young QB's backside. This is the most important position on the o-line. I just dont want to take a chance here, theres too much at stake.

Lets remember one thing though, it was SHELTON who setup the visit, NOT the Bills. Re-read the story. Thats a big deal and may mean that Shelton likes the Bills more than the Bills like Shelton!

So let me get this clear, we swap Travis which is a very good player for a 2nd string guy. I thought we wanted a second round draftee. This doesnt even make sense if the Bills are even thinking this, which I'm sure they are not. Must be a sports writers fantasy to encourge the Cardinals to go after Henry.

Here's another write-up on Shelton, transcribed from the 2004 Sporting News War Room Ultimate Pro Football Scouting Guide (before he was benched this year):

41st best OT

6-6 335 Age 28 6th year

Strengths: Is a good athlete for his size with a tremendous upper body. Has good punch, extends his arms. Comes off the ball hard and will push the pile.

Weaknesses: Has mediocre athletic ability. Can be effective if he gets his hands on defenders. Can't handle double moves and struggles in space.

Bottom line: Shelton will start at LT and give a good effort. He has played through injuries and improved the past two seasons. Grade: 6.9

I think he's worth either TH straight-up or maybe our #3...

I would not give them our #2 for him.

I like all these reports that people find but as said previously, they have little meaning without a comparison. As love to see what they say of or grade out Jonas Jennings, Rian Diem or whatever other Offensive Tackle someone wants to compare them to. JP Era was nice enough to compare some OGs to state why he felt would go after Verba in one thread, anyone want to offer some comparisons for Shelton?

I wouldn't trade for him,  period.  He's a $3M backup on a team with a pretty mediocre OL.  No thanks.

246044[/snapback]

We'll need someone to fill the LT spot after JJ leaves. You got any other suggestions or are you implying Price will be our starting LT??

Here ya go:

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: L.J. Shelton

Position: Offensive Tackle

Grade: 69 | Key

Alert: None

245927[/snapback]

Scouts Inc. also has Shelton rated the 51st best OT. JJ is rated 12th and MW is 18th.

UFA Stockar McDougle (Grade 75, 24th rated overall OT) might be tired of losing in Detroit and jump on a Bills' offer for slightly less than JJ. Here's his Scouts Inc. profile:

"McDougle has a massive frame and good overall strength. He comes off the ball quickly with good leverage and is physical at the point of attack. He has good initial pop and when he is locked on, he rarely loses a battle. He is an excellent drive blocker and can wear down defenders over the course of the game. He does an excellent job of finishing blocks and will engulf undersized defenders at the point of attack.

In pass protection, he flashes a quick pass set and does a nice job anchoring with his inside leg to avoid being beat to his inside. At times will play with a nasty streak and his effort is good. However, McDougle lacks great overall athleticism and agility. He has average feet and is a bit of a liability in space. His lateral movement is limited and he will get beat when trying to redirect vs. double moves and as a result will become a waist bender if out of position. His overall technique is not sound, he relies on his size too much and he needs to improve his footwork in order to become a premier pass protector. "

Looks like someone McNally could work with, too.

We'll need someone to fill the LT spot after JJ leaves.  You got any other suggestions or are you implying Price will be our starting LT??

246064[/snapback]

I'm not implying anything. I'm simply stating that the Bills would be making a mistake trading for a $3M a year player who couldn't hold a starting job with the Cardinals.

For the record, I think their best bet is to just pay Jonas Jennings his money and be content with having a good, if somewhat overpaid LT.

Scouts Inc. also has Shelton rated the 51st best OT.  JJ is rated 12th and MW is 18th.

UFA Stockar McDougle (Grade 75, 24th rated overall OT) might be tired of losing in Detroit and jump on a Bills' offer for slightly less than JJ.

246104[/snapback]

Only thing is, he's a RT. He or MW would have to change sides.

I'm not implying anything.  I'm simply stating that the Bills would be making a mistake trading for a $3M a year player who couldn't hold a starting job with the Cardinals. 

For the record,  I think their best bet is to just pay Jonas Jennings his money and be content with having a good,  if somewhat overpaid LT.

246106[/snapback]

Brandon if $3 million is too much for Shelton at LT the specifically how much is JJ worth? $7 million is the franchise tag number and I think this is simply a rediculous figure for a player JJs output or even his potential. I'll actualy ask this as a specific question in a post on this as the specificity brings reality but I will add this as a response to your comment.

Brandon if $3 million is too much for Shelton at LT the specifically how much is JJ worth?  $7 million is the franchise tag number and I think this is simply a rediculous figure for a player JJs output or even his potential.  I'll actualy ask this as a specific question in a post on this as the specificity brings reality but I will add this as a response to your comment.

246143[/snapback]

I never said that the Bills should use the franchise tag on Jennings. However, I do think they should attempt to sign him to a long term contract. I don't think he should be paid like a top 5 NFL OT, but I don't have a problem with paying him $4-5M/yr, which is about what I expect him to ultimately sign for. In any case, the one thing I certainly wouldn't do is trade for someone else's cast-off and try to pass it off as a lateral move at the position.

I never said that the Bills should use the franchise tag on Jennings.  However,  I do think they should attempt to sign him to a long term contract.  I don't think he should be paid like a top 5 NFL OT,  but I don't have a problem with paying him $4-5M/yr,  which is about what I expect him to ultimately sign for.  In any case,  the one thing I certainly wouldn't do is trade for someone else's cast-off and try to pass it off as a lateral move at the position.

246148[/snapback]

Attempt to sign him?? What makes you think we haven't tried? We know he was offered a contract before the season began, and I'll bet we approached his agent after the season. Bottom line, JJ wants too much money and he ain't gonna be a Bill next year, so we've got to look at other options.