Buffalo Bills 2016 Theme: Continuity With Urgency

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Source says LT Cordy Glenn's "floor" could be $10 million per year on open market... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/27/249754/

As a Bills fan I'm conditioned to assume they'll screw it up and lose him, but this is where having a deep pocketed owner makes all the difference. I fully expect a deal done by training camp or sooner.

Whaley with John Murphy from Mobile, ALA:

Whaley on having 3 Pro Bowl players: "We're excited for those guys because they put in the hard work"

Whaley on re-signing @68INCOGNITO : "We want Richie and his representatives walking away smiling after a deal"

Whaley on re-signing @TyrodTaylor early : " If we come up with a deal that works for both parties we wouldn't be opposed to (an extension)"

Whaley on adding another QB: "We only have two on the roster now, so just on pure numbers we will have to add one"

Whaley: "Draft is really deep on the Defensive Line, and also deep at QB and WR"

Whaley on the salary cap: " We just have to be careful. We don't have to do what we did last year, we just need to tinker it"

Doug Whaley: "We're excited about this draft" (14:41)
Bills GM Doug Whaley sat down on The John Murphy Show from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama. Whaley discusses the team's Pro Bowl participants, free agency, and scouting out position needs here at the Senior Bowl.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No reporter is under contract. If he's good, desired and wants to leave b-lo, he will flee.

Not necessarily; sometimes writers negotiate things like paid moving expenses which will have to be repaid if he leaves within a certain period of time. Sort of like breaking a cell phone contract.

Bills seeking developmental depth at QB

With the strides made by Tyrod Taylor as a first-year starter in 2015, Buffalo isn't pressured to find a future starting QB. But with both quarterbacks on the roster entering the final year of their contracts, GM Doug Whaley is interested in adding some depth behind Taylor that shows the potential to develop.

Only Saints and Dolphins have less cap space then Bills

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

2015 they went all in and ended up just 8-8

Someday someone will need to explain this term to me.

Is there an assumption that most teams don't go "all in" every season? Are the players the Bills went "all in" on last year no longer on the team?

Is there an assumption that most teams don't go "all in" every season? Are the players the Bills went "all in" on last year no longer on the team?

Yeah, the "all in" language is silly. The Bills are finally spending to the cap -- which is what every team should do every season. It's not like 2015 was a "make or break" year for a veteran team about to be torn apart -- they spent a lot of money to upgrade the offense and now they have to make decisions (like every team) about re-signing FAs and how they will compose the roster for 2016.

The hand-wringing about the Bills' cap situation is nonsensical.

Yeah, the "all in" language is silly. The Bills are finally spending to the cap -- which is what every team should do every season. It's not like 2015 was a "make or break" year for a veteran team about to be torn apart -- they spent a lot of money to upgrade the offense and now they have to make decisions (like every team) about re-signing FAs and how they will compose the roster for 2016.

I think people are just not used to the Bills spending to the cap. So, when we did so, it "feels" like an all in, when, as you say, it should just be normal procedure.

Reasons for hope for every non-Super Bowl team

Broncos and Panthers fans are living the dream, but what about the 30 other teams sitting home on Super Bowl Sunday? Marc Sessler offers a reason for hope for every club left out in the cold.

Buffalo Bills: The in-fighting and lack of buy-in on defense tore the Bills apart, but that doesn't take away from what this big-play offense achieved under coordinator Greg Roman. Buffalo has an exciting young quarterback in Tyrod Taylor. Finding a legitimate wideout to pair with Sammy Watkins could be enough to make the Bills one of the league's top attacks in 2016.

While the "all-in" tag might be a bit exaggerated, so is the "standard business" tag. The Bills have made some frivilous moves and overpaid for some players. It certainly was a bit of a push personnel-wise and they certainly came up very mediocre. I didn't like to see it due to the apparent lack of a franchise QB on the roster. Now there are some decisions to be made. People might say that since Mario is not living up to his contract, he is a logical cut. That's true in a sense, but he also isn't being utilized as well this season as he was last season when he looked like a reasonable value. That's on the coaches, not Mario.

The real question is whether or not the spending of the recent past will hinder talent acquisition and retention or not? Will that spending lead to the overall talent pool of the Bills rising or falling? Losing Mario is a big subtraction of talent regardless of how underutilized that talent was. The Bills also have a total of three quality offensive linemen on the team - and two of them are free agents. Dumping Mario might make enough room to retain them, but that's not additional talent. It's just staying even on the offensive line while losing talent on the defensive line. I'm really struggling to see how the Bills will be more talented in 2016 than they were in 2015 even with another draft class.

Incognito’s goal: Come back & play in Buffalo

Bills Pro Bowl guard Richie Incognito has already been deemed a top offseason priority by GM Doug Whaley as they try to get him re-signed knowing he’s a key member of their offensive line. Set to become an unrestricted free agent in March, Incognito reiterated his desire to re-sign with the Bills.

Appearing on the John Murphy Show Wednesday night, Incognito talked about why it’s important for him to continue his career in Buffalo.

I think people are just not used to the Bills spending to the cap. So, when we did so, it "feels" like an all in, when, as you say, it should just be normal procedure.

As it stands, the Bills are second worst in terms of cap space. After the Clay restructure they'll be tied for 5th worst. They aren't in cap hell, but they aren't in good shape either.

As it stands, the Bills are second worst in terms of cap space. After the Clay restructure they'll be tied for 5th worst. They aren't in cap hell, but they aren't in good shape either.

I think they did overspend, but for me (I've been following the team for 45 years) it was refreshing to have an owner with deep pockets.

I trust OBD will figure it out. Even if we're in a tight spot now and perhaps for a season or two. Over the long haul, having owners like Terry and Kim Pegula will only be helpful, imo.

When talking about continuity, I can't help but think of the Steelers.

The've had 3 coaches over the past 46 years. They've won 60% of their games during that span and 6 Super Bowls.

In the 1940's, Pittsburgh went through 6 coaches over the decade and won just 38% of their games.

When they decided continuity matters, their fortunes changed.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think they did overspend, but for me (I've been following the team for 45 years) it was refreshing to have an owner with deep pockets.

I trust OBD will figure it out. Even if we're in a tight spot now and perhaps for a season or two. Over the long haul, having owners like Terry and Kim Pegula will only be helpful, imo.

Owners with deep pockets are certainly a plus. The FO just has to be smart with it. Hopefully they do get it figured out.

Going over the salary cap for FAs