Worst draft move for every NFL team since 2011

Buffalo Bills: The Bills traded back from No. 8 to No. 16 to select quarterback EJ Manuel in 2013, but that hardly takes the sting away from the pick. Manuel was projected to be a late first- or second-round pick, and many analysts believed the Bills were "reaching" in selecting him so early. They were right; Manuel has a 6-10 record as the Bills' starter and posted a sub-25.0 Total QBR in seven of those games. Manuel has not been the Bills' full-time starting QB since he was benched for Kyle Orton in Week 5 of the 2014 season. If there is any silver lining to the Bills' trading down for Manuel, it's that the 2013 second-round pick they acquired in the deal was used on linebacker Kiko Alonso, who was later traded to the Eagles for star running back LeSean McCoy. -- Mike Rodak

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160412/worst-nfl-draft-move-all-32-teams-2011

No - the worst move was trading up in the 3rd in 2012 and then passing on Russell Wilson for TJ Graham. Had they got that move right they would never have backed themselves into the corner that ended up with EJ being picked in the first in 2013.

I remember that moment well. I was watching the round 3 of the draft thinking wow, Wilson is still there and we really need a QB, maybe he will last. I was so excited when they announced the trade up. I was sure the only reason to do that was they were afraid he would be gone before their slot. I thought what a smart, ballsy move. Then they announced TJ. I checked out his ratings online and said WTF,WTF!

I will admit it. I wrongly thought EJ was the best QB choice in that draft. But I certainly didn't think any QB was worth a first, or even 2nd round pick that year.

Edited by simpleman

I remember that moment well. I was watching the round 3 of the draft thinking wow, Wilson is still there and we really need a QB, maybe he will last. I was so excited when they announced the trade up. I was sure the only reason to do that was they were afraid he would be gone before their slot. I thought what a smart, ballsy move. Then they announced TJ. I checked out his ratings online and said WTF,WTF!

I will admit it. I wrongly thought EJ was the best QB choice in that draft. But I certainly didn't think any QB was worth a first, or even 2nd round pick that year.

It was a horrible year to draft a QB. The worst year in a longtime. Typical Bills fashion though they cornered themselves in a hole & were determined to draft a QB. At least they traded down for him.

It was a horrible year to draft a QB. The worst year in a longtime. Typical Bills fashion though they cornered themselves in a hole & were determined to draft a QB. At least they traded down for him.

Do the Bills back themselves into a corner in the draft a lot?

Do the Bills back themselves into a corner in the draft a lot?

Not really. But, Nix with his inability to address the QB position, forced the team to take a QB in the first in a draft that was bereft of top QB talent. It was a wasteland like I don't remember seeing.

Most of the time, it seems to me, the Bills simply make bad choices because they fall in love with a certain player or certain type of player.

Not really. But, Nix with his inability to address the QB position, forced the team to take a QB in the first in a draft that was bereft of top QB talent. It was a wasteland like I don't remember seeing.

Most of the time, it seems to me, the Bills simply make bad choices because they fall in love with a certain player or certain type of player.

That there is the truth--passing on both Dalton and Wilson really hurt them. We used to say the same about Foles and Kaepernick, but that's looking less silly now.

Whitner over Ngata, Not trading up for Ben Ro and then trading back into the 1st for JP Losman, Maybin over Orakpo, trading up for TJ Graham, there is a list that we could go through for days that is worse than trading back and taking EJ.

TJ for sure. We're talking about adding a QB after TT had a pretty good year. We weren't considering it and we had pickspatrick. How did the bills have such terrible talent evaluators?

Actually the Bills were considering it but Nix thought Russell could have been had a round later.

Actually the Bills were considering it but Nix thought Russell could have been had a round later.

So said in retrospect. If true, if he really believed that (& I think he misunderstood the art of drafting a QB like no other GM), it shows how clueless he was about being an NFL GM.

I think Chan wanted the speed receiver too. Chan was wedded to Fitz - he was trying to put pieces around Fitz and it was a common consensus at the time that what the Bills lacked was someone to "take the top off the defense" even though a lot of us knew Fitz didn't have the arm to use such a player anyway.

@NFL_CFB

2013 #NFLDraft Do-Over 1. #Chiefs: Hopkins 3. #Dolphins: Bell 9. #Jets: Collins FULL: http://on.nfl.com/1MuKPdU

Cf84i9PXIAA94be.jpg

16. BUFFALO BILLS

Pick: EJ Manuel

Do-over: D.J. Fluker

There aren't any defensive line or linebacker fits for the Bills available here, so they attempt to strengthen the offensive line with Fluker, who can play tackle or guard.

EJ still is the best QB in that draft who in that draft would you rather of had. I was saying trade back again when they took him at 18, figured either he or Gino would have still been available, unless you liked him a lot better than Gino.

EJ still is the best QB in that draft who in that draft would you rather of had.

There seems to be a little Mike Glennon fan club on this board so they probably think him. Personally he might be just ahead of EJ on what they have shown in the NFL but as I explained yesterday it really is a minimal difference.

I thought EJ was the right shot to take if you had to take one and I still think that even though he has been a bust. All the QBs from that class who have played are busts - Geno and Barkley even more so than EJ. The key was not getting yourself in a position where you needed to reach for a QB in an all-time bad class.

Edited by GunnerBill

EJ still is the best QB in that draft who in that draft would you rather of had. I was saying trade back again when they took him at 18, figured either he or Gino would have still been available, unless you liked him a lot better than Gino.

Don't get me wrong. I still think he was the best choice. As Gunner said, he was the best choice and even he turned out to be a bust.That year I felt no QB was worth that big a gamble in the first two rounds. He was just the best of the worst rookie QB talent pool in decades.

Personally, beyond the first two QB choices this year I feel the rest are about as big a gamble as EJ was that year. I would take none of them until late 3rd and would be pleasantly surprised if any of them turned out much better than EJ. But that is what latter rounds are usually good for, taking those big gambles.

Edited by simpleman

No - the worst move was trading up in the 3rd in 2012 and then passing on Russell Wilson for TJ Graham. Had they got that move right they would never have backed themselves into the corner that ended up with EJ being picked in the first in 2013.

YES, got that right!