Nix vs. Whaley, the final showdown

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better GM

• Nix
    • Whaley

We don't know for sure. That is my point! If the team falters because of the "Rex effect" his job status will also be affected whether he wanted Rex or not.

Was Whaley strenuous in his objections to a Rex hire? I doubt it. That is not to say that he favored the hire or preferred him over other candidates. If a GM makes it clear to a new owner that a particular candidate is not suited for the position I doubt that the owner would have so quickly made the hire. Acquiescing to this hire, whether he was happy with the selection or not, still affected him as to how he performs at his job.

Ok, so long as you're ok with Whaley getting credit for Roman and the #1 rushing team in the NFL.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so long as you're ok with Whaley getting credit for Roman and the #1 rushing team in the NFL.

You haven't been reading my posts very carefully. For a long time I have been a supporter of Whaley. In general he has done a very good job. In my calculations his hits very much out balance his misses. The issue of who recruited Roman is inconsequential and immaterial to me. You judge a player or coach on their overall performances. Rex brought in Roman. It was a good hire. Overall he handled the players he had to work with very intelligently. He smartly handled TT. In my view Rex did the opposite. He mishandled the talent he had to work with. Especially with the DL he accentuated their weaknesses and minimized their strengths.

As I have often stated the Rex hire was a peculiar hire. Roman would have been a more reasonable coaching candidate than the blathering Rex.

These lists are not complete. I count only 4 players on the nix list that worked out better than Manny Lawson yet Lawson is not mentioned. Where are Corey Graham nickell robey and Dan Carpenter. If half decent rotational players like alex carrington and cj spiller are check marks for nix then where are Corbin Bryant jarius wynn Preston Brown kiko etc for Whaley.

Edit Kyle Orton too

FireChan doesn't like posts like these because they absolutely shut down his anti-bills drivel. Is it just me or is there a handful of negative posters who have been dragging the board down lately? At least in the old days there were funny trolls.

Last Playoff appearance: 1999!!! This is a losing organization and has been long before Nix or Whaley took over; the only list or statistic that counts is the won - lost record. That's the final showdown everything else is senseless babble!

Last Playoff appearance: 1999!!! This is a losing organization and has been long before Nix or Whaley took over; the only list or statistic that counts is the won - lost record. That's the final showdown everything else is senseless babble!

The Bills lack of playoff appearances for the last 16 years had to do with ownership, bad GMs were just a byproduct. As much as I believe Ralph Wilson was great for the NFL, and as much as I respect and appreciate what he did to keep the team in Buffalo, he was never a good owner when it came to personnel.

You haven't been reading my posts very carefully. For a long time I have been a supporter of Whaley. In general he has done a very good job. In my calculations his hits very much out balance his misses. The issue of who recruited Roman is inconsequential and immaterial to me. You judge a player or coach on their overall performances. Rex brought in Roman. It was a good hire. Overall he handled the players he had to work with very intelligently. He smartly handled TT. In my view Rex did the opposite. He mishandled the talent he had to work with. Especially with the DL he accentuated their weaknesses and minimized their strengths.

As I have often stated the Rex hire was a peculiar hire. Roman would have been a more reasonable coaching candidate than the blathering Rex.

I have read your posts. I'm saying we just don't know to what level Whaley was either for or against Rex being hired. I don't think the word for the Rex hiring was peculiar but him reporting to the owner certainly is.

FireChan doesn't like posts like these because they absolutely shut down his anti-bills drivel. Is it just me or is there a handful of negative posters who have been dragging the board down lately? At least in the old days there were funny trolls.

What do you mean by the old days? February?

What do you mean by the old days? February?

I've been checking this board daily for about 10 years. Recently, I decided to make an account to help balance out all the negativity. I am excited about the Pegula era and our team's future.

I've been checking this board daily for about 10 years. Recently, I decided to make an account to help balance out all the negativity. I am excited about the Pegula era and our team's future.

Expect resistance and keep the faith

Lol !

Now, I want to put to bed this misconception that Nix was a bumbling fool that Whaley had to overcome. Here's a compilation of their greatest hits, acquired and drafted players.

Buddy:

Dareus

AW VERY

Searcy

Gilmore

Glenn

Bradham

Carrington

Spiller

Mario

Fitzy

Whaley:

Woods

McCoy

SWAT

Darby

Karlos

Incognito and Taylor

Seantrel

Hughes

Clay

Who did better? I think I'm taking Nix.

Buddy:

Dareus GREAT

AW VERY GOOD

Searcy GOOD

Gilmore VERY GOOD

Glenn VERY GOOD

Bradham AVERAGE

Carrington BELOW AVERAGE

Spiller BELOW AVERAGE

Mario VERY GOOD

Fitzy GOOD

Whaley:

Woods GOOD

McCoy VERY GOOD

SWAT GREAT

Darby VERY GOOD

Karlos GOOD

Incognito and Taylor (I put these more with Rex, TBH), well that's stupid, and also we're going to de-bundle them

Incognito VERY GOOD

Taylor GOOD

Seantrel AVERAGE

Hughes VERY GOOD

Clay GOOD

Let's also explore the good players you inexplicably left off Whaley's list:

Kiko GOOD (for what he did and for what we got)

Goodwin AVERAGE

Preston Brown GOOD

John Miller GOOD

I guess I align with 90% of Bills fans/people on this board at wondering how you arrived at your conclusion.

Buddy:

Dareus GREAT

AW VERY GOOD

Searcy GOOD

Gilmore VERY GOOD

Glenn VERY GOOD

Bradham AVERAGE

Carrington BELOW AVERAGE

Spiller BELOW AVERAGE

Mario VERY GOOD

Fitzy GOOD

Whaley:

Woods GOOD

McCoy VERY GOOD

SWAT GREAT

Darby VERY GOOD

Karlos GOOD

Incognito and Taylor (I put these more with Rex, TBH), well that's stupid, and also we're going to de-bundle them

Incognito VERY GOOD

Taylor GOOD

Seantrel AVERAGE

Hughes VERY GOOD

Clay GOOD

Let's also explore the good players you inexplicably left off Whaley's list:

Kiko GOOD (for what he did and for what we got)

Goodwin AVERAGE

Preston Brown GOOD

John Miller GOOD

I guess I align with 90% of Bills fans/people on this board at wondering how you arrived at your conclusion.

Well I disagree with many of your player evaluations. Brown is bad. Kiko is bad. Miller is bad. Goodwin is bad. Seantrel is bad (but good value). Carrington is also bad but good value.

I guess I see Nix got us 4 players who are arguably top 10 or top 5 at their position. Whaley didn't. And I don't agree with crediting him double for McCoy and Kiko. Then I'd have to take off for trying to re-sign Spills.

It's also not that stupid, to the bolded.

Edited by FireChan

Well I disagree with many of your player evaluations. Brown is bad. Kiko is bad. Miller is bad. Goodwin is bad. Seantrel is bad (but good value). Carrington is also bad but good value.

I guess I see Nix got us 4 players who are arguably top 10 or top 5 at their position. Whaley didn't. And I don't agree with crediting him double for McCoy and Kiko. Then I'd have to take off for trying to re-sign Spills.

It's also not that stupid, to the bolded.

It's stupid if you don't extend the same qualifier to guys Gailey urged his GM to go out and get.