The Bills should consider trading for QB Mike Glennon.

I would think that he is better insurance than EJ and if a 2017 3rd rd pick could get this done than I for one would be all for it. To me EJ is just about useless but if a trade were made then I'd keep him as a 3rd stringer simply because he should know the system pretty good by now. I'm not confident in Tyrod staying healthy all year and I don't want to count on EJ again (*see 2015 Jacksonville/London game). If Tyrod goes down Glennon would be good insurance, has been in the league a few years now and has a cheap contract this year (675,000.00).

I'd still would be willing to draft a mid rd QB this year and this would be able to let him sit and learn. Worse case scenario if something drastic would happen to Taylor then Glennon could be slapped with a transition tag. If Taylor stays healthy and plays well then we have our franchise QB and this year's drafted QB, whoever that may be, would step in as the #2 QB and there will be no need for Glennon or Manuel.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want our offensive coaching staff focused on opening the playbook, coaching up TT and EJ plus a draft choice and winning more games on offense, not having to coach up yet a second new QB. Glennon is just a white EJ. Not gonna make it as a starter , but OK in a pinch.

Glennon would definitely be an upgrade over EJ. He's in the last year of his deal so I wonder if Tampa will or can deal him. It probably comes down to compensation. He'll get them a decent comp pick if he plays out his deal and moves on. Besides that he's a good backup and has value to them this season. Another team would have to work out an extension with him to make it worth their while to trade any real asset. I'd give the kid a hard look if he was made available, but he'll probably play out his deal and see what opportunity and money he can find via FA in 2017.

I like Glennon but how does he fit into the current offensive philosophy? And if you did, how would the coaches plan when TT has one set of skills and MG has a completely different set of skills?

I'm in favor of having a backup who bring a similar skill set to the table.

Glennon would definitely be an upgrade over EJ.

I am just not sure this is true. EJ has a better NFL completion %, they have the same ypa (6.5) and the same number of career interceptions. Where Glennon has an advantage is in TD passes but when you add EJ's yard and touchdowns running the ball they are almost exactly the same.

I have all but given up on EJ Manuel, so this is not the last vestiges of a deluded fanboy... I have just never got the fascination with Glennon. I don't think the people who have it have watched him play.

They are both what they are - just good enough to hang around the league as backups somewhere.

Edited by GunnerBill

I want our offensive coaching staff focused on opening the playbook, coaching up TT and EJ plus a draft choice and winning more games on offense, not having to coach up yet a second new QB. Glennon is just a white EJ. Not gonna make it as a starter , but OK in a pinch.

EJ is done in Buffalo. He will probably be cut in training camp. Whoever they draft will be the backup and they'll take somebody else's castoff to be number 3.

That will not happen with his 2016 money guaranteed.

The only way it happens is if the rookie they draft knocks it out of the park in camp and preseason and becomes firmly entrenched as the #2.

If that happens the EJ issue becomes less about money and more about roster spot for a #3.

The only way it happens is if the rookie they draft knocks it out of the park in camp and preseason and becomes firmly entrenched as the #2.

If that happens the EJ issue becomes less about money and more about roster spot for a #3.

They don't have the cap space to waste this year. I see a possible trade should another team be interested, but not cutting him.

They don't have the cap space to waste this year. I see a possible trade should another team be interested, but not cutting him.

But they are paying him either way. If he is only going to be the #3 QB then the question becomes keep him or keep an additional special teamer from the end of the draft or FA on the rookie or vet minimum.

If EJ is in competition for the #2 I agree no way he is cut.... they will keep 3 QBs. But if the rookie blows him out of the water the question becomes EJ as a third Quarterback or a minimum salary special team player.

I don't think that would be clearcut.

The chances are EJ is our #2 next year... but if he loses that job he is not safe on the roster.

Edited by GunnerBill

But they are paying him either way. If he is only going to be the #3 QB then the question becomes keep him or keep an additional special teamer from the end of the draft of FA on the rookie or vet minimum.

If EJ is in competition for the #2 I agree no way he is cut.... they will keep 3 QBs. But if the rookie blows him out of the water the question becomes EJ as a third Quarterback or a minimum salary special team player.

I don't think that would be clearcut.

The chances are EJ is our #2 next year... but if he loses that job he is not safe on the roster.

No QB they can acquire will be ready for anything other than a #3 role next season IMO. That's why (along with the cap ramifications) I see EJ making the team this year in what will likely be his final year as a Buffalo Bill.

No QB they can acquire will be ready for anything other than a #3 role next season IMO. That's why (along with the cap ramifications) I see EJ making the team this year in what will likely be his final year as a Buffalo Bill.

Sure if that is the case EJ stays. But a rookie smashing it out of the park is possible that is all I am saying.

Sure if that is the case EJ stays. But a rookie smashing it out of the park is possible that is all I am saying.

Sure it's possible, but not likely. This QB class will need time to develop. I'm curious to know if you see any particular incoming rookie QB who the Bills could get that is capable of playing in Roman's offense this season.

Sure it's possible, but not likely. This QB class will need time to develop. I'm curious to know if you see any particular incoming rookie QB who the Bills could get that is capable of playing in Roman's offense this season.

Not immediately, no.... but if they went Cook as an example I think he would have a shot at beating out EJ. Prescott, Jones, Hackenburg, Hogan etc are all probably 3s in year 1.

Not immediately, no.... but if they went Cook as an example I think he would have a shot at beating out EJ. Prescott, Jones, Hackenburg, Hogan etc are all probably 3s in year 1.

Possible, but they'd have to use a #1 pick on Cook to get him and that would be a mistake IMO.

Seriously, this. I want to see what will happen with a proper offensive coaching staff for TT and EJ for a few years. We are so quick to move on from developing QBs. Let's try some consistency for once.