Potential Cap Cut/Fit: Paul Kruger DE/OLB

Former Ravens OLB 3-4, 4-3 DE has ties with current staff on the Bills. Could be a great pickup in the Ryan bros. system, if cut by CLE. http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2015/12/paul-kruger-cleveland-browns-contract/

Great, coachable and physical player. Played great under Pettine's scheme in '14, but had issues along with all the other DLineman the Brownies had in '15.

Overall, could come at a decent price at a spot where we will kick the tires on when the '16 season begins.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/paul-kruger-wasnt-utilized-best-way-year/17563282

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he still in the industrial smoothing game?

Ha

In the offseason he can be found on Elm street, where he trains with various gloves attatched with razors, frequenting teens dreams and marketing his delisiocus smoothie machines

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Lets keep in mind that Mario was not the same Mario this last year.

Alex Carrington was giving more effort

I understand what you're saying John. But Dareus wasn't the same. Or Preston or Bradham or Hughes.

The Rex system ruined a lot of really good players. I love talent and there isn't anyone in FA or the draft who has the talent of Mario (when engaged). I HATE giving up good d linemen.

I liked him a few year ago. It's kinda depressing that the system is making us possibly get rid of Mario for guys like Krueger.

I don't know if it's the system or if it's Mario that's making the Bills drop him. He did come out earlier and said he didn't have any interest in restructuring his contract. So by virtue of that alone, either the team is moving on without him or without Glenn and Incognito. The system is fair in that all teams must spend 98.5% or more of the cap or pay it as a penalty. If the NFL went to the MLB's way of allowing teams to spend whatever they want, we would be back to the 80's where there's big money teams that just buy their championship. Not sure I want that. I do suppose that you can blame the Bills front office for giving the contract that they did. Did they jump to a conclusion that they would be able to negotiate their way out of NOT counting Mario nearly $20 million against the cap? If so, stupid on their part. I want to see Mario stay in Buffalo as well, but just not sure how that happens without him coming to the negotiating table.

Hughes didnt have the same stats as last year but he had a solid year IMO as he was allowed to rush the QB. Unfortunately, his penalties were as bad if not worse YOY. I agree with the earlier comment that if we are all in with the Rex boys we need more talent that fits the scheme.

I wish the decision was talent over coaching but it is what it is... so best to re-org the talent around the scheme if we want to see the playoffs next year.

Hughes didnt have the same stats as last year but he had a solid year IMO as he was allowed to rush the QB. Unfortunately, his penalties were as bad if not worse YOY. I agree with the earlier comment that if we are all in with the Rex boys we need more talent that fits the scheme.

I wish the decision was talent over coaching but it is what it is... so best to re-org the talent around the scheme if we want to see the playoffs next year.

mario's lack of production affected Hughes because teams didn't need to double team him anymore and focused more on Hughes. Still, I thought he had a very good season. Kyle's injury affected Dareus as well as not having a true NT in this scheme - I think if they add one it will free up Dareus. I would add a NT in FA (doesn't have to be Damon Harrison, NTs aren't overly $$) to eat blocks and draft a pass rusher to replace Mario. Frankly, I would try to keep Kyle and Carrington though, as well as Corbin Bryant.

Having a solid rotation on the DL is important IMO to keep them fresh.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Lets keep in mind that Mario was not the same Mario this last year.

Alex Carrington was giving more effort

Plus Carrington is a good, willing fit for the 3-4 edge setting end who drops once in a while. Mario was just too cool for that role. I hope Carrington is healthy. Seeing Alan Branch and Dwan Edwards playing and playing well over the weekend made me pissed at how many of these type guys the old Ralph regime let get away. No more please. Get Wynn and Carrington signed if they are healthy and wanted.

Whaley has it right.. focus on signing our own free agents, no chasing bright shiny objects this off season. Did that last year and it worked, no real need this year. Sign our guys and draft well.. that is the recipe. Boring for fans, but who cares what fans think.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Plus Carrington is a good, willing fit for the 3-4 edge setting end who drops once in a while. Mario was just too cool for that role. I hope Carrington is healthy. Seeing Alan Branch and Dwan Edwards playing and playing well over the weekend made me pissed at how many of these type guys the old Ralph regime let get away. No more please. Get Wynn and Carrington signed if they are healthy and wanted.

Whaley has it right.. focus on signing our own free agents, no chasing bright shiny objects this off season. Did that last year and it worked, no real need this year. Sign our guys and draft well.. that is the recipe. Boring for fans, but who cares what fans think.

Did you see our defense this year compared to last year? Right now, it seems like Mario knows how to use our personnel better than Rex.

I don't know if it's the system or if it's Mario that's making the Bills drop him. He did come out earlier and said he didn't have any interest in restructuring his contract. So by virtue of that alone, either the team is moving on without him or without Glenn and Incognito. The system is fair in that all teams must spend 98.5% or more of the cap or pay it as a penalty. If the NFL went to the MLB's way of allowing teams to spend whatever they want, we would be back to the 80's where there's big money teams that just buy their championship. Not sure I want that. I do suppose that you can blame the Bills front office for giving the contract that they did. Did they jump to a conclusion that they would be able to negotiate their way out of NOT counting Mario nearly $20 million against the cap? If so, stupid on their part. I want to see Mario stay in Buffalo as well, but just not sure how that happens without him coming to the negotiating table.

Good post. It's just funny how the narrative changed so quickly. Mario was beloved here last year. Now he is a problem child?

It's beyond annoying that somehow we have to rebuild a defense that was one of the best in the NFL. If Schwartz stayed, Mario might be willing to take a pay cut. So frustrating.

Did you see our defense this year compared to last year? Right now, it seems like Mario knows how to use our personnel better than Rex.

Good post. It's just funny how the narrative changed so quickly. Mario was beloved here last year. Now he is a problem child?

It's beyond annoying that somehow we have to rebuild a defense that was one of the best in the NFL. If Schwartz stayed, Mario might be willing to take a pay cut. So frustrating.

Its not like Rex Ryan defenses have not been good in the past.

As many of the players have said...it requires Buy in......do I wish we would not have made the changes? You bet! but the train has left the station. It is time now to figure out how we are going to make Rex Ryan's defense work.

Players that have played well in his system in the past is a good start.

Mario is gone......I am starting to suspect that once Rex decided he wasnt going to coddle him he became a cancer. Both financially and on the field play makes him gone. Keeping Glenn and Cog together makes him gone.

he was my favorite player. But he made himself a problem child, unless you don't believe the "anonymous" players who were interviewed by TT Dunne. Some blame can be placed on Rex for his scheme impacting his attitude and performance, but certainly not all. Unless you think the players are lying. I don't know. But I know what I saw during games and his performance and effort were highly disappointing.

he was my favorite player. But he made himself a problem child, unless you don't believe the "anonymous" players who were interviewed by TT Dunne. Some blame can be placed on Rex for his scheme impacting his attitude and performance, but certainly not all. Unless you think the players are lying. I don't know. But I know what I saw during games and his performance and effort were highly disappointing.

"takes two steps and stops"

Its not like Rex Ryan defenses have not been good in the past.

As many of the players have said...it requires Buy in......do I wish we would not have made the changes? You bet! but the train has left the station. It is time now to figure out how we are going to make Rex Ryan's defense work.

Players that have played well in his system in the past is a good start.

Mario is gone......I am starting to suspect that once Rex decided he wasnt going to coddle him he became a cancer. Both financially and on the field play makes him gone. Keeping Glenn and Cog together makes him gone.

Here's the thing John. I loved the Ryan hire. But I may have been overlooking some things. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/?mobile=false

It has been a downward spiral for Ryan defenses. Also, the Jets defense improved tremendously after we left.

I'm just sick of coaches and their BS systems. Marrone had his offensive system and it sucked. I know that Mario and Dareus were all pros in 2014 and our defense was one of the best in the NFL.

We are putting a lot of faith into Rex and in the last 5 years, he doesn't really deserve it. I want to be wrong but there are some bad signs.

1) I can't stand anonymous quotes. It's so cowardly. If you can't put your name behind, you probably shouldn't be saying it.

2) Mario has been more successful in the NFL more recently than Rex.

3) if his effort was so poor, why wasn't he benched?

4) sorry for hijacking the thread. :). I liked Krueger 3 years ago but he may be towards the end. Of course, most players look bad in Cleveland so if he's super cheap, I'd kick the tires.

Usually happens with quitters. Hope he had Jax on speed dial and saddle up to the bar with a few Landsharks.