New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on, His truth is marching
Glory, glory, Hallelujah! Glory, glory, Hallelujah!
Glory, glory, Hallelujah! His truth is marching on
I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps
His day is marching on
Hallelujah, Hallelujah!
In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea
With a glory in His

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday to remove one of the country’s most iconic monuments to the Confederacy, a statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee along Richmond’s prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told The Associated Press.

The move would be an extraordinary victory for civil rights activists, whose calls for the removal of that monument and others in this former capital of the Confederacy have been resisted for years.

“That is a symbol for so many people, black and otherwise, of a time gone by of hate and oppression and being made to feel less than,” said Del. Jay Jones, a black lawmaker from Norfolk. He said he was “overcome” by emotion when he learned the statue was to come down.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:33 AM, Tiberius said:

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday to remove one of the country’s most iconic monuments to the Confederacy, a statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee along Richmond’s prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told The Associated Press.

The move would be an extraordinary victory for civil rights activists, whose calls for the removal of that monument and others in this former capital of the Confederacy have been resisted for years.

“That is a symbol for so many people, black and otherwise, of a time gone by of hate and oppression and being made to feel less than,” said Del. Jay Jones, a black lawmaker from Norfolk. He said he was “overcome” by emotion when he learned the statue was to come down.

I wonder which outfit Northam will wear at the removal ceremony?

2032067579_RalphNortham.png.2e699e25b09974e912101e1c4be705e6.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

SMASH ALL THE STATUES: 

Get Gandhi! 

“Unknown miscreants vandalised the statue of Mahatma Gandhi outside the Indian embassy in Washington DC with graffiti and spray paint, prompting the mission to register a complaint with the local law enforcement agencies.”

I wouldn’t have taken Antifa to be Commentary readers, but evidently they’re big fans of the Greatest Movie Review Ever Written.

Since the left have long wanted to bring the Fairness Doctrine back, they’re applying its rules to the statues they desecrate: Black Lives Matter protests: Volunteers scrub ‘Churchill was a racist’ graffiti off London statue.

Wait until Antifa discovers that Churchill’s opponent during WWII was both racist and fa — to the max.

In Memoriam, For A Memorial—A Tribute To ‘Appomattox’

No more shall the war cry sever,
Or the winding rivers be red;
They banish our anger forever
When they laurel the graves of our dead!
Under the sod and the dew,
Waiting the judgment-day,
Love and tears for the Blue,
Tears and love for the Gray.

At the intersection of Prince and Washington Streets in Alexandria, Virginia, on a circular island amid the to-and-fro of D.C. commuters, atop a Richmond granite plinth, there stands the solitary figure of a man.

His hatless head inclines slightly. His gaze is downcast. His shoulders and mustache sag wearily. His arms, folded in resignation across his chest.

His boots and uniform are worn but not tattered. The passage of time has lent his bronze complexion a greenish patina. The artist has captured him in a moment of defeat and disillusionment—but also of defiance. Turning his back on Washington’s obelisk seven miles distant across the Potomac, he looks away, away down south: to Dixie.

Now change all the verbs to their past tense. Stood. Inclined. Sagged. Were. Had lent. Looked. Per the reporting of the Washington Post as well as my own two eyes, on Tuesday, June 2, the Alexandria Confederate Memorial (also known as “Appomattox”) was carted away to an as-yet-undisclosed location. The act represented the culmination of a multiyear crusade to remove a work of art for all the usual, tired reasons that need no rehearsal here.

{snip}

It represents a Confederate soldier as if viewing the field of strife after the surrender. He stands, dressed in the old familiar uniform of the Confederate private, with folded arms and head bowed forward as if in deep contemplation over the scenes, privation and hard-fought battles through which he had passed, all for a principle which he deemed sacred and righteous, and yet all apparently for nought.

The unveiling of “Appomattox” was a joyful and non-sectional affair. The Gazette again: “The occasion far exceeded in the way of a parade or open-air meeting ever seen in Alexandria, the city from daybreak having put on its holiday attire. Folk gathered from all over the region, coming by boat and carriage and on foot.”

Veterans of the war—now old men—trooped in uniform. Facing their own impending deaths in warm beds and surrounded by children and grandchildren, these men spared a moment to remember the ones who never came home. And so did their former enemies: Union veterans also attended the ceremony en masse, having had the decency to pay their respects to erstwhile foes, now countrymen again. The Rev. Mr. G. H. Norton offered a prayer: ‘May the memories of our departed heroes inspire us with patriotic devotion and may all hatred and strife be buried in their graves.’

With malice toward none and charity for all, indeed.

An Opportunity to Learn

Posterity—namely, ourselves, neighbors in time and space—was on the minds of Alexandrians that day in selecting the placement of the statue. “It will be placed where it can be plainly seen from all points, and where it will stand not only a beautiful work of art but an education for future generations in the history of the struggle made by the South for her rights and independence.”

With deference to those who would seek to “recontextualize” the monument in some museum corner, the very grounds on which it stood for so long are imbued with the city’s collective memory.

The point at which the monument has been placed is conceded to be the most central and at the same time the most appropriate in the city. It was from this place that the Alexandria companies took their departure to join fortunes with their Southern brethren, and though several other localities had been suggested, the corner of Prince and Washington streets has ever been looked upon as the most suitable spot on which to place the memorial to the fallen heroes.

We have decided to reject that education, from which we might have profited. Governor Ralph Northam—who could perhaps stand for a little education in Virginia’s history himself—signed a bill in April that ultimately granted Alexandria’s petty city fathers their long-yearned “condemnation of memory.” Northam was abetted by recently elected Democratic majorities in both houses of the Virginia legislature.

The United Daughters of the Confederacy, who have long owned the site and statue, opted to remove the statue a month earlier than planned, apparently out of fear for the memorial’s bodily integrity amidst our present discontent.

“Appomattox” survived gasification, electrification, and asphaltization, a couple of car accidents in the 1920s and 1980s (the evidence of which remains visible on the plinth), segregation, desegregation, integration, industrialization, economic decline, and bourgeois renaissance in Old Town. In the end, it succumbed to unnatural causes in the name of sanctimony and vandalism.

Rest in peace, “Appomattox.”

Don't bother responding with your neutered 'logic' and tired tropes.

As well as any childish, "so you support slavery" ignorance

You need to grow up.

Edited by B-Man

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

What is your solution to black on black violence?

Did you ever tell me yours? You've asked this question enough, you've received enough answers from me and others — have you formed an opinion? Or you can only ask the question?

26 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Did you ever tell me yours? You've asked this question enough, you've received enough answers from me and others — have you formed an opinion? Or you can only ask the question?

I am asking you since you are the one crying about it. I don't live in these communities so it's not my business. It means enough to you to complain about whitey, but you don't care enough to solve the problem at its core.

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

I am asking you since you are the one crying about it. I don't live in these communities so it's not my business. It means enough to you to complain about whitey, but you don't care enough to solve the problem at its core.

How many Black people know who you are and talk to you?

On 6/7/2020 at 2:36 PM, Tiberius said:

download-9.jpg.2b769151ed544b8e04f328e06c352621.jpg

Oh! Another one Bites the Dust! 

imrs-1.webp 156.57 kB · 1 download

Dave Petraeus has a great piece yesterday about renaming military institutions that honor Confederates.   It’s a must-read.  

I don’t believe in melting history - the statue should be preserved somewhere because it is part of the (darker side) of the story of America.   But the time to stop glorifying those who supported the original sin of this country has long since passed. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Have you asked them what their solution is to "Black on Black violence"? Why not? 

No. We don't blame other people for failure or use the race card to get out of our problems. We are simply men.

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Dave Petraeus has a great piece yesterday about renaming military institutions that honor Confederates.   It’s a must-read.  

I don’t believe in melting history - the statue should be preserved somewhere because it is part of the (darker side) of the story of America.   But the time to stop glorifying those who supported the original sin of this country has long since passed. 

A bipartisan group of Mississippi lawmakers, with the blessing of Speaker of the House Philip Gunn, began whipping votes and drafting a resolution on Monday to change the state flag, which was adopted in 1894 and is the last in the nation containing the Confederate battle emblem.
The conversation behind closed doors this week marks one of the first earnest legislative discussions about changing the state flag since the 2001 referendum in which Mississippians voted nearly 2-to-1 to keep the current flag. It also comes as tens of thousands of black Mississippians and their multi-racial allies march the streets to protest racial inequalities in government.

It’s 2020 and there’s still a state flag honoring a rebellion against the United States in support of slavery, so yeah, maybe they should get around to fixing that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Crews paint over Frank Rizzo's mural in South Philadelphia in wake of protests

PHILADELPHIA - Crews are painting over the Frank Rizzo mural in South Philadelphia early Sunday.

The Mural Arts Program, which maintains the mural, says it believes the mural is a 'painful reminder' of the former Democrat mayor's legacy...

“I was appalled they did it in the middle of the night,” South Philadelphia native George Patti said. “Everyone was proud of Frank. I understand the other side, but even if it was divisive, or stands for something bad, I don’t think we should be erasing...

(Excerpt) Read more at fox29.com ...