They should shorten NFL games.

I was just watching the Michigan State v Purdue game and it came down to the last 60 seconds. Almost every basketball game comes down to the last few seconds.

Same with NFL games. There's always that last drive, the onside kick with 45 seconds left, the quick passes and out patters to stop the clock during the "two minute drill".

So why play for 45 minute halves? They should cut it down to three 15 minute periods like hockey. Or even two 20 minute halves. It would make sense as follows:

1) We could spend more time with our families and pets

2) Less commercial timeouts would mean less advertisers and, logically, lower ticket prices

3) Less injuries - players would be exposed to less "field time" so they wouldn't be injured as severely

4) More intensity during the last minutes of a shorter period or half

Thoughts?

yep, don't make this suggestion again! The timing of the game is just fine.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, don't make this suggestion again! The timing of the game is just fine.

If you like watching RB's run into the butts of 350 pound men time and time again then fine...otherwise, create a sense of urgency in the game and shorten the periods.

In addition, the implanted chip idea above could be an iPhone app that tells you when the RB is heading toward a pile of butts and I could scream at him to go left. Shorten the game and make it more exciting. The commercials and analysis for a few hours will preserve the integrity of the game for those who want to keep it the way it is.

I say shorten the preseason instead.

Two preseason games, one home and one away.

Add a game to the regular season

Not only should they shorten the game time, but they should have more pre-season games that actually count toward your record.

Not only should they shorten the game time, but they should have more pre-season games that actually count toward your record.

I don't know about any of you, but I'm tired, damn tired, of watching boring preseason games! It almost seems like their goal isn't to win the game. They don't even play their best players most of the time. It shouldn't count towards their record, but it should count for something. What if we expanded the preseason, and had preseason playoffs, and they had a preseason championship? That, is something I would watch.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I wouldn't mind a Playoff Championship for Preseason. BUT, I disagree on whether they should count toward the record. Look, I know the games need to be shortened to three 10 minute periods or two 25 minute halves...we all agree on that point. But during the preseason, they should have a round robin style tournament with Bowl games at the end to decide who is the Preseason Champion. Then the Champion would be seeded for the regular season...say the Bills won the whole Preseason Championship...they would be seeded #1...they would then play the team that had the worst preseason record in the season opener.

Want to make the Preseason Playoff Tournament an exciting event...use the implanted chip for NFL fans on a trial run for preseason games. As a Bills fan, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it took me into the huddle, on the sidelines and allowed me to actively participate in the playcalling. The whole idea of increasing the playclock to two minutes between each play is because the game itself is shortened, but the time in between is lengthened so the coaches can consider suggestions via Twitter, Facebook and via the implanted chip from fans like me. Once a big company signs on as the sponsor of the Buffalo NFL Reality chip (say, Sahlens Hot Dogs for instance), you would only have to listen to the Sahlens jingle for 30 seconds before it takes you back into the live game action. Tell me you wouldn't have one implanted if you could experience real NFL action?? (crickets) I rest my case.

1. More time w/families = less time in the stadium buying NFL merchandise I see people getting chips implanted of their favorite team so the sideline playcalling and live action can be heard right in your own head. This will cost a bundle but revenue will skyrocket even if the game is only 30 minutes long. Every chip will be sponsored by a certain brand...like Progressive Insurance, so you have to listen to Progressive commercials for another 3 hours after the game.

2. Fewer commercials = lower league profits See #1 above. The internal NFL chip will make you listen to the commercials before you can get back to live action. The chip can be paused if you have to go to a wedding or something.

3. Good point, but I think 1 and 2 will outweigh

4. Not sure > intensity would happen with professional players. Maybe with fans. Shorter games would build excitement in the fan base and the players. If a RB knows he only has one shot at breaking a 80 yard run because the game is only a total of 20 minutes, he's gonna try even harder. The nice thing about the internal NFL chip for each fan, is when you watch him run into the wall of Olineman and Dlineman, fans can scream out loud and the chip in your head is calibrated and networked into each team. If you yell "run left...look at that hole they made for you!!" the RB can actually listen to your comments and quickly dart left in to the opening. It will create a more "reality based" game for the fans with excitement in a shorter time allotment. The internal commercials playing in your head for 3 hours during and after each game would be a fair tradeoff in my opinion.

I'm curious about whether a faster game would benefit RexRob or be a further detriment to his ability to succeed. Less time means less opportunity for screw ups seems like a good idea, but, a faster game would mean RexRob would have to make quicker decisions. RexRob does not seem to have the ability to make quick decisions.

Thoughts?

Okay then. Two, two minute halves. That's it. But as I suggested earlier, they have to move the goal posts to the sidelines on the fifty yard line and all the players play every down. So, the field is 100 yards wide, not 100 yards long. And, let's do away with kicks. Ref starts each two minute half by putting a ball on each 35 yard line at the middle of the field and blows a whistle. Teams line up on the edge of each sideline and run to recover the ball. No time outs.

Okay then. Two, two minute halves. That's it. But as I suggested earlier, they have to move the goal posts to the sidelines on the fifty yard line and all the players play every down. So, the field is 100 yards wide, not 100 yards long. And, let's do away with kicks. Ref starts each two minute half by putting a ball on each 35 yard line at the middle of the field and blows a whistle. Teams line up on the edge of each sideline and run to recover the ball. No time outs.

^^^ This...adds to excitement and assures player safety.

I was just watching the Michigan State v Purdue game and it came down to the last 60 seconds. Almost every basketball game comes down to the last few seconds.

Same with NFL games. There's always that last drive, the onside kick with 45 seconds left, the quick passes and out patters to stop the clock during the "two minute drill".

So why play for 45 minute halves? They should cut it down to three 15 minute periods like hockey. Or even two 20 minute halves. It would make sense as follows:

2) Less commercial timeouts would mean less advertisers and, logically, lower ticket prices

3) Less injuries - players would be exposed to less "field time" so they wouldn't be injured as severely

Thoughts?

If all the action is in the last 5 minutes, why not just make it a 5 minute game? One team gets a 3 point lead and the other gets the ball at midfield. Go.

They could play 4 games in one day, making for a 64 game regular season (far fewer tie breakers required). Playoffs are best of 5 games.

Someone should pay me to come up with ideas this good.

^^^ This...adds to excitement and assures player safety.

Exactly!

If all the action is in the last 5 minutes, why not just make it a 5 minute game? One team gets a 3 point lead and the other gets the ball at midfield. Go.

They could play 4 games in one day, making for a 64 game regular season (far fewer tie breakers required). Playoffs are best of 5 games.

Someone should pay me to come up with ideas this good.

Massively good ideas!

Restart the clock on ready-for-play on incomplete passes unless it's the last 2 minutes of the first half, or last five minutes of the second half/OT. This is the same rule they already have for OOB clock stoppages.

BringBackFergy, the only thing we all agree on is that you have wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much free time. Ever consider taking up a hobby? ( besides watching football)

If you would kindly read above I think you'll see a consensus that the game should be shortened. Currently it takes three and half hours to get through an NFL game. Under my proposal, I would shave considerable time off this total as follows:

a) there would be a 15 minute pre-game equipment inspection and on field contact drills just to get a feel for each opponent,

b) then kickoff would start the first 20 minute half with a 2 minute play clock between each play,

c) then a 30 minute halftime (for player safety and coaching analysis...commercials would come into play here to keep revenue up),

d) then on field stretching for 15 minutes (player safety),

e) second half kickoff, then another 20 minute half with 2 minutes in between each play.

f) In the event of a tie, there would be a "redemption shot" kind of like when we used to play "HORSE" and each QB would have the opportunity to hit a pie plate in the end zone starting at the 50 yard line (once again, player safety, no jump balls, no torn ACL's, excitement, no boring run plays up the middle). I think we're all in agreement this would streamline the game.

Thoughts?

Can't happen. It would mean fewer TV commercials and they can't have that. If fact they probably need to add a few more timeouts or something to get more commercials.

If you would kindly read above I think you'll see a consensus that the game should be shortened. Currently it takes three and half hours to get through an NFL game. Under my proposal, I would shave considerable time off this total as follows:

a) there would be a 15 minute pre-game equipment inspection and on field contact drills just to get a feel for each opponent,

b) then kickoff would start the first 20 minute half with a 2 minute play clock between each play,

c) then a 30 minute halftime (for player safety and coaching analysis...commercials would come into play here to keep revenue up),

d) then on field stretching for 15 minutes (player safety),

e) second half kickoff, then another 20 minute half with 2 minutes in between each play.

f) In the event of a tie, there would be a "redemption shot" kind of like when we used to play "HORSE" and each QB would have the opportunity to hit a pie plate in the end zone starting at the 50 yard line (once again, player safety, no jump balls, no torn ACL's, excitement, no boring run plays up the middle). I think we're all in agreement this would streamline the game.

I agree with all except for the last point. At first, I suggested a field goal competition, like the game of horse. Then, I was gonna suggest like, a punt off. Just the snapper and the punter (again, player safety) punting. Who ever gets closest to the goal line, without going over, wins. Kinda like shuffleboard, or the Price is Right (Bob Barker version of course.).

Then I thought, what's missing here? Fan interaction! So, we take the three ideas, plus maybe some sort of long snap competition (we got that locked with Sanborn), and leave it up to fan vote! Each individual game that goes to overtime, they can put on the screen "Tweet #Overtime1 for Field Goal Competition" or "Tweet #Overtime2 for Redemption shot" etc. Then fans take to Twitter, Facebook, and of course implanted chips to vote. We have a 5 minute commercial break, along with 5 more minutes of commentary to let the votes compile. Then OT! Best of all worlds.