Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

That's one philosophy. It reportedly drove the trade of Marshawn Lynch to the Seahawks for a bag of used footballs and some popcorn. How did that work out for us?

Tip: the best coaches manage to take malcontent talented players and turn them into performers.

I would agree with any strategy that resulted in winning. I would be willing to tab Mario as a "chief malcontent" if the rest of the team were displaying discipline or drive. BUT THEY AREN'T. We see undisciplined play and stupid penalties all across the D and ST, consistently, game after game. Rex's system appears to rely on undisciplined crap, I'm sorry to say. When the nail sticks out, you hammer it down. When the board is full of nails sticking out every which way, you ask if you've got a functional hammer.

This reeks to me of "scapegoating" a "name" player and it sounds rotten.

Was Marshawn truly a malcontent, or did he get caught behind a shiny new draftee?

Mario is clearly the scapegoat, but why shouldn't he be? His performance shows the biggest decline and he's supposed to be one of the leaders on D. Funny how Rex's D can get production of out Aaron Maybins of this world but suddenly sucks when you ask Mario Williams to execute it.

This defense has been a hot mess, but I think that a part of it was Ryan's naivete about the players and how they would buy into his system. I'm guessing he's as blown away as we are at the results. It's easy to say now that his system isn't working and it's too late to fix anything since the root was set in the summer. Blame his overconfidence and bluster in thinking that the players would buy into his system because he's Rex.

I'm guessing if he had to do it over again, he would approach the team differently.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above is beyond dispute and there are now countless examples.

Someone said in another thread that Bills Fans tend to get behind and blindly support someone who doesn't completely suck. Well I have seen this many, many times and that is Whaley imo. He IS bad but he doesn't 100%, totally suck like Rex.

Either way, if they get rid if Whaley I will either not care or be slightly glad.

Again, jmo.

I disagree that Whaley is bad to be honest. I think he is a good General Manager. I accept that he has made a lot of moves that will split the fan base, but I think generally this team has been much improved in its drafting in the Whaley era (both as the Assistant GM and the GM).

I will be furious if they fire Whaley to keep and prop up Rex and my preference would be to keep Whaley and give him full control of the coaching hire without interference. However, I am at the stage where if the only way to get rid of Rex Ryan is to clean the whole damn house then I am for it.

interesting point. I mean, take it fwiw always when it's from Twitter. But he had the Rex hire first on Twitter (apparently - I wasn't following him at the time but according to others) and he had a ton of info on the Hughes negotiations which were pretty accurate.

This dude has been spot on with big news...IIRC he broke Roman as OC before that was on anyone's radar and I think he also knew that Pegs was going to get us before anyone else too...Dude must be BFFs with Brandon or someone really close to Russ - that is the only way he would know what is going down...

Chris Brown on WGR now. Jim Schwartz was leaving unless offered the head coaching job.

Hindsight being 20/20, maybe offering the job to Schwartz (reporting directly to Whaley), still bringing in Roman and a new ST coach, and making all of the same player personnel moves, would've put us in the playoffs this year. Oh well...

It's all relative. This offense doesn't pass a whole lot. But I guess anything to fit your narrative. You're not nearly as intelligent as you think yourself.

If the offense doesn't pass a whole lot, why overpay for a pass catcher? Seems sorta stupid.

I'm not intelligent, says the guy who takes potshots and runs from every thread. I'll take it into consideration, don't worry.

I'm not sure that Bill would even be in the same situation because I think he sets a much more disciplined, structured, team-first approach then Rex.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant with my "board of nails" analogy. If you have one diva (one nail sticking out) you hammer it down.

If you have undisciplined and/or unstructured/"lazy" play across the board, IMO it's then fair to ask "why is that?" - especially if you have a player who played with a high effort last year

Was Marshawn truly a malcontent, or did he get caught behind a shiny new draftee?

Mario is clearly the scapegoat, but why shouldn't he be? His performance shows the biggest decline and he's supposed to be one of the leaders on D. Funny how Rex's D can get production of out Aaron Maybins of this world but suddenly sucks when you ask Mario Williams to execute it.

This defense has been a hot mess, but I think that a part of it was Ryan's naivete about the players and how they would buy into his system. I'm guessing he's as blown away as we are at the results. It's easy to say now that his system isn't working and it's too late to fix anything since the root was set in the summer. Blame his overconfidence and bluster in thinking that the players would buy into his system because he's Rex.

I'm guessing if he had to do it over again, he would approach the team differently.

Malcontent. Without a doubt. And it was never a choice between Lynch and Spiller. It was between Lynch and Fred.

Pegulas make mistakes but I really hope they don't make moves just to sell fans on "change".

The only czar they should be looking for is a Quarterback czar. That czar is responsible for gathering intelligence on all QB's in the next three drafts and reports directly to Whaley.

Pegula leaves Whaley in place but tells him to get at least 2 QB's in the next 3 drafts that he can develop.

That seems silly. Football Czar is a great place to start. QB Czar is not the next step at all.

Malcontent. Without a doubt. And it was never a choice between Lynch and Spiller. It was between Lynch and Fred.

I don't recall Marshawn being a malcontent when he was here. There were many concerns about off-team behavior, but point me to where he wasn't content with the team?

Well, be careful what you wish for. Bill Polian would have been a disaster! That would have set us back for many years with his son running the draft.

Pat Lafontaine was a very bad idea as well.

I like the Pegulas. But they are human and their first two czar ideas were a cure that would have killed the patient.

I don't need to be careful of anything...

I firmly believe in this day and age we can do better than Rex Ryan...I'm not going to be careful in my opinion of that...There are people out there capable of turning this Franchise around...Am I confident the Pegs will find them? Of course I'm not...I'm a Bills fan for God's sake...Nothing goes right...But we can do better than Ryan...That much I am sure of...

Whether or not this all comes to positive fruition I have no idea because my team sucks and has for 16 years now... B-)

If the offense doesn't pass a whole lot, why overpay for a pass catcher? Seems sorta stupid.

I'm not intelligent, says the guy who takes potshots and runs from every thread. I'll take it into consideration, don't worry.

To be fair the reason they went for Clay was because he was hybrid TE who could do it all. He was the most complete TE on the FA market. If they just wanted a "pass catcher" there were other options. His ability to be that hybrid H-back type and stay in to block was a key reason for them pursuing him I believe - and the Bills said so at the time.

It seems to me as soon as the team has a unit that performs they find a way to blow it up. When Jouron was here the D played well, but were on the field so long the got burned at the end of games, answer Gailey. Galiey switch the D and improve the O, the D suffered. Next Marrone. He replaced the O with his own ideas and fix the D. The O suffered answer, Rex while the O isn't perfect it is somewhat productive, but his change in scheme destroyed the D.

I know we all get fed up as fans and demand a chance, but if there was more vision from those in power there are several scenarios that could have seen a well rounded playoff team in the last 10 years.

Some thoughts:

Keep Jouron, force a real OC on him and get him players

Keep Gailey Force a real DC on him already had the D players.

Hire Schwartz as HC and require OC approval.

I don't think any would have been a hit, but it may have been the vision the team has been lacking over the last 10 years. I know the drought has been longer than that, but I believe that Donahue had a vision whether we liked it or not.

To be fair the reason they went for Clay was because he was hybrid TE who could do it all. He was the most complete TE on the FA market. If they just wanted a "pass catcher" there were other options. His ability to be that hybrid H-back type and stay in to block was a key reason for them pursuing him I believe - and the Bills said so at the time.

That's true. I do think we'd have been just fine in regards to cap and personnel if we signed a guy like Gresham for a quarter of the money.

I'll go with "hard sell". Fans on message boards were very down on Lynch. There were a number of off-field incidents and rumors swirling in relation to him. The pitchforks were already sharpened and the torches were getting a fresh dip in the tar bucket.

Dealing him was something Buddy Nix clearly did not want to do. But it was done. And the more palatable, presentable, and fresher faces were left.

Marshawn has gone on to have a career than might see him in Canton.

There are much bigger issues regarding Rex as a deficient coach that have little to do with his inability to bring in aging veteran players to teach his "system". Rex's record as a coach in NY was a losing record. By the time he got fired the team he was instrumental in assembling and coaching was in chaos.

When you describe the character of a Rex coached team one word that won't be associated with it is discipline. Another word not associated with a Rex coached team is intelligence. Another word not associated with his teams is maturity.

People are now bringing up hypothetical issues such as "what if this" and "what if that" in order to explain the stunning descent of a team. What has happened with the Bills should not have been a surprise. The same destructive cycle happened in NY. Our organization enthusiastically hired a failed HC that another organization was relieved to get rid of. Rex didn't have a successful tenure in NY. He had a cumulative losing record. Yet the Bills' organization found him to be an appealing candidate based on an impressive interview. Just think about it. A bullshiiiit interview proved to be more persuasive than a six year losing record ending in chaos

The Jets are now a stabilized organization under a stolid but professional coach. This year they weren't subjected to the circus act that always surrounds this attention grabbing hound dog coach. When one of their marginal players punched their qb in the locker room and broke his jaw the Jets immediately responded by cutting him. Our clown coach immediately added him to the roster. That's the type of thuggish and dump player that appeals to this fool coach. The bottom line is that the Rex Ryan that we now got is the Rex Ryan we brought in.

Rex is the anti-Marrone. After what the organization went through with his attitude and demeanor, the pendulum swung the other way and they fell in love with the bravado and talk like almost everyone always does. He is the type of guy I would love to have a beer with and break balls with, but just is not HC material.