Boobie reiterates what some of us knew...

The Big Cat

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the GM sucked and screwed up the talent on the team. It basically has no relationship to what I'm saying.

No. But it has direct bearing on the wild assertions others are making.

Players sure looked like they loved him on Sunday. Looked like they'd die for him, IMO.

Your refusal to answer the question provides the answer. Thank you.

Lets look at the facts...

These players have been under achieving for a while. Everyone blames coaches, but at what point do players get held responsible? Coaches are not gods, they can't fix stupid, and players have to execute and buy in. And I see a team full of guys who mentally don't come through, make too many mistakes, don't always seem to bring it.

Hughes is a perfect example...people flip out on Rex when Hughes does something dumb, which is just about every game it would seem. Yet, they fail to realize he's always done these things its just his positives aren't over shadowing his negatives right now. Add in the fact that we have been hit hard by injuries have to dig into our depth, practice squad, and guys on the street to field teams and that just further adds to the equation.

If you watched this years Hard Knocks - it's ever clear that the coaches rule and the players don't. If you remember JJ Watt was starting to get aggravated with O'brien riding him - but he found a way on his own to say for the betterment of the team I need to suck this up and gather the players and stay behind the coaches.

Well that didn't happen here. The coaches are the Gods and they can make life miserable for you and cost you millions of dollars. The secure players like Dareus and Mario spoke out - it still didn't work. That's on Rex. The players follow the coaches - it's most certainly a dictatorship. Rex's scheme didn't work and he didn't have players support - hence we suck.

If you're going to flatly deny that reality, then there's no use discussing anything with you.

Because the game plan against the Pats* was going so well while he was in there. For Pete's sake he got injured on a touchdown where all 11 guys were out of position. Your whole line of reasoning is neither a line, because it zigs and zags, nor reasoning, because it is irrational.

No. But it has direct bearing on the wild assertions others are making.

Your refusal to answer the question provides the answer. Thank you.

Awesome. Maybe Rex's AFCCG appearances roll-over to this season too.

His reputation is irrelevant if the players don't love him here. His reputation as a "genius" who can frustrate and beat BB are irrelevant if he loses to them here. His achievements on the Jets are irrelevant if he has a ****ty record here.

Edited by FireChan

Two critical questions:

• Has Rex's scheme worked elsewhere?
  • Does Rex have a reputation for having players that love him?
I don't understand the point of your first question in regards to this thread.

As for the second, it's just my opinion of course, but players liking him just doesn't matter. I think I've seen someone else say this here before, but everyone likes the teachers in school who are cool with the students and don't make them follow the rules. Makes for a fun class, but doesn't get the job done (create intelligent students, or in this case win games).

Whether you care for the analogy or not, my point is the same in regards to the players "liking" him. It just doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Of course going too far the other way has it's own issues. If players absolutely hate a coach they probably aren't going to play hard for him. But the league is full of coaches that find a middle ground.

Sounds like a group crying for leadership. I'm normally not a fire everybody guy but I wouldn't be upset if they let Rex and Whaley go. Rex has a six year track record of exactly what we saw this year. An undisciplined underachieving team. He is likely not the guy. I would applaud the Pegulas for acknowledging the mistake. There are some pieces here. My vote would be Hue Jackson from Cincy. Perfect guy to continue to develop Tyrod. Bring in a 4-3 D coordinator so we don't have to rebuild the entire front seven.

Two critical questions:

1. Has Rex's scheme worked elsewhere?
  2. Does Rex have a reputation for having players that love him?

1. Yes. And so did Casey Stengel's.

2. Yes and he has had it for a long time. Maybe so long that he has taken it for granted because it sure as heck looked like he was mailing it in on a lot of occasions. Too lazy to adapt his scheme for the roster/opposition? Too dumb? Too dense to realize there was a serious gap in the defenses performance by say the Bengals game?

Because the game plan against the Pats* was going so well while he was in there. For Pete's sake he got injured on a touchdown where all 11 guys were out of position. Your whole line of reasoning is neither a line, because it zigs and zags, nor reasoning, because it is irrational.

And he also got injured by displaying horrible and aggressive tackling technique, just like Gilmore.

It's the players AND the coaches. The answer is BOTH.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

He will not acknowledge it. Don't bother. Is unwillingness to do so is very very telling.

Not only that he was acting like an out of control B word in that game.

I like Aaron Williams although I think it is probably in his best interest to hang it up.

I just don't have any illusions that missing him was somehow like missing Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

Isn't it pretty simple?

We had a great defense last year - Rex has had great defenses in his career

What happened?

They couldn't get on the same page and it didn't work. Is it shared blame equally? Is it more Rex or more the players? How in the hell are we to know - but it's pretty clear the person ultimately in charge of making it work and the person that did all the talking is Rex.

Two critical questions:

1. Has Rex's scheme worked elsewhere?
  2. Does Rex have a reputation for having players that love him?

The Rex apologists are out in force, and the stupidity hurts. His "scheme" worked with a Ray Lewis led Ravens' defense, and it worked for a couple of years with a Jets team that Ryan didn't build, but for the last five years it has been in the bottom half of the league for points allowed, he is a sub .500 head coach, he has flat out lied (promised not to impose his "scheme" on the team if the personnel didn't dictate use of it), been a complete jackass in his selection of captains, filled the roster and coaching staff with rejects from his failed Jets' teams, has had horrible game management, and overall been an absolute douche bag. And why does having a reputation for having players love him signify he is a good head coach? There is no evidence that they have played harder or smarter because the "love" Rex. Sorry, but at some point Rex and his myoptic apologists can't keep blaming everyone else for his failures. 5 straight non-winning seasons speaks volumes, and why shouldn't Rex be held accountable?

I think you (and other fans like you) are sorely mistaken about what leadership is.

What I see is a coach leading his players to the water. And you fans like you saying he failed them for not telling them/forcing them to drink it.

Well, fair enough. I think you (and anyone who subscribes to your view) are sorely mistaken about what leadership is.

Leadership is persuading the people you lead that the water is marvelous and it is in their interest to drink it, nay, it is in their interest to extoll the drinking of the water and exert all their powers to see that their peers do drink, whilst at the same time instilling the belief that those who fail to drink shall be cast into the abyss. Leaders (and coaches must be leaders) inspire people to buy into their plan, while at the same time inspiring them to use all their efforts to get everyone on the same page.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And that still leaves the question of game planning and management: ineffective schemes, inappropriate play calling for down and distance, poor clock management, poor challenge decisions, and lack of halftime adjustments

That's the problem with a players coach. Coach's need to be leaders. This guys are young, and need a mentor. The players, left alone, will have a me mentality.

I am trying to remember one play this year where the defense stepped up and made a key play.

rambo INT vs jets, Hughes strip sack vs Miami

Well, fair enough. I think you (and anyone who subscribes to your view) are sorely mistaken about what leadership is.

Leadership is persuading the people you lead that the water is marvelous and it is in their interest to drink it, nay, it is in their interest to extoll the drinking of the water and exert all their powers to see that their peers do drink, whilst at the same time instilling the belief that those who fail to drink shall be cast into the abyss. Leaders (and coaches must be leaders) inspire people to buy into their plan, while at the same time inspiring them to use all their efforts to get everyone on the same page.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And that still leaves the question of game planning and management: ineffective schemes, inappropriate play calling for down and distance, poor clock management, poor challenge decisions, and lack of halftime adjustments

Some coaches and players are born leaders. Not all players are either born or transform into leaders. That is just the way it is. Where there is a dearth of player leadership the coach absolutely needs to help spawn leaders among the players. He needs to recognize who can be a leader and how they can lead. He needs to communicate that to the player directly or indirectly. Standing on the side and hoping it will happen is not how a coach leads. A farmer does not stand on the side of an unplowed unwatered field and blame the corn for not growing.

Some coaches and players are born leaders. Not all players are either born or transform into leaders. That is just the way it is. Where there is a dearth of player leadership the coach absolutely needs to help spawn leaders among the players. He needs to recognize who can be a leader and how they can lead. He needs to communicate that to the player directly or indirectly. Standing on the side and hoping it will happen is not how a coach leads. A farmer does not stand on the side of an unplowed unwatered field and blame the corn for not growing.

Hmmm...the NFL should come up with some sort of program for this. You know, a way to identify the leaders of a team. Maybe come up with a way to give them some sort of tip of the cap on game day.

It's at least worth some thought.