Nothing like inciting panic

blzrul

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/investing/markets-sell-everything-cataclysmic-year-rbs/index.html

Not much into conspiracy theories but something this dire makes me think someone's trying to be a bit manipulative. Not arguing that oil is low and China sucks but it seems somewhat extreme. In the end for those of us who invest, there's money to be made but I find this irresponsible; a lot of small investors will be hurt and I am not sure that panic is necessary.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when stocks drop 20%, you'd be railing against the banks for not recommending that clients sell stocks when there were dire economic forecasts ahead.

does anyone listen to forecasters who work for entities that have a vested interest in what they forecast?

Generally, when the "professionals" start screaming that the sky is falling, it's a market bottom. I find RBS' s statement encouraging, though not definitive. The only definitive sign of a market bottom I know of is when my mother sells her stock "because it's just going down..."

Generally, when the "professionals" start screaming that the sky is falling, it's a market bottom. I find RBS' s statement encouraging, though not definitive. The only definitive sign of a market bottom I know of is when my mother sells her stock "because it's just going down..."

that's how I knew the housing bubble was at its peak, my mother-in-law bought a condo in Florida before the building was even built...

Ok screw RBS. What does your mom think?

And when stocks drop 20%, you'd be railing against the banks for not recommending that clients sell stocks when there were dire economic forecasts ahead.

I have never in my life listened to what a "bank" told me to do with my portfolio. Which is why, while my portfolio might lose more in one month than some people make all year, it will shoot up again and over time yield a nice, comfortable return.

I find this headline and article pretty irresponsible and have an idea that triggering panic, not warning investors, is the intent. Panic is the only thing that seems to trickle down on the little guy, unfortunately.

Will she let blzrul know when to "panic" ?

I don't panic.

I have never in my life listened to what a "bank" told me to do with my portfolio. Which is why, while my portfolio might lose more in one month than some people make all year, it will shoot up again and over time yield a nice, comfortable return.

I find this headline and article pretty irresponsible and have an idea that triggering panic, not warning investors, is the intent. Panic is the only thing that seems to trickle down on the little guy, unfortunately.

I don't panic.

That's 'cause the little guy's an idiot.

But panicky little guys panicking don't drive the market.

I don't panic.

Then take your beef to CNN because they're the ones who wrote the headline and the article.

Then take your beef to CNN because they're the ones who wrote the headline and the article.

No I disagree and I hope you know that I am no fan of the mass media. RBS used those words. Sell everything and cataclysmic. And I don't care if your clients are institutional investors. Saying sell everything except high quality bonds is absurd at best histrionics at worst.

No I disagree and I hope you know that I am no fan of the mass media. RBS used those words. Sell everything and cataclysmic. And I don't care if your clients are institutional investors. Saying sell everything except high quality bonds is absurd at best histrionics at worst.

Tell that to a portfolio manager who will be 20% behind his peers and facing redemption orders for half of his funds' holdings.

Tell that to a portfolio manager who will be 20% behind his peers and facing redemption orders for half of his funds' holdings.

In that case, you're not even in entirely in control of your own actions, and not acting on the recommendations of RBS anyway.

Or 20% plus ahead of his peers because he didn't listen to RBS who said sell everything. If you base your portfolio selection on the words of one guy who says sell everything you're in the wrong business. Sell everything?? Come on man.

Or 20% plus ahead of his peers because he didn't listen to RBS who said sell everything. If you base your portfolio selection on the words of one guy who says sell everything you're in the wrong business. Sell everything?? Come on man.

S&P index is down about 10 percent since December already, and more bad news is under way.

Once again I'm not so much talking about where the market is or where it's headed my main issue is with the wording of the report.

The RBS guy is an interest rate strategist & economist. They have a way with hyperbole. But his main worry is spot on. Time for cash under mattress.