Tonight NFL Channel

vorpma

On the NFL channel tonight (January 22nd) at 8:00 EST the first World Championship, the forerunner to the Super Bowl will be shown. For those who followed the old "AFL" it was a sad day as the Packers trounced the Chiefs. However, it is a chance see some great NFL and AFL HOFer's and it holds a bittersweet memory as the Bills lost the AFL Championship to Chiefs in Buffalo, a game I attended. The next Conference Championship would not be played in Buffalo for twenty - four seasons; January of 1991!

On the NFL channel tonight (January 22nd) at 8:00 EST the first World Championship, the forerunner to the Super Bowl will be shown. For those who followed the old "AFL" it was a sad day as the Packers trounced the Chiefs. However, it is a chance see some great NFL and AFL HOFer's and it holds a bittersweet memory as the Bills lost the AFL Championship to Chiefs in Buffalo, a game I attended. The next Conference Championship would not be played in Buffalo for twenty - four seasons; January of 1991!

I wish they would just show the game and keep the sometimes silly non stop chatter for a separate show. It gets silly at times.

dawson's photo of him smoking a cigarette at half time is kind of funny though. A great restoration job and history is saved.

If that game happened in 64 who knows who the first champs would have been? That Bills team would have been a tough

Team to beat. Not taking credit from the 65 AFL champs, but those guys were some bad arse Mofo's. Cookie alone would not have allowed a defeat.

Edited by Best Player Available

Thanks for the info. I thought it was last week and I missed it.

I wish they would just show the game and keep the sometimes silly non stop chatter for a separate show. It gets silly at times.

dawson's photo of him smoking a cigarette at half time is kind of funny though. A great restoration job and history is saved.

If that game happened in 64 who knows who the first champs would have been? That Bills team would have been a tough

Team to beat. Not taking credit from the 65 AFL champs, but those guys were some bad arse Mofo's. Cookie alone would not have allowed a defeat.

Back in 1966, the rumor was the Bills partied hard on New Years eve and were over confident due to winning the previous two Championship Games. Prior to this the Bills played NFL style football, between the tackles and defense. KC had speed, Otis Taylor and Mike Garrett led by Hank Stram and the multiple shifting offense. A changing of the Guard in the AFL!

I would have loved to see Cookie match up against the NFL!

Back in 1966, the rumor was the Bills partied hard on New Years eve and were over confident due to winning the previous two Championship Games. Prior to this the Bills played NFL style football, between the tackles and defense. KC had speed, Otis Taylor and Mike Garrett led by Hank Stram and the multiple shifting offense. A changing of the Guard in the AFL!

I would have loved to see Cookie match up against the NFL!

I guess the Kelly era Bills were just continuing the partying tradition.

By the way, Cookie was traded after the 1964 season so he wouldn't have played in that game.

I guess the Kelly era Bills were just continuing the partying tradition.

By the way, Cookie was traded after the 1964 season so he wouldn't have played in that game.

Still would have loved to watch the 1964 Bills play the NFL!

Still would have loved to watch the 1964 Bills play the NFL!

This made me look up the SB winners playing the college all stars and I was surprised to read they played that as late as 1976. I can't imagine that now!

This made me look up the SB winners playing the college all stars and I was surprised to read they played that as late as 1976. I can't imagine that now!

Remember that fondly, always the first football game of the year in early August!

I was at that Bills, Chiefs game.

Vorpma, you know your AFL stuff. I was growing up in Niagara county at the time, in high school. Broke my heart when the Chiefs trounced "our Bills"!!!! I think "we" would have made a good showing against the Pack. I still think our D then was just as good as theirs. I think we could have beaten them, too.

So the first red flag of a losing franchise was right in front of us 50 years ago?

Sadly, the Bills drafted horribly from 1964 - 1967 (sound familiar) and relied on many older players. The Bills dominated the mid 60's through power running and dominate defense, the Chiefs, Jets, and Raiders transitioned to the vertical game with speed. The Bills had a very weak front office (also sounds familiar) and somewhat corrected this during the Saban and Knox eras but never seemed to follow through. So yes, history keeps repeating itself with the Bills.

Sadly, the Bills drafted horribly from 1964 - 1967 (sound familiar) and relied on many older players. The Bills dominated the mid 60's through power running and dominate defense, the Chiefs, Jets, and Raiders transitioned to the vertical game with speed. The Bills had a very weak front office (also sounds familiar) and somewhat corrected this during the Saban and Knox eras but never seemed to follow through. So yes, history keeps repeating itself with the Bills.

Remember, the trade of Ron McDole after the 1970 season to George Allen's Redskins because he was getting too old. He went on to play 8 seasons for Washington.