Nice quick read on new WR Jarrett Boykin

moshermw

I always worry when a team looks at Wrs based on size instead of ability-in 2008 we wanted to draft a wr with size, so in round 2 we pick James Hardy instead of Desean Jackson

I always worry when a team looks at any position based on physical attributes instead of performance. The theory is "you can't coach (speed, height, arm span, whatever)" but the practice is that guys with heart technique and determination to succeed routinely outperform draftees who "look" the part.

I think the point of the signing is trying to find a helpful player without spending a lot. It's been done a lot lately at the position as evidenced by the playoff teams today.

exactly. You need productive "non-stars/starters" on a playoff team. This guy seems to fit that mold.

Also, his 40 time is fine. It's about separation and route running. Larry Fitzgerald is not blazing fast, but has fantastic hands and route running.

I always worry when a team looks at Wrs based on size instead of ability-in 2008 we wanted to draft a wr with size, so in round 2 we pick James Hardy instead of Desean Jackson

What about Desean Jackson screamed cant miss. Marshawn said we should draft him but outside of that. James hardy was a big "dynamic" player in college. Shawne Nelson comes to mind as well. I dont think its size so much as being enamored with college productivity. They need to look more at who can play... and who's style will fit the system they want to run

4.74 40 eek

I remember them saying that Larry Fitzgerald has below average speed. Looked fine when he damn near took that overtime pass to the house... also. Mike Gillislee ran almost a 4.6 40 and that guy gets in space. He wont be caught. 40 speed and game speed can be 2 totally different things

Definitely won't take the top off the D. Is smart, smooth as silk, great hands, big, strong and tough. Like the article said, someone to go over the middle where TT was a little sparse. Happy to play and is good on special teams, too.

The way Roman used Sammy this year, I don't think we need a bunch of burners like we did in the past. Sammy was our deep threat. It's a luxury to have Goodwin's speed, but he doesn't catch enough deep balls to justify the roster spot. We know he is next to useless in the short/medium range passing game. Hogan and Woods aren't exactly lumbering giants. I think Boykin adds nicely to the mix. Harvin is better on the deep ball, but he is a luxury due to his durability, which is another know on Goodwin.

He has a lot of the attributes I think we'd want in a #2 or #3 WR. That BR article hypes you up for him definitely, seems like he only lost out in GB b/c they wanted faster WRs... seems like teams just can't get over his bad 40 speed. Teams are sometimes stupidly myopic about things like that, and Boykin could definitely be productive. I like that he has an existing relationship with Tyrod and is known for his run blocking, too.

Hope he works out.