UB men and women going dancing.

Congrats UB men and women!!!! Great coaching, very impressive and exciting games. Exciting to be in the big dance again this year. Never thought it would happen with the Hurley stuff, transfers, etc.

And UB men's coach Nate Oats, whose wife is battling cancer by the way, is third in MAC COY voting. This is why the MAC is a petty, inbred, chickenshit conference of third-rate schools with directions in their names. The sooner UB moves up the better.

But truly a miracle season for both programs.

Nice tweet from Bobby Hurley

@bobbyhurley11

Familiar fantastic scene in Cleveland - no one deserves it more than @nate_oats and company!

I was not aware that Oats wife had cancer... I did know that he was facing personal challenges but didn't know specifics. Wow.

UB Men and Women's teams both win in final seconds to go dancing. Eichel scores with 1 second left in OT to lift Sabres to victory. Bandits send Tavares' number 11 to the rafters then go on to win. Buffalo Beauts play in inaugural women's hockey final and the Buffalo 716ers win yet again.

Truly a great and thrilling weekend to be a Buffalo Sports fan.

Nice tweet from Bobby Hurley

@bobbyhurley11

Familiar fantastic scene in Cleveland - no one deserves it more than @nate_oats and company!

I was not aware that Oats wife had cancer... I did know that he was facing personal challenges but didn't know specifics. Wow.

Thanks, Bobby. Of course you lit the team on fire on your way out the door, and you ran to Bucky Gleason to embarrass the former AD over money, but thanks for the kind words.

BTW Bobby's schedule should be pretty free for TV slots on CBS since the Sun Devils stunk and are done.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Thanks, Bobby. Of course you lit the team on fire on your way out the door, and you ran to Bucky Gleason to embarrass the former AD over money, but thanks for the kind words.

BTW Bobby's schedule should be pretty free for TV slots on CBS since the Sun Devils stunk and are done.

Lol tell us how you really feel.

Bobby Hurley did what most coaches do in the college ranks. He climbed the ladder like almost all coaches do. He took over for Weatherspoon who did a solid job and then in short order elevated the program.

UB couldn't come close to matching the money that Hurley received from Arizona State. The school he left is on a different financial tier than the school he went to. No one should fault Hurley for leaving a lower tiered program and conference for a conference with a higher national profile.

It's not surprising that the young upper mobile AD who hired Hurley last year left to go to another college. The college sports business is a fiercely competitive and a merciless system. If you don't succeed and do it quickly the chorus for your firing will grow louder. My point is what Hurley and the former AD did is work within the system that everyone else is working in. They shouldn't be criticized for moving up the ranks. They did a good job while at UB, and for that they should be thanked and wished well.

Wow. Storybook year.

No doubt...would make a great 30 for 30! What if I told you....the head coach would leave, the 2 returning star players gone, and they're dancing....way to go UB, watched all 3 games and they were fantastic...

Edited by ricojes

I've followed and supported UB sports since forever, so yesterday was an amazing day. It's great to see a Buffalo program ascend the ladder and WIN. Two years in a row for the men. So exciting. We're so used to watching our Buffalo teams choke and lose that it's almost hard to comprehend when they win championships.

Bobby Hurley did what most coaches do in the college ranks. He climbed the ladder like almost all coaches do. He took over for Weatherspoon who did a solid job and then in short order elevated the program.

UB couldn't come close to matching the money that Hurley received from Arizona State. The school he left is on a different financial tier than the school he went to. No one should fault Hurley for leaving a lower tiered program and conference for a conference with a higher national profile.

It's not surprising that the young upper mobile AD who hired Hurley last year left to go to another college. The college sports business is a fiercely competitive and a merciless system. If you don't succeed and do it quickly the chorus for your firing will grow louder. My point is what Hurley and the former AD did is work within the system that everyone else is working in. They shouldn't be criticized for moving up the ranks. They did a good job while at UB, and for that they should be thanked and wished well.

You are completely correct and I don't begrudge coaches or AD's that use UB to climb the ladder. That is UB's place in the college food chain right now. Plus people who move up are doing so because they did good work at UB. For all we know Nate Oats could be out of here.

But my two beefs with Hurley is cherry picking players from his old team and using Bucky Gleason to embarrass Danny White over his offer to keep him at UB. White went to alums and passed the hat to get Hurley a raise. I understand if it wasn't enough but there was no need to run to Bucky to embarrass the school, especially after White gave Hurley his coaching break.

As for Bracketology, Joe Lunardi has UB at #14 vs #3 Miami in Providence. I live less than two hours from there. I might have to hustle a ticket.

Meanwhile Charlie Creme has update the UB women at #14 vs #3 OSU in Columbus. (Yolo?)

combo_1516_MAC_Tourney-Champ-800x600.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You are completely correct and I don't begrudge coaches or AD's that use UB to climb the ladder. That is UB's place in the college food chain right now. Plus people who move up are doing so because they did good work at UB. For all we know Nate Oats could be out of here.

But my two beefs with Hurley is cherry picking players from his old team and using Bucky Gleason to embarrass Danny White over his offer to keep him at UB. White went to alums and passed the hat to get Hurley a raise. I understand if it wasn't enough but there was no need to run to Bucky to embarrass the school, especially after White gave Hurley his coaching break.

As for Bracketology, Joe Lunardi has UB at #14 vs #3 Miami in Providence. I live less than two hours from there. I might have to hustle a ticket.

Meanwhile Charlie Creme has the UB women at #15 vs Texas in Austin.

I have a different take on players leaving programs. My feeling is if a coach can freely leave a program (sometimes a buyout is required) then a player should also have the right to leave the program when the coach that recruited him leaves. The player who left UB to join him was recruited by Hurley. If the player wants to leave he should be able to. I'm also adding the condition that if the coach departs the player should have the right to go anywhere he wants to without having to sit out. That isn't the case now but it seems unfair that a coach can leave and continue with his coaching career while the player has to sit out a year if he leaves.

You can look at the situation as Hurley cherry picking a player or you can look at it as the player wanting to follow him. My bias is toward accommodating what the player wants to do. In this case he is accepting the stipulation of having to sit out a year in order to join the coach he wants to play under.

As far as UB the team is not only good but well coached. They are also entertaining to watch. Virginia is one of the top teams in the country but it is excruciating to watch their brand of tough defensive ball with a too controlled offense.

What salvaged the season for UB after the Hurley departure was the infusion of talent from the junior college ranks. Wouldn't it be great to see Canisius and Niagra elevate its program and then have St. Bona and UB collectively uplift the local basketball? The current coverage is almost nonexistent. That's a shame.

I have a different take on players leaving programs. My feeling is if a coach can freely leave a program (sometimes a buyout is required) then a player should also have the right to leave the program when the coach that recruited him leaves. The player who left UB to join him was recruited by Hurley. If the player wants to leave he should be able to. I'm also adding the condition that if the coach departs the player should have the right to go anywhere he wants to without having to sit out. That isn't the case now but it seems unfair that a coach can leave and continue with his coaching career while the player has to sit out a year if he leaves.

You can look at the situation as Hurley cherry picking a player or you can look at it as the player wanting to follow him. My bias is toward accommodating what the player wants to do. In this case he is accepting the stipulation of having to sit out a year in order to join the coach he wants to play under.

As far as UB the team is not only good but well coached. They are also entertaining to watch. Virginia is one of the top teams in the country but it is excruciating to watch their brand of tough defensive ball with a too controlled offense.

What salvaged the season for UB after the Hurley departure was the infusion of talent from the junior college ranks. Wouldn't it be great to see Canisius and Niagra elevate its program and then have St. Bona and UB collectively uplift the local basketball? The current coverage is almost nonexistent. That's a shame.

Nate Oats was Hurley's recruitment guy so it can be argued who recruited who. There were also whispers that Hurley encouraged players like Shannon Evans to follow him to ASU, even if it meant sitting a season. I do agree it's unfair for coaches to move freely but not players. And all those junior college players were guys Oats brought in. He literally built that team in one off season, so their success is just amazing.

Nate Oats was Hurley's recruitment guy so it can be argued who recruited who. There were also whispers that Hurley encouraged players like Shannon Evans to follow him to ASU, even if it meant sitting a season. I do agree it's unfair for coaches to move freely but not players. And all those junior college players were guys Oats brought in. He literally built that team in one off season, so their success is just amazing.

You have to give Nate Oats credit for doing such a terrific job. Not only is he responsible for bringing in the talent (as you so stated) but the team is also well coached. Just think if his teams do well over the next few years this mid-level college coach will be an attractive coach for a struggling upper tier program. The moral of the story: Coaches strive to go up the ladder and not down it.

You have to give Nate Oats credit for doing such a terrific job. Not only is he responsible for bringing in the talent (as you so stated) but the team is also well coached. Just think if his teams do well over the next few years this mid-level college coach will be an attractive coach for a struggling upper tier program. The moral of the story: Coaches strive to go up the ladder and not down it.

Not to jump to conclusions but I do wonder whether Oats will be around next season. I would hope he would give UB another season but you never know who will come calling. Who would be next in line? Former UConn and NBA great Donyell Marshall is a Bulls assistant coach. Maybe him?

I said all along that Hurley jumped the gun leaving. He should of stayed one more year. The team he was going to bring back was loaded & would of been the clear favorites in the MAC. & then after this year he could of named his job. Instead he bolted for ASU, not a very soft landing. Tough place to win, always playing second fiddle to big brother Arizona, having to deal with recruiting battles with the Socal schools, going against moneybags Oregon, tough road trips to Colorado/UTAH & Stanford/Cal. Plus his recruiting territory that he is familiar with is east coast. He has got a big job ahead of him.

But yes it easy for me to say turn down all that money & stay at UB. So I guess I could see Hurley's point also. I just think if he waited another year he could had a softer landing spot.

Edited by Gordio

Enjoy the Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon Mcclennon show. Miami is strong.

It is a bad matchup for UB. I don't see anyway how UB handles Miami's backcourt. UB's guards just aren't at that level. UB better shoot lights out from behind the arc or this could get ugly.

Enjoy the Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon Mcclennon show. Miami is strong.

It is a bad matchup for UB. I don't see anyway how UB handles Miami's backcourt. UB's guards just aren't at that level. UB better shoot lights out from behind the arc or this could get ugly.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned UB is playing with house money. Preseason picks had them dead last in the MAC so all this is gravy. Here's hoping Miami thinks they have a gimme.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Hey, as far as I'm concerned UB is playing with house money. Preseason picks had them dead last in the MAC so all this is gravy. Here's hoping Miami thinks they have a gimme.

Very true.

I just remember a few weeks back when the Miami of Ohio Point Guard gave UB all kinds of problems in their win at Alumni. Noone was able to check him. Pretty Sure Angel Rodriguez is going to have a field day.

It was a great time despite the loss. UB definitely had the largest rooting section in the building. They hung in there against the #11 team in the country that had a big size advantage.

UB only loses two middling players and adds a 7-footer next year. So there is cause for optimism. It was also pointed out by other UB alums at the event that the athletic department is light years ahead of where it was just 10 years ago.

Don't forget UB women vs Ohio State @ 2:30 today on ESPN3/WatchESPN.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• 4 weeks later...