The Real Reason the Defense Has Struggled

Flip Johnson

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the QB question have to do with this? That'd be a separate issue, no?

And just so I can get a sense of where you're coming from, do you think Rex is doing an acceptable job as the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

What does QB have to do with a team not being able to mask injuries to a defense? Um...?

Edited by The Big Cat

I agree. Look at some of the other teams like the Steelers, Patriots, etc.... They find ways to keep winning despite who gets hurt. Even the year when Brady went down for the season and Cassel came in, they didn't miss a beat, Just kept right on winning.

Good lord man, are you really comparing us to the Steelers & Pattriots ? Who are their QB's.

I'm sure Belichick would give up if his team had some injuries. What a joke of a thread this is!

It really is and a few Bills fans stalwarts who refuse to see the truth of the situation, and blindly keep defending this head coach.

What does it say to everyone when you have the players themselves complaining about the scheme and how they are being utilized in it since training camp. OK don't believe other fans, but at least, listen to what the Players themselves have been saying.

This article was written after that week two debacle against the Patriots, http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

"In another significant change, Kyle Williams often finds himself lining up outside, in a standing position, rather than inside and in a three-point stance as he was last year. He also will move laterally, in an effort to draw blockers from other defenders."

“We play better up front when they just let us go,” Dareus said Wednesday. “... Now we have more responsibilities and more things going here and there. It’s just playing inside the defense and playing under control, so that the blitzing schemes and everything fit perfectly.

What those two players are talking about is being used for gap control, dropping into pass coverage over being used to simply rush the passer.

Funny, because literally every play by play all-22 analysis says otherwise.

Really, link the article then!

It really is and a few Bills fans stalwarts who refuse to see the truth of the situation, and blindly keep defending this head coach.

What does it say to everyone when you have the players themselves complaining about the scheme and how they are being utilized in it since training camp. OK don't believe other fans, but at least, listen to what the Players themselves have been saying.

This article was written after that week two debacle against the Patriots, http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

"In another significant change, Kyle Williams often finds himself lining up outside, in a standing position, rather than inside and in a three-point stance as he was last year. He also will move laterally, in an effort to draw blockers from other defenders."

“We play better up front when they just let us go,” Dareus said Wednesday. “... Now we have more responsibilities and more things going here and there. It’s just playing inside the defense and playing under control, so that the blitzing schemes and everything fit perfectly.

What those two players are talking about is being used for gap control, dropping into pass coverage over being used to simply rush the passer.

Really, link the article then!

Well, reporters who actually watch film say otherwise.

http://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/679408513593032705

And that link's not two months old!

You didn't answer my question.

Do you think Rex Ryan is doing an acceptable job as head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

I believe that injuries and immature petulance from the players and leadership on offense that was too-late emerging in Fred's absence all add up to a terribly disappointing season. But I don't believe it's a reflection of the head coach to the extent that we can accurately evaluate him as a success (which he's obviously not) or as a failure (which the last three weeks on this message board will indicate, is highly debatable).

Edited by The Big Cat

You keep saying that, but showe the proof. Why does every big play against this defense happen against a four or a five man rush and not when Mario or Dareus are in coverage. If you harp on the few instances when the pass rushers were in coverage, then point to the specific plays when it hurt the team. (PS, I'm guessing the plays where Hughes dropped into coverage and broke up passes don't count)

The real story is that these players haven't been able to generate a pass rush whether in a straight up defense or in a blitz. Part of it is coaching, but a part is lackadaisical effort from the players.

Show you the proof? Watch the games! But OK!

When Ryan has his defense rush the passer and Blitz they have been highly successful i.e. that second Patriots game! When Ryan was able to get pressure on Brady 50% of the drop backs.

Then from week two,

"Ryan's defensive game plan couldn't put pressure on Tom Brady -- the Bills disrupted (a sack, batted ball, passed defense or interception) only 9.8 percent of Brady's dropbacks, a lower rate than in any of the Bills' 2014 games -- and he never seemed to have an effective plan for stopping either Rob Gronkowski or Julian Edelman."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21042/bills-breakdowns-vs-patriots-start-with-rex-ryan-defensive-staff

That enough proof? To rush the passer 50%, and have it effectively work to rushing the passer less than 10% and get scorched in the passing game.

When Ryan has his defense rush the passer and Blitz they have been highly successful i.e. that second Patriots game! When Ryan was able to get pressure on Brady 50% of the drop backs.

Then from week two,

"Ryan's defensive game plan couldn't put pressure on Tom Brady -- the Bills disrupted (a sack, batted ball, passed defense or interception) only 9.8 percent of Brady's dropbacks, a lower rate than in any of the Bills' 2014 games -- and he never seemed to have an effective plan for stopping either Rob Gronkowski or Julian Edelman."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21042/bills-breakdowns-vs-patriots-start-with-rex-ryan-defensive-staff

That enough proof? To rush the passer 50%, and have it effectively work to rushing the passer less than 10% and get scorched in the passing game.

You just ignored the film study link I shared, didn't you?

They had problems since week 2. Once Belichick showed the NFL how to play us it was over. Rex had no answer.

Correct. I'd even offer that the Colts had the defense figured out at the half and if it wasn't for being the first game (new personnel,etc), that score would have been a lot closer.

Rex Ryan doesn't feel he has to adapt to conditions or evolve and his scheme will undoubtedly prevail. This has been the Bills #1 critical failure. They keep hiring these stonecutter mentality coaches where they just keep plugging away in anticipation of a breakthrough. With all the technology and brilliant minds around the league, your "scheme" works for a game before it's figured out.

Edited by dpberr

You just ignored the film study link I shared, didn't you?

I saw no link, just a twitter feed

Oh, and BTW in that second Patriots game in which the Bills were able to get all that pressure on Tom Brady to make him scream like a little girl

Mario was out with an injury, Aaron Williams was out with an injury, Kyle Williams was out with an injury. The injury excuse is a lame one!

Show me the link for the all 22 like you posted about!

Mario has been injured, and has been ill too. This isn't about one player its about the entire defense!

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Just go through his timeline, it's play by play gifs

I saw no link, just a twitter feed

Oh, and BTW in that second Patriots game in which the Bills were able to get all that pressure on Tom Brady to make him scream like a little girl

Mario was out with an injury, Aaron Williams was out with an injury, Kyle Williams was out with an injury. The injury excuse is a lame one!

Yeah he tweets gifs from the all 22's.

He also tweeted TODAY that d-lineman don't drop into coverage NEARLY as much as bellyachers insist, like hardly at all.

Again, not letting Rex off the hook for failure to get players coached up and understanding what he is trying to accomplish.

But to refer back to the second Pats game, where we all appear to agree that the game plan was sound and the defense was aggressive: the Pats biggest play happened because DUKE Williams missed a tackle. Duke is playing because of injuries.

Does anyone think that if Schwartz was here and just letting the front four loose that Kevin Reddick, AJ Tarpley, Manny Lawson, Tony Steward, and Randell Johnson would be effective at the second level?

A

Then from week two,

That link talks about the lines inability to get to the QB, not that they were dropping into coverage as you insist

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Just go through his timeline, it's play by play gifs

Yeah he tweets gifs from the all 22's.

He also tweeted TODAY that d-lineman don't drop into coverage NEARLY as much as bellyachers insist, like hardly at all.

What I took away from that is a lack of team discipline. Bad defensive play calls. All pretty damning stuff to indict a bad defense

You always see this... guys running around, not set, when the ball is snapped

CW2InSBWsAAlXNN.jpg

Poor Rex, damn if he does call a blitz, damned if he doesn't. Next 3rd down, sends the house, nobody covers the out

Preston Brown says even the slowest offenses have been hurrying to the line because they knew the Bills defense has issues with play calls.

Remember the 4th down and one for the Redskins where they line up, and sure enough, a Bills defender is called for a penalty. Thus giving the Redskins a first down by penalty.They then went on to score

Edited by Nihilarian

The Bills d line doesn't drop back into coverage nearly as much as fans say they do... BUT... Watching Mario rush all year as well as others not named Hughes, you can tell that there jobs were not to go hell bent after the QB but to contain rush. Not go for sacks. Mario did it the whole year. A lot of people took a lot of those plays as lack of effort. After awhile I agree he gave up. But most of the early lack of effort plays were not, they were contain rushes. And it was a disaster.

I hate Rex and this D. But, I do think the D line dropping into coverage is blown up a little and it is the exception not the rule. But, I don't understand not blitzing besides 3-5 games at best.

The Bills d line doesn't drop back into coverage nearly as much as fans say they do... BUT... Watching Mario rush all year as well as others not named Hughes, you can tell that there jobs were not to go hell bent after the QB but to contain rush. Not go for sacks. Mario did it the whole year. A lot of people took a lot of those plays as lack of effort. After awhile I agree he gave up. But most of the early lack of effort plays were not, they were contain rushes. And it was a disaster.

Agreed. Edited by Manther

That link talks about the lines inability to get to the QB, not that they were dropping into coverage as you insist

You asked me to show you the proof that the difference was the lack of Blitzing and that is exactly what I did.

If you want proof that the players are dropping far, far to often into pass coverages? well then, why not listen to them.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

"Both Dareus and Williams griped about how much the Bills pass rushing (and highly paid) defensive line was being asked to drop into coverage instead of rushing the passer. It was way too much in their estimation. I had the exact same complaint after watching them lose to the Bengals."

Edited by Nihilarian