The Real Reason the Defense Has Struggled

Flip Johnson

Exactly!

The injuries are NOT an excuse because the Bills showed that horrible, terrible passive 10-15 yards off the line, no pass rush scheme since week TWO!

And everyone was healthy at that point. Rex Ryan apologized and said it was all on him, and he would fix it. He never did! All season we saw that same craptastic defense except for the next Patriots game in which the defense was able to pressure Brady on 20 of his 40 drop backs.

This. The defense was in the crapper long before the injuries hit. I thought we turned the corner in the 2nd Cheats game, when we beat the ever-lovin' crap outta Marcia. But nooooooooooo, we were back to the pu$$y passive defense against the Chefs, letting Alex Smith sit back there all day and pick us apart. The real reason the defense struggled is that Ryan didn't use the personnel he had wisely. Now we're supposed to re-tool the 2014 #4 defense to suit his system. That is bullshyte.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If injuries are the problem, why aren't any of the players pointing to that? They aren't, they are pointing out all the silly scheme related problems.

It's the coaching.

Seriously, it's almost comical how some posters are so blindly loyal that they simply refute the truth over, and over.

Marcell Dareus has been very vocal about how he is being used in Rex Ryan's defensive scheme since training camp. This is a fact! Since that time in week six Mario Williams joined him in publically stating its the scheme.

"Mario Williams doesn't like what Rex Ryan did to the Bills defense, and he's right"

Read the article!

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

If that's true then please explain how the stifled Brady and company the 2nd time in Foxboro on MNF. Did my eyes deceive me that night?

He simply changed his defensive play calls and scheme for this one singular game, and it was highly successful. Which leads to a better question in why hasn't he been using that scheme all year, and why not use it for the remaining games?

Rex Ryan was able to have his defense get to Brady on 20 of his 40 drop backs which is 50%. The Bills had Brady so flustered that he was literally screaming at his offensive line.

The sad truth is Rex Ryan went back to his craptastic scheme he ran in that first Patriots game the rest of the year, and that is the reason the 2015 Buffalo Bills are currently 30th in QB sacks!

Edited by Nihilarian

Isn't very exciting.

It is the injuries.

And this is not an excuse.

In 2014 the base defense was:

Mario, Kyle, Dareus, and Hughes up front. Together they missed a grand total of two games, one was for suspension.

The starting linebacking corps was Preston Brown, Brandon Spikes, and Nigel Bradham. They missed two games, one was for suspension.

The starting secondary was Gilmore, McKelvin, Searcy, and Aaron Williams, with Robey & Graham playing extensively. McKelvin suffered the only serious injury of the year in November. Gilmore missed two games, and Aaron Williams missed one.

The key subs on that team (Corbin Bryant, Stefan Charles, Duke Williams, Baccari Rambo, Manny Lawson) were all healthy.

2015:

Kyle Williams played six games and is IR'd

Aaron Williams has basically missed the entire year.

McKelvin missed more than half the season.

Mario has obviously been playing through injury and is in physical decline.

Ty Powell out all season.

Gilmore missed four.

Bradham has missed three games and counting.

This combined with our strict attention to offense in the offseason means that our effective part-time players (Bryant, Lawson, Rambo) are playing all the time and getting exposed, and our depth guys are the likes of Randall Johnson, Ron Brooks, AJ Tarpley, IK Enemkpali, Kevin Reddick, TJ Barnes, etc.

The defense on the field against the Eagles and Redskins is not a talented defense. We can talk about scheme or Mario's discontent, but it isn't the point.

This is not an excuse - it means Whaley needs to find better depth and Rex needs to get more out of marginal players. There seems to be a narrative that this is a highly talented defense that has underperformed. It is in reality, a defense with 3-5 excellent players, some of whom have been hurt, and a lot of backups.

Thank you for being the voice of reason on this subject.

Seriously, it's almost comical how some posters are so blindly loyal that they simply refute the truth over, and over.

Marcell Dareus has been very vocal about how he is being used in Rex Ryan's defensive scheme since training camp. This is a fact! Since that time in week six Mario Williams joined him in publically stating its the scheme.

"Mario Williams doesn't like what Rex Ryan did to the Bills defense, and he's right"

Read the article!

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

He simply changed his defensive play calls and scheme for this one singular game, and it was highly successful. Which leads to a better question in why hasn't he been using that scheme all year, and why not use it for the remaining games?

Rex Ryan was able to have his defense get to Brady on 20 of his 40 drop backs which is 50%. The Bills had Brady so flustered that he was literally screaming at his offensive line.

The sad truth is Rex Ryan went back to his craptastic scheme he ran in that first Patriots game the rest of the year, and that is the reason the 2015 Buffalo Bills are currently 30th in QB sacks!

I think they were also pretty effective against the Jets and Texans. The defense has been highly inconsistent with some of that being on Rex/Thurman, some on the players no executing, and also partly on key players being out due to injury.

Yes they were and no they weren't.

Fans like you choose to not accept this reality. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Big Cat - not sure what to say.... I choose to accept the fact that good teams find ways to win even with injuries.

No teams go without key injuries each year. Good ones, and WELL COACHED ones find ways to win.

Again, I believe injuries didn't help us... But I choose to accept the fact that we were a poorly coached team that failed despite having many opportunities to succeed.

Big Cat - not sure what to say.... I choose to accept the fact that good teams find ways to win even with injuries.

No teams go without key injuries each year. Good ones, and WELL COACHED ones find ways to win.

Again, I believe injuries didn't help us... But I choose to accept the fact that we were a poorly coached team that failed despite having many opportunities to succeed.

Can you name these "good teams?"

Do any of them perchance have quarterbacks who can successfully throw the ball 40-50 times a game?

Do any of them perchance have quarterbacks who can successfully throw the ball 40-50 times a game?

Hey Big Cat, is it cause for concern that a 6th year HC still struggles with calling defensive plays? Or nah, the players aren't leaders/buying in/injuries?

I'm sure Belichick would give up if his team had some injuries. What a joke of a thread this is!

If the Bills and Pats traded each team's players and Tom Brady became the starting QB for the Bills, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bills would be the ones going to the playoffs . . . .

I think they were also pretty effective against the Jets and Texans. The defense has been highly inconsistent with some of that being on Rex/Thurman, some on the players no executing, and also partly on key players being out due to injury.

The entire key difference to what Ryan did with the Jets, and what he did this year in Buffalo was the lack of blitzing.

Last year the team was 1st in sacks, the year before was #2 in sacks to now 30th isn't an easy feat to accomplish. Why don't you want to listen to the players themselves calling out their coaches over a bad scheme?

Read the article! It will tell you that the Defensive linemen are being asked to drop far, far to often into pass coverage. That the DT's are being asked to control the gaps over rushing the passer. Then there simply enough blitzing being called.

Watch the games and you would see the Bills rarely send more than are defending, and when they do blitz itrs very successful.

Still struggles? You're really something.

Okay, fine. A 6th year HC is struggling calling plays. Cause for concern? Did Mario tamper with the headsets?

He's been running his system for 6 years, no? And he's struggling to call plays? Clemson game on his mind?

Edited by FireChan

Read the article! It will tell you that the Defensive linemen are being asked to drop far, far to often into pass coverage. That the DT's are being asked to control the gaps over rushing the passer. Then there simply enough blitzing being called.

Funny, because literally every play by play all-22 analysis says otherwise.

The entire key difference to what Ryan did with the Jets, and what he did this year in Buffalo was the lack of blitzing.

Last year the team was 1st in sacks, the year before was #2 in sacks to now 30th isn't an easy feat to accomplish. Why don't you want to listen to the players themselves calling out their coaches over a bad scheme?

Watch the games and you would see the Bills rarely send more than are defending, and when they do blitz itrs very successful.

You keep saying that, but showe the proof. Why does every big play against this defense happen against a four or a five man rush and not when Mario or Dareus are in coverage. If you harp on the few instances when the pass rushers were in coverage, then point to the specific plays when it hurt the team. (PS, I'm guessing the plays where Hughes dropped into coverage and broke up passes don't count)

The real story is that these players haven't been able to generate a pass rush whether in a straight up defense or in a blitz. Part of it is coaching, but a part is lackadaisical effort from the players.

What does the QB question have to do with this? That'd be a separate issue, no?

And just so I can get a sense of where you're coming from, do you think Rex is doing an acceptable job as the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

Like most things, there are several reasons working simultaneously. This is one of them for sure. I don't think it's the biggest.

There is no question Rex screwed this defense up from the get go, in at east four significant ways. He screwed with the scheme, he didn't put guys in positions to succeed, he had TERRIBLE game plans too often, he got away from the one thing that made him good, he didn't get the calls in, and he didn't adapt to the glaring problems either in game or between games.

It was just a horrible coaching job, although the players with their mistakes, whining, lack of effort at times and mindless penalties added to the myriad of problems. There is a lot of blame to go around and everyone is responsible, but none more than Rex.

That about covers the defense....